“Outdated - Not Very Clean”

The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Bloomington
Norther Illinois
“Outdated - Not Very Clean”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed at The Chateau on 10/20/2012 to attended a wedding that was being held there.

Though the architecture is very unique and appealing, the hotel is showing signs of needing repair and a considerable amount of maintenance. Varnished exterior door were weathered to bare wood almost entirely. The paint on exterior stucco was chipping in a number of places on the back and sides (not the front) of the building.

Our room was a a king bed room on the 1st floor, which is actually a floor below the main entrance level. It was one of the smallest rooms that we have stayed in a long time. We were told by some other people that the rooms with 2 queen beds were larger but I cannot confirm that statement.

Cleanliness was poor. Common hallways and areas away from the main lobby looked like they had not been vacuumed in a number of days due to the fact that there were a lot leaves and other debris tracked in from the outside.

In our room there were dead buds on the top of the heating & A/C unit plus I killed two "box elder" bugs that were crawling on the curtains. Cobwebs were very noticable where the walls met the ceiling. There was a burned out light bulb in the bathroom and also in the entry hall. Had to phone the desk for coffee packets because there were none in the room. When a girl brought us the coffee pakets I told her about the burned out light bulbs. The bulbs were replaced at some point within the next couple of hours while we were out of the room.

The French provencial nightstands on each side of the bed were both badly chipped and showing their age. The matching desk in the room was actually falling apart, with wood joints that had separated as much as 1/4".

I cannot comment about the food served in the restaurant however, the food served at the wedding reception was not the greatest. Though the food (buffet) looked very appealing the beef and roast pork was VERY tough. Never in my life have I had roast pork that was tough. Roast pork is always tender, but it wasn't at The Chateau. Appetizers and Hor'Dovers were very good as were the garlic mashed potatoes and other vegtable items.

Would I stay at The Chateau again? Definitly not.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Matteson, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed at this hotel in August while attending a conference that was being held there at the location. What I quickly found out is that the rooms varied. My room was one of the rooms that had not been renovated while my friends were in the newly renovated rooms. My friends reported that their rooms were great and they really enjoyed their stay. Although my room was a little antiquated, I was comfortable because the room was clean. The front desk staff was courteous and prompt in the assignment of the room which was appreciated.

The location of the hotel is great! Plenty of restaurants and shops are nearby..some are walking distance. Restaurants ranged from fast foods to steakhouses. The same applies to shopping. There were low ends stores and high end stores.

Although I was not impressed with the my room, I would go back after the all renovations are completed. I believe I will have a better experience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MainIngredient
St Louis MO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

We have stayed at this Hotel since the early years as The Jumer.. a half-way point from our place in Michigan, and just 3 hrs from home....it was always 1st class, but then we always booked first class rooms...another review had a disgust for a "confessional" in the lobby...had that person looked closer, it (was?) then a PHONE BOOTH. The food was always a treat, being very good and such a relax after the long drive. Now, understandably, business has forced the former Radis Rouge to change into something that last resembled an upper class "Burger King"...no more shrimp cocktails and filet...chopped beef and fries instead...The staff was always there and polite, and we made friends with many as we were "regulars"...I am about to make our return reservation, and I will cover the prior review points, and expect our stay to be just as those before.
I did read in one review that the guest HATED the AC to cycle constantly instead of a "fan ON" for white noise...the room we usually book does have AC vibration, but so far this has not been a problem. This is also my pet peeve, and you would be surprised that most places can have the Maint-Man come and reprogram the unit for fan ON Heat/Cool so no cycling. If anyone really did their research, the constant cycling does NOTHING to save energy...except maybe when the unit is actually OFF. I shall see what our reservation for early October brings...and it better meet our usual specs, as we pay RackRate...and expect only the best.

Room Tip: Pay RackRate and expect only the best...if you cannot afford it, or are just driving a hard bargain...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank John R
North Dakota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

I've stayed in this hotel a few times and this time, I can see that much-needed physical renovations are in progress and that's great. The owners of this property have a big job ahead of them by trying to renovate and make things seem up to date yet keep the old-world French chateau charm, all without making it look too contemporary. It's got to be tough, but the lobby area looks so much better than that last time I visted. Walking the halls, I was able to see that changes were made to worn out items like wall lamps and molding.

Check in was fine, nothing overly friendly, but okay. The hotel seemed pretty empty and quiet on this weekend. I saw a sign saying the 3rd floor is under renovation. The room was basic with a king size bed. I think they've done well with the small rooms. Very simple but comfortable. My only comment is that I feel the room would look a little more high end if it didn't have the mini-fridge in the corner with a mini-microwave sitting on top of it. A shelving unit of some sort would make that look less sloppy. Also, when you open and close the fridge door, the microwave wants to slip back and hit the wall.

I gave the hotel review 4/5 because I was satisfied and the physical renovations show progress. However, the service we encountered could be much better. Front desk was OK. The worse service began when we went into the bar that night for a few drinks. The bar is small, they cut some space out for the renovation. It was a little before 10pm and we grabbed the only table that was open, a booth. It seemed like everyone else in the bar was with a wedding party of some sort as there was a bride, groom and other people in wedding attire. My husband and his friend went to order drinks. It took a while for them to get their drinks. Our friend came back after about 10 minutes, and my husband stood there for another 10-15 minutes for his drinks. The bartender remarked that he thought my husband was with our friend so he went to the other end of the bar and served several other people until he noticed my husband was still standing there. I believe the bartender did apologize and took my husband's order. A club soda with lime turned out to be a club soda with lemon, and a Drambouie became a Drambouie with ice, lemon and club soda. The bartender didn't charge us, but we didn't bother to get more drinks. We also inquired about food since we saw the wedding party members get some food served to them. We were told that it was after 10p so they stop serving food, but the wedding party order was a mistake and they got in trouble from the kitchen for it. Shortly after, the wedding party had pizzas delivered from somewhere and it looked as though the bartender helped himself to this as well. Usually, bars don't allow outside food and it was a bummer, so we left to drink and eat elsewhere. As we are speaking of the bar, the booths need a major cleaning. The wall decor has splatters of food and such on it and I'm surprised this is OK. I'm sure this area is set to be remodeled as it is badly in need of a facelift.

In the morning, we had the complimentary breakfast. In the past, it's been a buffet with hot and cold items, and a server brought drinks. This time, the buffet area just had whole fruit, toast and some pastries, and we had to order off of a limited menu. The server was was good and had a great attitude, but she was all alone and way understaffed and there was no way she could have provided good service. There were only a few tables when we arrived at 9.15a, but by 9.30am, there were probably 10, a couple with groups of 6 or more so service was slow. She told us we could help ourselves to the continental and order whatever we wanted, as much as we wanted off of the small menu of 3 items. People from our table ordered extra sausage, bacon, and hash browns and she enthusiastically said no problem and moved on to another table. This girl was just so overloaded with tables. The pastries ran out. She barely came back to fill our waters and I'm sure she totally forgot about the things that we were supposed to get. We waited for 40 minutes for the extra sides...we were chatting so we were not exactly in a rush, but we were upset when we heard the waitress tell the table next to us that they were totally out of bacon and mostly out of sausage, but they'd bring them fresh cinnamon rolls. So at that point, our table of 4 left. It's not her fault she was so overloaded, but she didn't do a great job of following up on us.

I know this service isn't typical, so that is why I gave 4/5. Next time we go to Normal to visit family, we'll try again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Naomi S
Dubuque, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

This was my first visit to the Chateau Hotel but will not be the last. I was so amazed with the character of this hotel. The facade of the hotel gives you the feeling of royalty with the beautiful landscape and fountain, not much is missed. The lobby is anything but standard, it's obvious it has been newly renovated and gives the feeling of luxury. Check-in was fast and friendly, thanks Libby!

My suite was a King Executive and was very large and spacious, plenty of room to spread out and relax. I especially loved the chandelier in the living room! Housekeeping did a great job, as I inspected the room and didn't find anything that wasn't cleaned to perfection.

Touring the property I made my way to the Conference Center, also newly renovated. The hallways and entrance look brand new and a great deal of care has definitely gone into both.

I didn't have time to visit the restaurant or the pool but from what I could tell, the restaurant is also undergoing a renovation and is still serving breakfast and dinner daily.

Departure was quick and easy. Thank you to everyone who made my stay enjoyable, I will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank cajordan
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

I rated this hotel 'average' based on the fact I couldn't sleep very well there but the reasons may not affect other people. I stayed three nights. The pillows were terrible for me. They were almost square and they were too thick. A variety of pillow thickness would have been good to have. The main reason I got no sleep though is the loud airconditioning unit that cycled on and off all night. There was no 'fan on' setting on the unit so there would be complete silence, then a gurgle followed by the air condiitoner firing up loudly. Most the places I stay have airconditioners where you can have the fan on constantly for white noise, or the air control is quiet enough that I don't notice.
The staff here looked pretty rough with visible tattoos, not normal hair, and sleepy in the mornings, but they were all very nice and attentive. The breakfast buffet is nothing to write home about but it's as good or better than any other 'included in the price' breakfast buffet that I've seen lately.
The hotel actually is a nice change from the chains that surround it and if the pillows and air conditioner cycling wouldn't bother you, I would recommend giving it a try.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

At the front desk, the young woman working the desk laughed when I had to assist my handicapped husband retrieve his wallet from his pocket. When I asked why she was finding his handicap so comical, she immediately stopped laughing and apologized. Arrived at my room and everything seemed fine except no towels and the previous occupant's food still in the refrigerator.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Jea9lib
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bloomington
Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center
Doubletree By Hilton Bloomington
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Bloomington
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington-Normal Airport
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#8 of 22 in Bloomington
Hyatt Place Bloomington - Normal

Been to The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!