“Wonderful stay in historic mansion”
Review of Vrooman Mansion

Vrooman Mansion
Ranked #1 of 2 Bloomington B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Vrooman Mansion in Bloomington Illinois is a perfect choice for a romantic celebration, girl's week-end, or just a overnight stay in the area. Prices compare reasonably with other local lodgings but the grace & elegance of this lovingly preserved historic mansion and the delicious full breakfast is a much better value. The bedrooms are spacious and uniquely furnished with beautiful antiques. Letitia's Room is additionally decorated with a collection of hat pins and period clothes. From the ample outside porches to sitting rooms on two levels there is plenty of room to relax and enjoy the ambience during your stay. A variety of snacks, coffee and tea are available in the TV room. The hosts are very accomodating to assisting with your needs.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed June 5, 2013

This is a very cool, nicely furnished bed and breakfast. There is a strong historical feel to the mansion, with ample material to browse and learn about the Vrooman family. The rooms are well-appointed, many with private bathrooms. We stayed in the Julia Vrooman suite, which I would highly recommended. Lots of windows make the room very cheery, but shade trees outside maintain a comfortable temp in the room. It was very spacious and the bed was extra comfy! Breakfast was delicious and filling and the staff was friendly and accommodating, despite remaining "hidden" most of the time. If I lived closer, I would visit again, as a romantic getaway or girls night.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 21, 2013

My friends and I, group of 5 in our late 20's, had a wonderful stay and a beautiful breakfast experience at the Vrooman Mansion. We arrived later than expected (10pm, rather than 8pm as agreed upon) but they were so kind to accommodate us through it all, we really do appreciate it.

I arranged this visit for my friends visiting from Boston as a surprise and they didn't expect this kind of accommodation for the night since it was just a stop over between Chicago and St. Louis. When we arrived at 10pm, the neighborhood was dark and we had to park on the street. We had no problem with this but I think they were expecting a regular boring hotel so it definitely raised some eyebrows even before we stepped in. We found our host patiently waiting in the foyer and everything unfolded nicely after that, from our beautiful rooms, over the top amenities, to an amazingly delicious breakfast with other friendly patrons.

The Vrooman Mansion is a wonderful property with unbelievable service that will make your stay as enjoyable and relaxing as it can be. It's definitely a necessary upgrade from the roadside hotel/motels for those that are hosting out-of-town visitors!

We will be sure to book with them again if we are in the area!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Helena C
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Through the years my husband and I have been in some amazing B&B's. As he had other plans for the weekend, I decided a friend and I would look for a place to have "girl time." I spoke with Kate at the Vrooman Mansion and made reservations for one night. However; from the moment we entered the foyer was our deciding factor to try and book another evening! We can't begin to described what a wonderful, delightful time we spent in this astonishing B&B! The history of this mansion (told to us from "Brian"); along with the "other personable and professional staff" went far and beyond any hospitality I've experienced from other B&Bs! We were so fortunate to be able to sit down with Dana and Pam (the innkeepers) and go through their experiences in making this mansion a place that's not only "elegant" but a warm feeling of "home!" They truly have a "love" for this project of restoration. Wonderful couple! When we went down for breakfast we were greeted with a beautiful smile and a great time visiting other guests. The food was not only "incredible but beautifully" presented. I'm already going to book a time for my husband and I to go back and visit but also will be booking a time for a "large number of girl friends to stay!" If you love B&Bs - you won't want to miss an opportunity to stay here!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 7, 2013

To walk through the front door of this home is to walk back in time. Once inside the entrance the beauty of the place makes a grand impression. The rooms live up to the lovely pictures posted on the website.

One feels immediately that the owners of this home are working on a labor of love. It is easy to appreciate how much money is involved in restoring and maintaining such a property. That is why the brickwork on the front of the house and the big patches on the ceiling near the entrance are easily dismissed.

Upon arrival we were warmly greeted, offered something to drink, shown up to our room and offered a tour. The gentleman who brought us up was very personable and knowledgable.

My husband and I stayed in the Master's suite. It was very pleasant, large and sunny. The only suggestion I would offer is to have the shades replaced/fixed; the decorative trim was falling off. The shared bathroom was spotless. There are vintage items displayed in the medicine cabinet that offer a laugh but also make one appreciate the owner's attention to detail (check out Dr. McFilthy). The tub is great to look at but is tricky to navigate when your feet are wet and you are trying to step over the high sides with nothing to hold on to.

Breakfast was good; living up to what is expected fare for a good B&B. The drinks in the Tv room and snacks throughout the house are a very generous touch.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I myself am an innkeeper and the vice president of the Illinois Bed and Breakfast Association. I mention this only to establish that I have a lot of experience with B & Bs from both sides of the relationship----host and guest. I had been wanting to stay at the Vrooman for quite some time---it had been highly recommended to me by several of my own guests and fellow Illinois innkeepers. So when the opportunity arose earlier this month for me to be in the Bloomington area, I jumped at the chance. I had made a reservation for a room in the mansion, but when I arrived, Kate, the manager, and Pam, one of the innkeepers, explained that their recently opened carriage house was available as well if I would prefer it. Needless to say, once I saw the carriage house there was no doubt where I wanted to stay. And that's not to say that the rooms in the mansion are anything but wonderful. But the carriage house is beyond anything I've seen on the B & B front! (And, I've seen a lot!) I have told numerous friends and fellow innkeepers that words (or for that matter photos) CANNOT do it justice. One simply has to see it in person! I was blown away by the design, architectural details, materials, workmanship, furnishings, every aspect of this house is perfect. They left no stone unturned! (Speaking of stone, the first floor has a brick floor that is HEATED!) Pam and Dana, the innkeepers, worked on this gut rehab project for 6 years!!! And, it shows! Sometimes my own guests say as they're leaving that they wished they could stay longer. Well, I have now experienced that same feeling----I really didn't want to leave! Oh, and if the house wasn't enough, Kate, Pam and Dana, and the staff were simply wonderful! And you get a fabulous breakfast to boot!!! Do yourself a favor and book soon. I guarantee you'll be talking about it for weeks later!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My husband and I rented the mansion for our New Year's Eve wedding. We had our ceremony on New Year's Eve, then a brunch on New Year's Day. I am almost at a loss for words to describe how wonderful our experience here was. From the very beginning of our planning to the last minute we were in the house the staff was so attentive, accommodating and very hard working!! I can't praise them enough for their attention to detail and wonderful ideas! EVERYONE at the ceremony and reception was simply amazed at how beautiful the house is and how smoothly the whole event ran. We had several guests that stayed overnight in the house with us. We were all more than delighted with our rooms and the breakfast food was awesome! If you want a little luxury, book the carriage house, as it is TRULY AMAZING! (I'd like to write this whole review in capital letters because I'm so emphatic about how awesome Vrooman was for us!) I don't currently have any photos to post to show how beautiful everything was, but when I do, I will share. Every girl dreams of a fairy tale wedding and the gang at Vrooman truly made this girl's dream come true!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bloomington
Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center
Doubletree By Hilton Bloomington
The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center
Hyatt Place Bloomington - Normal
Hampton Inn & Suites Bloomington-Normal
Residence Inn Bloomington
Residence Inn Bloomington
#1 of 22 in Bloomington

Been to Vrooman Mansion? Share your experiences!