“Nice Camp Great Staff”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Towyn
Lyon's Winkups Caravan Parks
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Nice Camp Great Staff”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Stayed for 2 weeks in June 2014. Was a bit worried at first as I had read reviews, plus a friend of mine had shown me a face book page which made me very worried about going to Winkups.
Arrived there about 4pm and it only took 5 minutes to book in Eileen the receptionist couldn't have been more helpful nothing seemed to be too much for her - she seems to have the patience of a saint ! Caravan was spotless, far better than we really expected for a dog friendly caravan, but I think it will need replacing in a year or two. The park for the kids was adequate and litter and dog muck free but would be nice if they added a few more things in the park for kids to do. Used the pool a few times and the kids loved it, didn't see any signs of too much chlorine which we had been worried about after reading reviews. Was interested to read that another reviewer that also stayed in June said the pool was shut all week, we were there for 2 weeks and it was open all the time we were there and a friend who also went in June after we had returned home said that it had been open all the time she was there. The shop was adequate but rather over priced so we avoided using it and instead used one 5 minutes walk down the road just past Sonnys Bar. The chip shop was ok cant complain about the food BUT the prices were again a bit too high so we just used a different one down the road.
The main club at the weekends was good, bar staff were very polite and cheerful, bar prices could have been lower but clubs on holiday parks are never the cheapest are they ? Also there is a good choice of bars down the road if you want a change. The amusement arcade just down the road has a café which does good cheap meals if that's your thing. The sports bar is nice but the chairs are a bit on the hard side ! This camp is by no means perfect but I think some of the reviews are a bit unfair and maybe exaggerated but that's just my opinion. Overall you get what you pay for and I really cant find anything major to complain about. Much to my surprise the bin area was clean and tidy most of the time from what I saw, the biggest problem with the bins is the people who just throw their rubbish on the ground rather than lifting the lid and putting their refuse in the bins ! I would encourage friends and relatives to use this camp.I was surprised by how much we enjoyed it - as I said before we were worried about going after reading all the reviews on here and face book -glad we took the risk !

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Grant C
LyonsHolidayParks, Public Relations Manager at Lyon's Winkups Caravan Parks, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Hi Grant, thank you for taking the time out to leave a review on our trip advisor page. We are so happy that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us, we work hard to ensure that all of our accommodation and facilities are cleaned to a high standard. Yes we investigated previous issues raised with the swimming pool and can confirm that it was open every day in June, we can also confirm that chlorine levels are checked on a daily basis and are well within the regulated levels. We are happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your holiday and we hope to have you all stay with us again.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Just got back from a week long stay and unless the kids are on holiday my advice is don't go and nothing on the site will be open.

All week the swimming pool was closed because there aparently wasn't enough people wanting to use it at the same time, so it wasn't worth having a lifeguard working.

Main club closed apart from weekend, with just the smaller bar open with nothing going on so hardly anyone in there, plus overpriced drinks.

Unless you are within 20 metres of the main office the wifi is rubbish, slight signal, but it's so slow it takes you back to the good old days of dial up internet access, plus if you DO get it to work it keeps cutting out.

The amusement arcade is a waste of time, fruit machine payout percentages set as low as they will go, plus the 2p 'pusher' machines, well what can I say, the staff watch you spend 30 mins trying to 'win' a small toy worth about a penny, and as soon as you walk away to get some change they put the toy back to the back of the machine so you have zero chance of getting one, unless you have someone to stand guard till you have fetched more change. Plus you'd have to go a very long way, to find staff as miserable and rude as they are. I had 2 machines go empty on me on the same night even though I'd put loads of £1 coins in, the hoppers only had £20 or so in them and they were going into the bottom cashbox to make you think the machine was full, and there was nobody there who was capable of refilling them, so they just gave what was owed in cash, and turned the machines off, which isn't really fair, as this is just another way of making sure you don't have a chance to get anything back. This happened in the over 18's section and the lad had to pay the owed money by taking coins out of the note changer machine. God knows what he would have done if someone had won big on a £500 jackpot machine!

The chippy when you could catch it open, sells the most disgusting food you can imagine, the chips we had, had obviously been left over from the day before and were recooked full of grease and cold.

The site shop only seemed to have 'fresh' goods, which only had one or two days left before the sell by date had expired.

I hated everything about the place and certainly won't be going back again and disappointed simply isn't the word!

Room Tip: Book somewhere else!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Joe B
LyonsHolidayParks, Public Relations Manager at Lyon's Winkups Caravan Parks, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
We are sorry to hear of the problems you experienced during your stay at Lyons Winkups Holiday Park. Please note that we take all comments very seriously and address each review individually, so that we can keep improving the park experience for holiday guests and caravan owners. After further investigation we can confirm that the pool was open every day, we have spoken with other guests and they were able to use the pool without any difficulty. Any more information you can offer will be of help to us in resolving the issues raised. If you could please get in contact with us so that we can discuss your issues further and work to resolve them. Our email address is marketing@lyonsholidayparks.co.uk, we look forward to working with our customers to improve any issues.
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Had a lovely time here.. The caravan was immaculate very modern and clean.
Staff were very pleasent and helpful, the kids loved the soft play area and the entertainment in the club.
Will defiantly be coming back :)

• Stayed June 2014
4 Thank Lucyleewynne
Hi Lucy, thank you for taking the time to write a trip advisor review, we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you and your family again and hope it won't be too long till your next stay with us.
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2014

We went for the bank holiday break - Fri 23rd until Mon 26th May 2014. When we entered the van, we saw that the curtains didn't match the furniture and were different in every room. The first day we were there, I opened the cutlery drawer to get a spoon and the handle came off in my hand. When I went to make the beds, there was not enough duvets, when I unfolded one of the sheets it revealed a very big dirty stain and hairs. There was no poppers or buttons on any of the duvet covers, although you could clearly see where they used to be. On the day that we were leaving I got the vacuum cleaner out of the cupboard to use it, but found there was no plug. I'm not one to complain and didn't want to spend time complaining when we were on holiday to enjoy ourselves, but a couple of days after we had come back, I got a nasty letter saying we left the caravan in bad way, and that they have had to get the carpets & Duvets cleaned, and that we were not welcome in the future. I wouldn't go there again if you paid me! In reply to the letter, I rang them up hoping to speak to the person who sent the letter or anyone else with any knowledge of our stay, but apparently only the lady available who took my call and she had been off, I left my number and asked her to get someone to call me back and they never did. I was extremely disappointed in the state of the caravan and overall cleanliness of the site, and have now learnt, that I must complain on my stay, so that I don't get accused of leaving it in the state it was already in to begin with.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
13 Thank Sandie W
Salford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2014

We stayed in an 8 berth camp site, caravan was dirty, oven hadn't been cleaned and it smelt of cigarettes (told by another holidayer that cleaners had been sat in smoking) the bins were at the other side of the camp and overflowing that much that everythig was on the floor (it was that way for two weeks unemptied) we saw a rat in the park which we were told had no swings due to being condemned and unsafe (they don't tell guests this) the chips
Shop made my little girl ill for two days and the young lady behind the counter simply said "well it's not our fault" yet she was the only one who had a sausage that evening out of us all. We went I to the swimming pool and a tile fell off the inside of the pool, also when we went into the hot tub my sister cut her foot on the step of the hot tub which had no sealant on it and had expanded so the tiles were open and sharp. We were actually warned in the club at lunch time by a man who said the chlorine was that high in it that his skin was sore.but we didn't want to believe such things from a camp with a high rating. All the drain pipes to the sewers were all open and uncapped too. The camp looks nice but it certainly shouldn't have a 5* rating. Also the reception booking manager was abrupt and rude and spoke to us like dirt when we voiced our concerns about the bins.
We will not recommend this site to anyone. Also no daytime
Entertainment for kids. Over priced passes.

• Stayed August 2013
14 Thank Destiny64
LyonsHolidayParks, Public Relations Manager at Lyon's Winkups Caravan Parks, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Destiny, we are sorry to hear that you had some problems during your stay. With regards to our pool, chlorine levels are tested on a daily basis by ourselves and on a 6-weekly basis by the local authority; we can confirm chlorine levels at Lyons Winkups do fall within local authority guidelines. We are sorry to hear about the hot tub incident; we take this very seriously and following your review we conducted an internal safety assessment and have subsequently re-covered the steps into the hot tub with a safety flooring material. We note that an accident report form was not logged for this incident and would like to point out that had an issue been raised at the time, we would have attempted to rectify the situation immediately. If you would like to discuss the matter further, please do email us at feedback@lyonsholidayparks.co.uk.
wolverhampton
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I took my Dad for a "Sun" Holiday there last week - after reading some of the views a little worried by what we would find - & I have to say that after doing "Sun" Holidays for over 15 years that this was the most friendly welcome we have ever received - & that's by a good way !.
OK the site is a field of caravans, but pretty much all of them along the North Wales Coast are, & as the site was empty of Holidaymakers - it was Rainy October remember ! - most of the facilities were closed with the Shop open, for those without a car & the takeaway opening Friday, Saturday & Sunday (we were there Mon to Fri so I can't comment on the food) - but just for the very warm welcome by the Reception Girls it's well worth considering above the many other sites along this coast. Thanks Girls for making my Dad & I very welcome ;-)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank scookey
Reviewed September 15, 2013

stayed in a caravan here owners were awful. came out to see us with a bouncer!!! off the site because we complained felt intimidated all week. we left the van spotlass and they wouldnt give us deposit back tgey 1st said the carpet dirty then changed mind and said table was damaged. we put a big complaint in to camp they never even responded rubbish customer services not recommended

• Stayed July 2013
17 Thank winkups
Also consider these accommodations in or near Towyn
The Kinmel
#2 of 3 in Prestatyn
Oakfield Caravan Park
Oakfield Caravan Park
#2 of 2 in Kinmel Bay

Been to Lyon's Winkups Caravan Parks? Share your experiences!