“I would crawl...”

Dining options: Reservations
Madison, wi
“I would crawl...”
Reviewed May 4, 2014

....over broken glass to eat at this restaurant. Let me tell you why. When you travel what are your options? Steak houses, chinese, bbq, etc...to the point where they all look and taste the same. Not here, not at Mabenka. I'll be concise as possible. How many times in your life in America will you eat at a restaurant that serves authentic Polish and Lithuanian cuisine.

Yes, this place is old school. It's casual and not pretentious. The servers are eastern european. The decor is Americana/eastern european and the food is heavy but so delicious that it nearly brought tears to my Irish eyes.

I ordered the Beet soup to start. If I had stopped eating right then and there I would have been happy. With the soup you get a tender boiled potato and four different types of fresh bread. I then ordered the Lithuanian combo platter.

Omigod. Correct me for spelling errors on this but there is this potato pudding called Kugli, topped with bacon bits and saurekrat and horseradish on the side. Stop. I've never had kraut or horseradish as good as at Mabenka. Then there is the cappellini. This looks like the size of an ostrich egg. It's a huge meat dumpling. I'm an atheist but I kept saying Omigod as I ate this. Plus you get a few cuts of sausage on the side.

The portions are huge. The quality of the total package was excellent. The total cost for two dinners and one Polish beer----$27. I gave the waitress a $16 tip.

Mabenka is the truth. You will have blotation after eating here and you will be a happy person for the experience.

• Visited May 2014
3 Thank keffo

• Polish first
Billings, Montana
“Eating at its finest.”
Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

Lithuanian food that just can't be best? The sauerkraut soup and bet soup are too die for!! If I travel to Chicago I HAVE to stop here for dinner. Size of portions is large and the cost is very reasonable. A must visit restaurant.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank ron k
Hudson, New Hampshire
“Interesting”
Reviewed December 6, 2013

This restaurant is very close to Midway Airport and I have to admit it as a nice experience. The Polish wait staff was as genuinely friendly as any restaurant I have ever been; period. The place was clearly catering to an older crowd with lights so bright you could probably get a month's worth of vitamin D. The food was typical Polish-with HUGE portions and the price for two dinners, two drinks was only about $30. I think there was a sign that said "1.99 for Schnapps." To be honest, the idea of having Polish and Lithuanian food is actually better than actually consuming it. None-the-less it was a nice way to kill an hour before getting a flight. You may want to get to this restaurant before the last customer dies-the patrons are up in age.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank BoilerDaveNH
Chicago, Illinois
“Shame”
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Mabenka have good food but, the service was horrible. We had banquet hall on Saturday the waitress was crabby, SNEEZING, and she was barely talking. IF THE STUFF IS SICK TELL THEM TO STAY HOME . We had to wait a while to get our drinks, she was talking on her phone behind the bar. ???? I ldidn't enjoy my food at all so as my family.

• Visited November 2013
chicago
“Better days for Mabenka”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Kugelis still very good, but some of the food & service has slacked off. First of all we were there @ Sat./noon - asked for duck on quarter left no half - only open 1 hour and out of food already? We asked for lemonade - let's just say it was so watered down there was only a slight taste of lemon. The Lithuanian sausage used to be better & cooked longer.

We were not even half through our meal when were handed carry our materials and soon after the check - just took the rest of my food & went home.

Not up to their best the day we were there.

• Visited November 2013