“Welcoming and comfortable”

The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We arrived at The Chateau after a very long day's driving and a one hour search for a room and were made to feel welcome. They even found a secure place to store our bicycles overnight. The room was clean and comfortable, though the smoke detector did beep softly all night. Because it was so late we ate at the bar downstairs. The service there was great - and the $6 burger, fries and beer special went down really well. All in all a surprisingly good place to stay and good value too.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Mary E, Director of Sales at The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

We are glad that you found our hotel so enjoyable. Thank you for the great review. We like pleasing our guests. Please come back and stay with us again.

There are newer reviews for The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center

Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

I loved the week I spent here. It was clean the staff was very helpful even though they were busy preparing for the event being held the hotels birthday or something. They picked us up and let us check In like 4 hours early our room was clean huge and the bed was comfy. The breakfast was great and they had different hot items everyday. I loved the antique look. The pool is clean.

• Stayed: June 2013

Thanks so much for your kind review. We are so glad that you had such an enjoyable stay at our hotel. We hope that you will come see us again.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

My husband and I don't live too far from Bloomington (only an hour and a half), but we wanted a night away. We decided to try out The Chateau, and I'm really just...iffy about it. It has a very impressive outside, and I did really find a lot of beauty and character in the main lobby. I can tell updates have been made, while certain parts of it are much older, but maintained with pride. Unfortunately, that's about where the good impression kind of fizzles.

My first frustration was with the restaurant. We got in late due to a meeting and were hungry. We were worried that we had missed dinner (we went down to eat at 9:20PM) and were initially relieved to find that, according to the sign out front, the kitchen was open until 10:00 and the restaurant open until 11:00. We took our seat and our server asked us what drinks we wanted. After getting our beverages, we waited 10 minutes before asking her if we could have menus. She was very nice about it, but she told us the kitchen was closed. I wasn't upset with her, but I find it HIGHLY unprofessional to post your hours out in front of your restaurant door and not abide by them. And it was a Friday night! Why would you close early?! We left the hotel to just find some Jimmy Johns for an even later dinner.

We came back and went into a side entrance that had a very strong musty amonia-like odor. Turns out that was the hall by the pool. Maybe that can't be helped, but it was not a good smell.

Our room was fine. I appreciated how the hotel embraced its kitschy style - like how there was a brass chandelier in our room. I didn't expect that! I was a little put off by how damp our carpet was. I know it's July and it was humid out, but that just weirds me out when the floor is damp like that. Just tried to ignore it. Bathroom was fine - loved all the cute folds in the tissues and towels. Nice shower.

My biggest qualm came after we left. I guess my husband had made a discovery while we were there that he wisely did not tell me about until we were back home. He dropped his phone right after we got in and it slid under our bed. When he reached his hand under, he touched something sticky. He peeked under the bed and saw a rat trap with bugs stuck all over it. Maybe it was because we got in late and we couldn't get dinner like we anticipated, so he knew I was already really frustrated, but he did not tell me about this until after we left. I was NOT happy to hear about that...still gives me the heebie-jeebies.

There was a lot of dampness, weird smells, false advertising with their restaurant, and apparently a rat problem, but I can tell it has its charm. All of the surfaces were clean, and the people working at the front desk and in the restaurant were very nice. The guy working the breakfast buffet all by himself was flying around like crazy getting work done, with a smile on his face - we definitely thought he did a great job. Overall, it was an ok experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Mary E, Director of Sales at The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Thank you for informing us of some issues that we needed to address. Our lounge should have served food until 10 PM on the night when you were here. That issue has been addressed with the staff. The bug trap under the bed in your room had been put there by our exterminator, however it should have been removed. We are informing our exterminator that we want all of the rooms checked to make sure these traps are removed. We are so sorry about the issues that your had during your stay, and we appreciate your giving us a heads up, so that we can correct these things. Thanks, again.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 3 days on business. It was selected and booked by my employer. If I would have been paying for it, I would have checked right back out and gone to a much nicer hotel. It's old and dirty. The hallways and common areas are not air conditioned and smell musty. The A/C unit in the room was loud and kept waking me up during the night when it would kick on. Location is okay but everything else isn't.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

I am sorry that you had an unpleasent stay at our hotel. We temporarily had one of the hall air conditioners down for service. That may have been the problem when you were here. We are trying to locate the problems with the room air conditioners. I am sorry that we missed yours. Thank you for informing us of these issues, so that we can correct them.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

This hotel is 25 yrs old with lots of beautiful antiques in it. It is very clean and well maintained.We ate in the bar/restaurant for dinner and breakfast. Food was very good and very reasonable. There was a issue during check in. The girl at the desk seemed too inexperienced to be alone at the desk. Her co worker was at lunch. We mentioned this to the front desk manager, Morris, thinking they should train her better. Later Morris called us over and compensated us for our trouble. We certainly did not expect to be compensated.We just felt if no one mentioned the problem they couldn't correct it. We were impressed he took the time to review the monitor and do something about the situation. The young man in the bar/restaurant was very friendly. We will stay there again when in the area.Even considering the problem at check in we are rating the service excellent because the problem was addressed.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Mary E, Director of Sales at The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. We are glad that your stay was so enjoyable, and that the issue that you had was resolved. Please visit us again when you return to Bloomington.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

We stayed here one night, here for one day conference.
The rooms are quaint, clean and comfy. Interesting antiques throughout the hotel.
They were in the process of remodeling. When we were here.
The hotel is older but what they were doing was looking good.
We had breakfast the next morning, this was included in the price of the room.
Breakfast buffet was delicious, above expectations.

Room Tip: Communicate any requests to the front desk, they were very accommodating. We had a room down toward...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Mary E, Director of Sales at The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

I am so happy that you enjoyed staying at our hotel. Thank you for your great review. We love hearing that our guests had a great time staying with us. Please come and visit us again, when you are in Bloomington.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

The exterior of the hotel is totally old world charm! As you open the door to the lobby ( or the 'secure' entrances) the musty smell hits you. The room was alright and comfortable; it had a microwave and fridge. The bathroom towels felt like sandpaper. The elevator is old, had no a/c and smelled of electrical fire. The location of the hotel was excellent; right across the street from a mall and there were several restaurants in the vicinity. The 'secure' side entrance was always open and you didn't need to use your key to access it. We will not stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for letting us know about the problems that you had while staying with us. We are currently working on solving these problems. I want to tell you that our security doors are open at 6:30 am and locked at 10:00 pm. for the convenience of our guests. I apologize for your inconvenience, and I hope that you will stay with us again. We would welcome the chance to make up for your unpleasant experience.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bloomington
Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center
Doubletree By Hilton Bloomington
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Bloomington
Ramada Limited Bloomington
Ramada Limited Bloomington
#15 of 22 in Bloomington
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington-Normal Airport
Hampton Inn & Suites Bloomington-Normal

Been to The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!