“Great park!”

Kankakee River State Park
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I come here often to ride my bike, hike, or just get away for awhile. Doesn't really have great amenities, like bathrooms, but the scenery is great in the fall. They have some campgrounds too.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Hubby and I thought that seeing the Kankakee River from the river was a must do since it was just about an hour from home. We located a canoe rental company (Reeds CanoeRental) that is off the river but will drive you to the banks and drop you off with your lunch, cooler and canoe. We opted for the 4-6 hour trip, hoping to just take our time and watch the world go by. The day was warm, a little overcast and the van driver gave us some super good insights on what to do in case of emergency or weather. He also mentioned various high points of our trip that may be worthwhile including a couple of Swans,we might see. And the location of an American Legion a little past halfway. We went off with a group of other renters that were doing the same as us. For the first hour or so we floated, rowed and just tried to spot various birds. The views and scenery did not disappoint. The river is wide, so it was shallow in many spots (8-12 inches). We saw several sandbars and decided to stop at one point and have a snack. It was quiet, peaceful and the water was warm and clean. After hopping back in the canoe we continued down for another hour or so - at one point we decided to have a cool drink and i was sitting on the bottom of the boat and reached mine easily. When I went to grab Hubby's I had to really stretch- as I did this I found out how easy it is to "tip" a canoe- next thing you know we are taking on water and our coolers are floating, still connected to their bungee, but floating none the less. We rescued our stuff, noticed that the Ziploc bag holding my iPhone had taken on water...cleared the canoe of water and had a good laugh. We hopped back in the canoe (10 inches of water allowed us easy and quick clean up) and off we went....... We noticed the weather was getting dark so we started to plan our exit of the water if needed. Right about that time we noticed that the American Legion was ahead, time for a break! We pulled the canoe out of the water at the shore and walked up the hill to a covered picnic area. We used the bathrooms, and hubby went inside to grab a couple beers and a half pound burger to split- cost $6.50 for all. The Aroma Park American Legion just made our list of places we would visit on a Sunday drive! We waited out a brief downpour and headed back down to finish our journey. The weather turned sunny and warm after, and we were able to stop and swim until we spotted the railroad bridge marking the end of our day. The canoe company was there waiting and we docked about the same time as a few others. They loaded the canoe on a trailer rack, we climbed in the short bus and shortly we were back at our car. The rental was $76 and we had 5.5 hours of pure fun. There were a couple of families on the river that day and kids from age 6 to teens, all seemed to be having a great time. We highly recommend visiting on a day trip, pack dry clothes for the ride home and Leave your IPhone in the car....

3  Thank Mari K
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I heard they were given state money to fix up my old favorite park, but so far, the roads are still full of bumpy potholes and the grass needs mowed very badly!

Several of the restrooms are closed, the snack bar is closed and the drinking fountains do not work.

I have many childhood memories of coming here and hate that it is in such need of repair.

1  Thank BobandMaryEllen
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Alright...we were able to make the best of everything, but our experience could have been better.

First, a little info: Chippewa has a lot of space, some electric, some not, with large campsites. Can have fires in your grill area, just not on the ground. Try to get a space near a water spicket if you don't have an RV with water access.

Here were our issues: Our bad on not realizing showers weren't available at our campsite at Chippewa, but really... who doesn't have shower facilities for a camp site? Book in Patawatomi to get shower facilities and better hosts. Patawatomi hosts were very nice and welcoming...wish we would have camped with them...but they do have smaller sites with more wooded area..and I'd assume more mosquitoes. Mosquitoes weren't too bad at Chippewa.

Chippewa's hosts were rude and inattentive. We inquired about where people do shower since we couldn't be the first to not realize this...."they don't!" was her short and point response. When asking about 4th of July festivities...."I don't know. Read it yourself." Was another response. (Sad...) Also, the man a campsite down wind from us was burning plastic in his grill...Hosts neither noticed nor cared apparently.
Also, 10pm curfew and park "closing" really doesn't mean anything. People were driving around all night.

I would think you'd want your host to be welcoming and polite?

Also, don't bother going to the office before you check in to your campsite. They aren't of any assistance either. Not sure what they do, but they don't have great people skills (in person or on the phone.) Where we come from, there's an office to check in at for your camp site... so, out of habit and to us common sense, we went there first and since the park was separated we had a difficult time finding Chippewa instead of Patawatomi.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

It has good trails and several places to grill and have a picnic. It is just a park nothing special but it does have nice trails.