“Stay here whenever I'm in the area.”

The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Location is great. Several shopping centers nearby. On site restaurant with gym and pool in the basement. Comfortable beds and very nice rooms.
The front desk staff was very courtious even though I was a bit of a jerk due to a rough day. The general manager even came out to help me locate a locksmith when I locked my keys in my truck.

• Stayed: April 2013
Mary E, Director of Sales at The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Thank you for your great review of our hotel. I am glad that your stay with us was such a good experience. That is our goal for all of our guests. I hope that you will continue to stay at The Chateau whenever you are in Bloomington.

There are newer reviews for The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center

Reviewed April 16, 2013

I stay at hotels all over the country...and was pleasantly surprised when I arrived at the Chateau. It was not the cookie-cutter same ol' hotel. The deco was very interesting and fun to explore. The staff was very nice and helpful. The morning breakfast was good...but would have loved some Soy Milk (I'm a vegan). The hotel bar menu is quite limited....especially for a vegan. But - right across the street is a great stir-fry restaurant that has tofu!! I would definately stay there again! :)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Mary E, Director of Sales at The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am glad that you found The Chateau a pleasant place to stay. I hope that you will stay with us again, when you are in Bloomington.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

I liked the unique look and decor of the hotel. It was a nice change from your standard hotel. Having said that though, the hotel looks like it is undergoing renovations or needs some. There was a very strong chlorine smell upon entering the lobby. I booked a room with a king-size bed. I felt as if the room was a little on the small side; I guess you would want to book a suite if you want a little more room. The room had a good-size fridge, a microwave, and a flat screen TV. The bathroom was a pleasant surprise as it was ample-sized; not tiny like some hotel bathrooms are. The bed was not all that comfortable. My partner and I tried the pool and the hot tub. The pool felt cold; I wish the water had been warmer. The hot tub felt too hot to me and we could not find a way to adjust the temperature (perhaps there isn't supposed to be a way to adjust), but it was my first time in a hot tub so I may need to adjust my expectations on how hot one of those should be. We were slightly disappointed that the saunas were in the bathrooms as that meant we couldn't sit in the same sauna together. We went to breakfast in the morning. I did find that the food wasn't as warm as I expected it to be. I had hoped for more variation in the fruit offered; I only saw apples. The breakfast room was nice, although our table was a bit rickety. The staff was very friendly and polite. Overall, I enjoyed my stay though I think the rates might be just a little high for this place.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pam M
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This castle looking hotel is unique. Upon first arriving, we noticed a mildew smell. We made it to the room and it is a little dated but did have a flat screen tv. The mattress on the bed was very springy and I slept with my daughter and noticed each time she moved. The breakfast was had several things on it but did not look very appetizing so we opted to go out. Maybe a waffle maker or omlet station, fresh fruit other than red delicious apple, or some bacon, or milk and we would have stayed. I can envision this hotel being a good place for weddings but an average person looking for a hotel like the Marriott or Comfort Suites will not like it here. . The staff was friendly and very accomodating. They allowed us to check in early and stay until 2 pm the following day so that was great! We were in town for an athletic event and didn't play until late afternoon so we really appreciated being able to stay longer.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Stayed one night only as we were traveling through town. Rates were very reasonable and included full breakfast the next morning. Restaurant was closed for remodeling so dinner was available in the lounge. Bartender was excellent, very friendly and food at her craft. Hotel was unique with lot's of antiques. Not your normal boxy hotel. Had a great stay for a last minute stop.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Mary E, Director of Sales at The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

I am so glad that you enjoyed staying at our hotel. Thank you for your review. Please come and see us again.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

I specifically asked if the pool would be "warm" when I booked the room over the phone and again upon arrival face to face. Brr!!!!! The pool was an important factor and I couldn't even force myself to get into the water. Our family was there to celebrate my husband's 50th birthday and he wouldn't even get in! I chose this hotel because it had a heated pool listed on their website and we had pleasant memories of when we stayed here on our honeymoon (24 years ago).
I had hoped the Executive King would be a grand celebration but we found it less than average.
I regret my decision.

Room Tip: The saunas are located in the bathrooms making it impossible to enjoy with different sex guests...I...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank M0108

I am very sorry that you had an upleasant experience at our hotel. We check our pool daily, and we try to keep it at 85 degrees. I am not sure why it was not at that temperature when you were here. We will try to check it more often, to make sure that the temperature is being maintained. Thank you for informing us of this problem. We want to be made aware of any problems that our guests have, so that we can fix them. I hope that you will give The Chateau another try in the future.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Over the years I've stayed at several Jumer properties in Illinois and Iowa in addition to staying here at the Chateau several times over the past 20 years.

From the beginning the french chateau theme was never quite "with" the german theme found in the other Jumer's. Now this place is showing it's age, wear and tear, and deferred maintenance.

Quite frankly the beds here suck. Where major chains have made great strides with improving bed and sleep quality these aren't fit for Motel 6. If I can't get a good night sleep without tossing and turning all night, waking up tired with an aching back, then what is the point of even bothering to stay here?

The entire place is in serious need of renovation and updating. The smell that hits you walking in the front door should be your first clue.

The Chateau always had the potential to be the nicest hotel in Bloomington-Normal. With a brand new Marriott in downtown Normal that will be an elusive goal beyond the reach of the Chateau until they replace the management and make some major improvements.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank nprvl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bloomington
Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center
Doubletree By Hilton Bloomington
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Bloomington
Ramada Limited Bloomington
Ramada Limited Bloomington
#15 of 22 in Bloomington
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington-Normal Airport
Hampton Inn & Suites Bloomington-Normal

Been to The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!