“Pays to be Platinum - Awesome Experience and Memorable Pool Party”

Holiday Inn Bolingbrook
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Bolingbrook
Romeoville, Illinois
“Pays to be Platinum - Awesome Experience and Memorable Pool Party”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

I should start by saying that this particular hotel acknowledged our Platinum membership right when we first inquired about staying there. We got our room upgraded to a Suite! (See the Suite description below.) Also, there were some cold bottles of water waiting for us in the room. They were very appreciated after bringing in our luggage. We also took advantage of late checkout the next day.

We were looking for a new, unique place to host our 9 year old son's birthday party. We had done the Jumpy Bounce places, Bowling Alleys, Mini-golf, Laser Tag, and Pizza/Arcade places. We thought, why not have a pool party?

The kids had a blast. The indoor pool at this hotel was perfect for us. The deepest part is only 5 feet, so my son and his friends could use a majority of the pool without it being too deep. We brought in beach balls and noodles, and the kids had a wonderful time. Mind you, we did not have exclusive use of the pool - it remained open to all guests. But, there were some other guest's children that joined in the fun - the more the merrier.

After swimming, we went to the adjoining patio for pizza and birthday cake. It was literally right outside the pool area, and had more than enough tables and chairs for 15 kids and parental chaperones.

The second best part (after seeing the smiles on the kids’ faces) was the comments and inquiries from the parents. We got everything from "What a great idea!", "This is something different", and "Wow - I never would have thought of this" to "What did you have to do to book this?" and "How much did it cost?" When I explained to them that there was no extra charge for the party and that the use of the pool came with the room, I could see them doing the math. Any of the aforementioned party places would have been twice as expensive as the price of a standard room at this hotel, pool included. I would not be surprised if we were invited back to this hotel as guests of one of my son's friends.

The room (ahem, I mean upgraded suite for Platinum members) was great. It had a king bed in the master bedroom, a private bathroom with separate shower and Jacuzzi tub, a second full bath off the main room, fold out couch in the main room, two flat screen TVs, a large round table with six chairs, refrigerator, microwave, and sink in the kitchenette. Two windows and two separate climate controls worked well and kept everyone comfortable.

In the morning, we planned to have breakfast at the hotel restaurant; they have a $10 buffet breakfast. It had donuts, bagels, toast, pastries, yogurt, cereal, fresh fruit, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, French toast, oatmeal, orange juice, apple juice, milk, water, and coffee. Since kids eat free, breakfast would have been $20 for me, my wife, and three kids - very reasonable for the type and amount of food! However, the manager gave us vouchers for breakfast with his wishes for a "Happy Birthday" so we saved the $20 for breakfast.

Lastly, I need to give Kudos to the Front Desk staff. Kohlby picked up the phone the first time I called. She was very gracious from start to finish, and let us check out the pool to see if it would meet our needs before booking the room. She was also the one that upgraded us to the suite when we booked back in June. She even made sure we had the one on the first floor, making it very convenient to go back and forth to the pool from our room. Michael was working the front desk during our party, and was helpful in guiding guests to my wife so she could let them into the pool, and alerted us when the pizza delivery guy brought the food. Finally, Larry gave us the two vouchers for breakfast, with big Happy Birthday wishes.

For those wanting to plan a party, here are some tips. First, book early. We booked this party in June for an August party. That extra time meant that the suite was available. Next, plan for a 4-6pm party. Check-in was at 3, and that was enough time to get unpacked in the room and to get the party items to the pool. There were 2 family reunions and 3 weddings receptions at the hotel the weekend we were there. There were only 5 non-party guests in the pool from 4-6 on Saturday. The wedding parties were did not arrive until after 5pm, and they were in the ballrooms. The family reunions were busy doing activities away from the hotel, so we had no issues in the pool. It was the perfect time. Finally, be courteous and polite. We made sure to follow the hotel policy of no food in the pool area (patio only), we bagged our trash when we were done, and we allowed those in the pool to join in the fun. You'd be surprised how much better things are when you employ a simple smile, and say please and thank you.

Wow - that was a long review! Suffice it to say that our overall experience - from the initial contact, to the pool facilities, service we received, room condition and amenities, staff attitude and willingness to make the stay a memorable one - were all top notch. I can't say enough good things about this hotel and our stay. The kids are already asking if we can book it again for next year's party. We will be returning!

Room Tip: The Presidential Suite had a king bed in the master bedroom, a private bathroom with separate shower...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
LRyan205, Manager at Holiday Inn Bolingbrook, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. This by far was the most flattering review I have ever received from a hotel guest. First, thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn and Suites Bolingbrook. Your patronage means the world to us. We strive to create a memorable experience for each of our guests. I was was smiling form ear to ear when I read your review. I can't wait to share it with Kohlby, Mike and the rest of the staff. I am glad that you and your son had a good time in the pool and outdoor patio area.I remember reviewing your reservation prior to your arrival and seeing that you were celebrating a birthday. The first thing that came to mind was an upgrade to our largest suite! I thought the extra room, the two bathrooms, and the jacuzzi tub would come in handy. Please come back and see us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

One of the warmest welcomes and stays that I have had. The staff list would be truly enormous if I was to name all those who made me welcome. I have to agree with previous reviewers that it wasn't only the front of house staff, it was all the staff that made this a very memorable stay.
I am destined to be back in Bolingbrook in the near future. I shall be staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2013
LRyan205, Manager at Holiday Inn Bolingbrook, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Dear Harnish P,

Thank you for your kind review of the Holiday Inn and Suites Bolingbrook! Your experience is a true reflection of the hard work and dedication the entire staff puts forward. You are absolutely right when you said it's not just the front of the house that creates a memorable experience for the guest. The entire hotel staff is committed to creating a memorable experience for each and every one of our guests. It was an honor to have you as our guest. We hope to see you again very soon!
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

Great place to stay with all the amenities, but mainly for the 5 star service. Everyone is amazingly concerned with your comfort and customer service. Khloye at the front desk is by far the best I have seen and I am a platnuim member that travels over 100+ nights each year. Even the maintenance guy asked me if I was comfortable or needed anything while riding in the elevator. Truly a team of professionals that care about thie guests.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
LRyan205, Manager at Holiday Inn Bolingbrook, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Thank you for the review. The staff here at the Holiday Inn and Suites is dedicated to providing our guests with a memorable experience. Service is the cornerstone of a memorable experience. I am glad to hear that not only the front of the house employees left an impression on you, but the back of the house employees as well. I will be sure to share your comments at the next staff meeting. Thanks again for the kind words.
Algona, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

Great stay. Loved the pool---adequate room for swimming partial laps. Large Whirlpool. Motel very well kept. Great front desk services. Arrived around 2:00, room wasn't ready--but was able to check in and had no problem getting the keycard when we arrived later that evening.

Great location to commute to Route 66 Raceway.

Overall Rating a four due to--Disappointed with no frig or microwave. Booked with AAA discount--so did not get a voucher for the $9.99 breakfast buffet.

Room Tip: Asked for room close to exit-which we received.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Tamela J,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted to hear that you had a memorable experience with us. Our pool is absolutely perfect for adults and kids alike. Guests really appreciate the outdoor patio area that is attached to the pool area especially during the summer months. I hope you come back and visit us soon!
Eastvale, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

Recently stayed at this Holiday Inn. I slipped and fell completly out of the tub and ripped the shower curtain right off the swhower rod. I called the front desk to report the incident and notify them of the damaged shower curtain. I requested a rubber mat to put in the shower so I can avoid this from happening again. I was told that they do not have any of those because the bathtub's have slip proof bottoms. WRONG they are not slip proof nor do they have a rough bottom to prevent slips. I was never asked how I was doing until the next evening when the guy at the front desk saw me enter the hotel. Only then did a manager call me to see if I needed medical attention? 24 hours after the accident they finally asked how I was feeling and if I required medical attention. Sorry but I think this was extremely poor service on the part of the hotel management. i will never stay at this property again.

Room Tip: Wear your shoe's in the shower - the floors are slippery
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
LRyan205, Manager at Holiday Inn Bolingbrook, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear King J,

I am very sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with our response to your issue with the bathtubs. I was reviewing the hotels guest request log and noticed that you were contacted immediately after reporting your fall. I personally called you, apologized to you and completed an incident report over the phone. At that time, I requested a member of the engineering staff come to your room an inspect the floor of the tub. You declined my request and stated you did not want anyone in your room. Immediately after your departure from the hotel, your room was inspected and no problems were found inside the tub. I am very sorry that you were injured. If you have any other concerns that you would like addressed, I ask that you contact me directly to discuss them privately. I can be reached at (630)679-1600X612. Thanks. Larry Ryan
Mt Pleasant, SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

I spend a lot of time at this property and from day one the service have been everything that I could have asked for. The front desk, restaurant and barteners are great. I am not the easiest person to please and have had some demands for them, they have always come through for me.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
LRyan205, Manager at Holiday Inn Bolingbrook, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Dear Timmy0909,

Thank you for the kind words. I have shared your review with the entire staff. The positive feedback means so much to our staff. Everyone works really hard to create a memorable stay for our guests. I hope to see you again in the not so distant future.
Lake Orion, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

I travel significant portion of the year and have recently stayed at this hotel for several weeks. Although there are signs of wear if you look closely, the hotel is clean and well maintained and is a good place to stay. The staff is always pleasant and helpful. One person who continually stands out is Kohlby who works the front desk. I usually arrive on Sunday after a 5 to 6 hour drive and she always goes out of her way to make sure my stay will be pleasant and that I have everything I need. I was pleasantly surprised that she recognized me and called me by name the second time I arrived. She is truly a gem. This hotel is one of the better places in the area to stay.

Dear Mal-Stroni,

We continue to make improvements to the hotel and really push our staff to create a memorable experience. We put an emphasis on the little things guests have come to expect like greeting you by name, welcoming you back and anticipating your needs. You are truly valued not only to us, but the IHG family as well. Thanks for the review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolingbrook
Hampton Inn Suites Bolingbrook
Bolingbrook Inn & Suites
#7 of 8 in Bolingbrook
SpringHill Suites Chicago Bolingbrook
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Romeoville

Been to Holiday Inn Bolingbrook? Share your experiences!