The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center
$89
$116
$105
$74
All reviewstony romasunique hotelantique furniturefridge and microwaveillinois state universitypool and hot tubconference centerstaff was very friendlyroom was clean and comfortablefree breakfastgreat pricewaffleslobbycollegeconveniencechainpet
Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

You get what you pay for many times at that was the case here. Great rate from Expedia. Well below what the other hotels were offering. This hotel definitely needs some TLC because the material condition isn't up to par with its local competitors. Too bad because the decor does have an "old world" charm to it. Bed was soft (a la old mattress) and pillows were hard as a rock. The room was clean except could use a little vacuuming under the bed.

With that being said I couldn't beat the price. For a single night stay it was adequate. It also has a Tony Roma's on site which was good enough for a basic meal. Would I stay again? Sure, if the price is significantly lower than competitors like it was this visit.

Stayed: March 2014
Jeremy C, General Manager at The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

We thank you for your Feedback on the Hotel. We try and stay competitively priced, and work hard to provide great service and a nice product. If in the area, please do not hesitate to utilize our property.
Jeremy Cruthis.

Reviewed March 13, 2014

Pulling up to the Chateau I was amazed by the cool castle looking place it was. Looks vintage and ellegent. Walking in I was greeted with a helpful staff and smiles which was nice. The rooms were great, clean, everything worked. The staff did a great job refreshing everything when we were out. Once we called and asked for more towels and not 40 seconds went by and we had a knock at the door with more towels! The pool was fun and clean and big! The hot tub was very nice! Sauna worked and was relaxing! They have a game room that was in the pool area and that was great too! Kids loved it and I even loved it bc they have games for kids to adults. The new restaurant that was put in(tony Roma's) was amazing! My family ordered 3 meals and shared and everything was cooked to perfection! Also the Chateau's location is great because we found so much to do with the family(children's museum and miller park zoo)

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Ryne B

The staff here at the Chateau would like to thank you for your positive comments on the Hotel. We are very proud of the new restaurant "Tony Roma's" and happy to hear you had a positive dining experience. If in town, do not hesitate to stay with us in the future. Thank you,
Jeremy Cruthis.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

Staff was nice. Very appealing visual from the outside. Inside my room, there were issues though. My room didn't have a working phone, and the heater was annoying - it would run for roughly 50 seconds at a time and then shut off for 10 seconds, and then restart. Yet it was so cold, heat was needed. Also, the water in the bathroom was problematic. Issues especially getting anything other than scalding hot water in the shower. After playing with the faucet and giving up, I decided to try once more and somehow it improved, but I'm not really sure how.

Overall, it's an average property in my opinion, with a uniqueness because the outside resembles a castle. I wouldn't go back though.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Christopher A
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We stayed at the Chateau from 2/7-2/9. We will not stay at this hotel again or recommend it to anyone:

-Housekeeping did not 'refresh' our room or products on 2/8
-There were holes in the blanket on the bed (and as cold as it was, there was only 1 thin blanket on the bed)
-The towels were threadbare and very scratchy
-Tried calling the front desk several times and no one answered.
-The mattress was broken down on one side of the bed.
-The incline on one of the treadmills did not work properly.

We stay at many hotels through the year and this is not up to any standard. It's too bad because it's nice looking on the outside.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank tapper100
Reviewed February 15, 2014

When I first pulled up and looked at the rate I had, the beautiful building did not seem to match the low rate I had, however I figured out why the rate was where it was due to the condition of the room. The room was clean however the mattress had a slight bow in the middle of it but thankfully was still comfortable. The room fixtures inside except for the TV were from the time this place was probably built (circa 1990's) and has not changed since then. If you need to stay in Bloomington and pay less than $100 a night this maybe the place for you however I can only comment on another hotel property in Bloomington which is the Hampton Inn which is your normal run of the mill Hampton that was built in the last 5-7 years or so which I would rate much higher than this property due to the condition of the fixtures/décor inside the rooms. If you have families I would probably stay at the Chateau due to the size of the indoor pool since you could fit almost two Hampton Inn pools into the Chateau pool. The breakfast was ok however the place mats needed to be changed (frayed). The only major complaint I would have is that I had a room on the back area of the property and had to hang my coat over the top of the curtain to get rid of the light from the massive building light pointed at my window other than that everything about the room and service were average..

Room Tip: Make sure your room is not directly in the "line of fire" of the property lights..
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo