“Better than expected!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 22 Hotels in Bloomington
Alsip, Illinois, United States
“Better than expected!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

Let me just say that before I checked into this hotel, I had been searching heavily for hotels at the last minute! I went from hotel to hotel online and found bad reviews for many hotels. I came across Bloomington, IL's Extended Stay America on Travelocity.com and found that this was the cheapest and best-reviewed hotel, but I was still skeptical. Nevertheless, I went ahead and reserved a room.

My experience at this hotel EXCEEDED my expectations! First of all, the woman at the front desk was EXTREMELY helpful and respectful! She is certainly a first-class guest service representative! She made adequate eye contact with me, spoke in a calm tone, and offered help when necessary. My room was cleaner than I expected too! I didn't even expect to have a kitchen! The ONLY disturbance was that I found a stain on the bedsheet, but it was only on one side of the bed so I wasn't too disappointed. Overall, I recommend that EVERYONE should stay at this hotel if they want an affordable, friendly experience. I just hope that the employees make sure that they thoroughly clean their bedsheets.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Bloomington - Normal, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for your raving review of our property. I'm thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and we exceeding your expectations. We appreciate you letting us know that your bed sheet had a stain on it. We have addressed this issue with our housekeeping staff to ensure that they are diligent in removing linens that are not to standard, out of rotation. We are sorry for this issue, but we are happy to read that we provided you with excellent service and an affordable rate.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
greenville
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

the blonde manager was intimidating and looked like she didnt want to help. everything else was ok. the beds were clean and everything was more or less ok. i didnt like the carpet..it was crazy stained but the bathrooms were ok

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Manager_11525, Owner at Extended Stay America - Bloomington - Normal, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Brad - Thank you for the feedback about your stay at our hotel. We appreciate your kind comments about how clean your room was and the comfortable bed; however, we apologize that one of our staff members did not provide you with friendly service. To ensure that a situation like this doesn't happen again, I am coaching my entire staff on how to provide the best customer service and present a warm welcome to guests as they arrive at the hotel.

The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at BLN@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.
West Central Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

After reading the reviews, I requested a room on the first floor.

Check-in took a few minutes longer than some hotels (about 5-8 minutes) but I was granted my request of a first floor room and nonsmoking room with a Priceline reservation, which doesn't always happen.

The room was clean with refrigerator and microwave. The white bedding was nice. (I always think white bedding lets you know exactly how clean it is.)

The bed was comfortable and there were adequate pillows. The towels were average. The room was quiet and there was little hall or outside noise despite the hotel appearing to be full or nearly full.

There is no cleaning service unless you stay for more than 7 days. Otherwise, you can get towels and sheets at the front desk. This doesn't take long.

Despite the industrial look of the area, the hotel feels safe and secure and the staff is professional (not necessarily overly friendly but professional and courteous.

I didn't see a single female checked into this hotel until I saw one in the lobby when checking out home. Being a female traveling alone, this could make some feel uncomfortable.

The breakfast is just some prepackaged snacks and coffee locked in a small cupboard. It is there if you want it.

I was a little worried about all of the low ratings juxtaposed against all of the very high ratings, especially when many of the high raters have only one or two reviews, but the hotel is good (at least on the first floor. I wasn't going to risk a higher floor due to bad reviews).

This hotel is worth a stay if the other more affordable hotels are all booked. The location is a little strange but a Steak and Shake across the road and a Panera and TGI Fridays just down the road along with a lot of other choices a little farther away.

Room Tip: Although I have no experience with the other floors, the first floor is clean and remodeled.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Bloomington - Normal, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. We are happy to hear that we were able to accommodate your requested room floor and that the room exceeded your expectation of cleanliness and comfort. Also, we appreciate you letting us know about the length of time it took to check-in to the hotel. We will work with the front desk staff to ensure that our check-in process is more efficient and timely.

Nashville, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

There were 50 - 100 small black hairs inbetween the sweets. The room smelled slightly fishy. The room only had soap and did NOT have shampoo. I arrived around 9 PM and had to wait about 20 minutes before someone showed up at the front desk. The selection on TV channels was average at best. The interent connection was VERY slow and I was unable to stream anything. I didn't sleep well at all, mostly because i Knew there were hundreds of hairs in the bed. GROSS.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay here.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Bloomington - Normal, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
I appreciate you bringing your experiences to our attention. I sincerely apologize that your room was not cleaned to your satisfaction, we make every attempt to be sure that all rooms are cleaned properly and deodorized before each arrival. I do apologize that this happened and while it is not our policy to have shampoo in each room, it should have been offered from our amenities basket at check-in. The issue you ran into with our WiFi has been escalated to our internet provider, and we thank you for sharing that experience with us. The WIFI provider is coming out to check our bandwidth signal to make sure your experience is not repeated. Also, I am sorry to hear that there was a delay to get checked into your room is and this is unacceptable; I will be reviewing the tape with our staff to improve the process. Your comments have been reviewed by management and our staff.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at bln@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

If you think this is anything like a Residence Inn or any first world hotel, you will be disappointed. Dank and dark hallways. No services. Our tub wouldn't drain on Saturday and I was told maintenance would be around Monday. Housekeeping once per week or pay extra. The room had an institutional feel, stark white with fluorescent lighting. Old dirty bedspreads and a dated lazy boy lounge chair in the corner. Breakfast was in a cabinet they opened in the lobby in the morning containing a few granola bars, fruit, and oatmeal packets. You can do much better in Bloomington-Normal by staying elsewhere while saving money and receiving something approaching service.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank jmkerdoc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

Nicole at the front desk offered a great customer service experience. She was friendly and knowledgeable and was a great first impression. The room was clean and the rate I paid was a good value. I'd recommend this property.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Bloomington - Normal, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Jeffrey - Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I truly appreciate your comments regarding our staff, especially Nicole. It is very rewarding to read that she provided you with such wonderful customer service. As well, I am glad that your room was cleaned to your satisfaction.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

After 6 hours of driving
we made it to extended stay Americain Bloomington IL. best hotel ever after arriving at 1:05 in the morning we had to wait 50 minutes before they got a room for us. only to find that room and the next room they found we're already occupied by sleeping people. so with no non smoker rooms they found us a smoker room on the 3rd floor that has an odd smell and made us start to cough / sneeze.

Tv had a broken cableline

Sink cold handle covered in toothpaste.

Msg on phone for last person who was in room at 6pm the night before asking about checkout.

• Stayed July 2013