“Medieval Tymes meets Motel 6”

The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Bloomington
San Francisco, California
“Medieval Tymes meets Motel 6”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

...with a healthy dose of the Munsters. The folks running the place are super nice, so I feel bad advising you to run in the opposite direction. My take is that Le Chateau de Blo-No might have been quirky and fun when newly built - but now it's just shabby and sad. Fitness center, so-called, has a treadmill and two ellipticals, both broken. Breakfast was abominable - think stone cold powdered eggs. Really not suitable for business travel and would be a disappointment for a vacation or event. It is cheap, though.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Mary E, Director of Sales at The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for informing us of problems that you had during your stay at our hotel. We are currently working on making our breakfast more inviting. I am sorry that some of the equipment in our fitness center were not working properly for you. We are having someone look at the equipment, so that we can eliminate problems with it. We are continuing to update The Chateau, and I hope that you will stay with us again. We want all of our guests to have a pleasant stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights and I loved it, the room had a lovely view, clean and great beds. It had a large fridge, microwave and the bathroom was excellent, great size. Downstairs bar was a great place to go and we got really good food there at very reasonable prices the whole hotel is so charming and homy, so much nicer than the usual hotels you come across all the time, if you want something that is different and affordable I would recommend The Chateau highly. We had the breakfast buffet and it was very good value for money as well and the dining room is huge with tablecloths and cloth napkins, excellent.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank carabellainoz3
Mary E, Director of Sales at The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Thank you for your kind review of our hotel. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay at The Chateau. Please come and visit us whenever you return to Bloomington.
Dekalb Cty
Reviewed February 12, 2013

They recently updated the lobby in this hotel and added new carpet, etc. Something smelled musty entering the lobby. This place needs a total rehab but convention planners said they have no plans to do so in the near future. We had a meeting in the conference area and there was a banquet down the hall and all we could hear was the bass and music from the banquet hall. Very unprofessional for a meeting... very disappointing. Skip the restaurant. We've tried it a couple of times and food arrived cold and not worth the $$. They've added flat screen TVs and fridge/micro combos to rooms which is nice but they could be cleaner. They are just old. I did have free WiFi on the 4th floor which was nice but I've staying in other parts of the hotel and the WiFi was sketchy. The photos show the worn out tile in the bathroom, the finish is worn off, so you know it is old. They replaced the toilet seat with a seat that doesn't fit, gross sitting on cold porcelain. The remote for the TV wasn't working. Good room cost but rooms are old and worn.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the ice machines and elevators. When you are in the hall you can hear entire co...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Homespn
Mary E, Director of Sales at The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for your informative review of our hotel. We appreciate your comments, and we are addressing all of your concerns. We are continuing to renovate the hotel, and we are striving to give our guests a pleasant experience. I hope that you will give The Chateau another chance to show you how much we care about our guests. Thank you for staying with us.

Travelers are raving about these Bloomington hotels

Baldwinsville, New York
Reviewed December 29, 2012

had two double-bed rooms. rooms where fine. hotel seemed fine. breakfast wasn't the greatest, i decided not to eat breakfast the second day, my fellow co-worker who is more picky then me did, he found nothing wrong with breakfest... so who knows. i didn't personally care for it. I don't know if the two other coworkers ate breakfest... we ate dinner offsite

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Mary E, Director of Sales at The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are looking into ways to make our breakfast more inviting. We like to get guest feedback, so that we can provide the best experience for all of our guests. I hope that you will stay with us again when you come to Bloomington.
Chicago
Reviewed November 30, 2012

The Chateau is housed in the building formerly occupied by one of the hotels operated by the lamented now-defunct Jumer's chain. The present operators have maintained much of the old world German furnishing and decor that were the hallmark of the former Jumer's chain. The rooms are clean, well maintained and friendly if perhaps a bit sterile. The front desk staff too were in my experience very friendly, efficient and competent. The room, which I got at the rack rate of well under one hundred dollars, was ready at the time of my no notice/no reservation checkin. There is a restaurant which is very good and also reasonable and the location of the hotel is along the main commercial artery of Blooomington-Normal and not far from the Illinois State University campus. All things considered, this property is a very good choice for anyone whose affairs take them to the Bloomington area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Cherry Valley, Illinois
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Recently visited for a 2 day conference. The food was average, about what you might expect for a conference center. My sleeping room was really pretty nice. It was spacious, the bed was comfy, there was a nice desk and the wireless internet worked well. The meeting rooms were also nice including a room with theater seating for AV. Now for the negative stuff. I went to the pool to sit in the hot tub. The water level was at least 10 inches lower than it should have been. In fact it was so low, when I sat down the water wouldn't even cover my legs! The next morning when I got ready to shower I discovered there was no soap in the bathroom; no hand soap, no bath soap. Only the small bottles of shampoo, conditioner and body lotion. I thought this was probably just an oversight by the housekeeper until I mentioned it upon checkout. The woman at the front desk apologized and then told me that their supplier was stuck in NJ so they didn't have much soap and were only giving it out if a guest requested it!! REALLY? There is only one place in the nation to get soap? C'mon guys this is ridiculous. Go out and buy some soap locally if you have to. I was pretty shocked. Given this kind of an attitude and cutting corners probably would stay at a different hotel in the future if I had a choice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 16, 2012

My daughter became extremely ill while traveling with her 4 children to texas. She wound up in the ICU unit at Bromenn Hospital. My husband and I made an emergency trip to care for our 4 grandchildren. We wound up at the Chateau with them. We were there for a week not knowing from one day to the next what life would bring. What the hotel brought for us was a wonderful stay. Yes the place needs some work, but it is being done.
The staff is 100% there to serve in very courtious humanly ways. Any problems were immediately dealt with. They bent over backwards for us. The hotel manager is absolutely wonderful the staff is wonderful. I would absolutely recommend the Chateau to everyone. My grandchildren refer to it is their castle, hopefully the horrible events that took us there will give them a fantastic memory forever of the week they lived in the castle.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bloomington
Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Bloomington
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington-Normal Airport
Doubletree By Hilton Bloomington
Hyatt Place Bloomington - Normal
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#8 of 22 in Bloomington

Been to The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!