My husband and I don't live too far from Bloomington (only an hour and a half), but we wanted a night away. We decided to try out The Chateau, and I'm really just...iffy about it. It has a very impressive outside, and I did really find a lot of beauty and character in the main lobby. I can tell updates have been made, while certain parts of it are much older, but maintained with pride. Unfortunately, that's about where the good impression kind of fizzles.
My first frustration was with the restaurant. We got in late due to a meeting and were hungry. We were worried that we had missed dinner (we went down to eat at 9:20PM) and were initially relieved to find that, according to the sign out front, the kitchen was open until 10:00 and the restaurant open until 11:00. We took our seat and our server asked us what drinks we wanted. After getting our beverages, we waited 10 minutes before asking her if we could have menus. She was very nice about it, but she told us the kitchen was closed. I wasn't upset with her, but I find it HIGHLY unprofessional to post your hours out in front of your restaurant door and not abide by them. And it was a Friday night! Why would you close early?! We left the hotel to just find some Jimmy Johns for an even later dinner.
We came back and went into a side entrance that had a very strong musty amonia-like odor. Turns out that was the hall by the pool. Maybe that can't be helped, but it was not a good smell.
Our room was fine. I appreciated how the hotel embraced its kitschy style - like how there was a brass chandelier in our room. I didn't expect that! I was a little put off by how damp our carpet was. I know it's July and it was humid out, but that just weirds me out when the floor is damp like that. Just tried to ignore it. Bathroom was fine - loved all the cute folds in the tissues and towels. Nice shower.
My biggest qualm came after we left. I guess my husband had made a discovery while we were there that he wisely did not tell me about until we were back home. He dropped his phone right after we got in and it slid under our bed. When he reached his hand under, he touched something sticky. He peeked under the bed and saw a rat trap with bugs stuck all over it. Maybe it was because we got in late and we couldn't get dinner like we anticipated, so he knew I was already really frustrated, but he did not tell me about this until after we left. I was NOT happy to hear about that...still gives me the heebie-jeebies.
There was a lot of dampness, weird smells, false advertising with their restaurant, and apparently a rat problem, but I can tell it has its charm. All of the surfaces were clean, and the people working at the front desk and in the restaurant were very nice. The guy working the breakfast buffet all by himself was flying around like crazy getting work done, with a smile on his face - we definitely thought he did a great job. Overall, it was an ok experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center, provides guest with a unique hotel experience, combining Old World elegance with modern standards of service and hospitality. At The Chateau, you can enjoy our full size swimming pool, whirlpool, sauna or game room. You can also take advantage of our fitness center, business center, free wi-fi and guest laundry. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are available in our newly opened Tony Roma's restaurant and Lounge. Our hotel is adjacent to Bloomington's Constitution Trail, ideal for running or biking. There are numerous restaurants and shopping within walking distance of the hotel. All parking is complimentary, and the parking lot can accommodate large vehicles. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and getaroom.com so you can book your The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Chateau Hotel Bloomington
- Jumers Chateau Bloomington
- Jumers Chateau Hotel Bloomington