“Past due for renovation”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
Ranked #22 of 22 Hotels in Bloomington
Appleton, Wisconsin
“Past due for renovation”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Every corner, every room not only appeared dirty, but you felt it in the air. This building is beyond repair, QUALITY >>> I'm afraid not, inadequate electrical and outdated facilities. was not impressed with their breakfast.

Room Tip: I would not stay here, try elsewhere
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed April 23, 2013

This would be a great room if it was 1982. The carpet was dirty and torn. Trash beside the bed. One outlet didn't work and the other one had everything else in the room plugged into it. You could see daylight around the door. Think the bedspread was older than I am. Would not stay in again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MEL35691
Greenville, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Generally run down. Outside doors rusty and did not close properly. Hot Tub broken and no idea of when it might be fixed. The room door would not open reliably. Older TV's in rooms. Hallways smell like smoke? The food prep area is not clean. I will not eat here. I will rinse with bleach tomorrow morning and hope to continue my travels "bug-free".

Room Tip: I will not stay here again.
Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Quite unexpectedly we found this Quality Inn to be older, somewhat remodeled but it was more than adequate for the price. The lobby was beautiful, the room and halls clean and the breakfast again was more than adequate - although I dare say the coffee needed some help.....
We would possibly stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Stillman Valley
Reviewed March 17, 2013

There are 2 hotels in one, be careful when you book. We met a couple that booked just like we did but they were not upgraded to the main building as we were. Now, when I say "upgraded" I use that term loosely, and my wife stated how bad it must be if we were upgraded into one of the most basic and clamourous rooms I've seen.

The rooms are old, loud, no vent fan in bathroom, no mini-fridge or microwave, no fan available at front desk. Wallpaper was peeling, small holes in the wall, and the bed and TV are avg.

The staff was pleasant, but I guess management isn't interested in making this competitive. Many rooms were left on a Sat night, and now we understand why.

In general, this area did not feel safe at all.

Room Tip: If you stay here, INSIST on the main building and demand they come through on delivering the basic a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Illinois
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Where to begin? We stayed at this hotel one night while in town for a conference. Thankfully it was only one night. Upon our arrival, we discovered a half-eaten pizza in one of our group's 6 rooms, no shower curtain in that room, and a can of chewing tobacco in another room. Our group leader, who made the reservations, went down and spoke with the woman at the front desk, who actually was very kind and apologetic (and didn't appear to be terribly surprised). She contacted the manager via phone and informed us we would receive a 50% discount. As it was 10:30pm, and with a major conference as well as state basketball games taking place in town, we decided to accept this offer and tough it out for the night.
We later discovered other problems. The soda machine was out of all but one option. A sign on the machine indicated that bottled water could be purchased at the front desk, but this was not the case. We were told we could get water from the exercise room's water cooler, but no cups were available. The pool area was FREEZING, and the water was quite cold, too. We could actually see the kids' breath while they were swimming. The tile in the pool area was not appropriate for the pool, as it was very slick. The hot tub, sauna, and guest computer were all out of order. I also made the mistake of looking under the plastic shower mat in our bathroom - nasty. I had to remind myself of the showers at camp as a child in order to get through a quick shower there.
Needless to say, I do not recommend this hotel at all. I think other guests probably agreed, as I heard a couple speaking with the front desk about their less-than-stellar experience. I have had only one other experience with a Quality Inn (Greenfield, IN), which was better than expected (see my review). However, this hotel was one of the worst in which I have stayed, and if we hadn't had such a large group and arrived so late at night on a busy night for hotels in town, we wouldn't have stuck around. I suspect they have very few repeat guests.
Oh, one other thing - upon checkout, the (different) woman at the front desk was trying to argue the 50% discount given the night before. She tried to tell us that it only applied to one room, the one with the pizza left in it and the missing shower curtain. I think this was finally resolved, but it took some time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Monett, Missouri
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I had just driven twelve hours through a blizzard and arrived at 2:30 am. No problems getting in and the clerk was very pleasant, if noticably tired. Room key worked first time. Room was adequate; clean and in good repair, if older in appearance. The bed was low and slightly bowed but again, clean. Shower was small and showed signs of multiple repairs, but also signs of recent scrubbing down. No microwave.

I had to get up and go at eight am, so my night was short. Check out was rapid and friendly. The breakfast bar was nothing amazing but the coffee was good and everything was out and ready to go. I grabbed and went! Really, a fine experience for a lower cost accomodation, so long as you weren't expecting much more than a clean, safe to sleep. Staff was trying and it showed.

Room Tip: Better than motel 5, a step down from Holiday Inn...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business