The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
All reviewstony romasunique hotelantique furniturefridge and microwaveillinois state universitypool and hot tubin townconference centerstaff was very friendlyroom was clean and comfortablefree breakfastgreat pricewaffleslobbyconveniencecollegechain
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 31, 2012

This was my first visit to the Chateau Hotel but will not be the last. I was so amazed with the character of this hotel. The facade of the hotel gives you the feeling of royalty with the beautiful landscape and fountain, not much is missed. The lobby is anything but standard, it's obvious it has been newly renovated and gives the feeling of luxury. Check-in was fast and friendly, thanks Libby!

My suite was a King Executive and was very large and spacious, plenty of room to spread out and relax. I especially loved the chandelier in the living room! Housekeeping did a great job, as I inspected the room and didn't find anything that wasn't cleaned to perfection.

Touring the property I made my way to the Conference Center, also newly renovated. The hallways and entrance look brand new and a great deal of care has definitely gone into both.

I didn't have time to visit the restaurant or the pool but from what I could tell, the restaurant is also undergoing a renovation and is still serving breakfast and dinner daily.

Departure was quick and easy. Thank you to everyone who made my stay enjoyable, I will definitely be back.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank cajordan
Reviewed June 17, 2012

At the front desk, the young woman working the desk laughed when I had to assist my handicapped husband retrieve his wallet from his pocket. When I asked why she was finding his handicap so comical, she immediately stopped laughing and apologized. Arrived at my room and everything seemed fine except no towels and the previous occupant's food still in the refrigerator.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank Jea9lib
Reviewed May 7, 2012

The lobby and exterior of the hotel have the castle theme. The rooms have NONE of this. They were an average hotel room that hasn't been renovated in many years. The whole room just seemed tired. Beds were comfy, bathroom slightly moldy around the tub and the carpets were disgusting. The place was just ok.

They restaurant was pretty good and is in the process of renovation.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Anne3411
Reviewed March 30, 2012

I thought this property was exactly what you would expect in this region. In other words, nice people, reasonable cost....but if you are expecting the Four Seasons in Chicago or NY, your expectations are off.

While we were there, the Hotel Restaurant was going thru a renovation, which was a little inconvenient.....but, what are you going to do.....just bad timing, as this will happen at some point at every property. The rooms are somewhat ordinary and slightly drab, but, again, the per diem, is in the $ 99-129 range, so the property is right in line with the cost.

I found that the staff, with maybe one exception, was nice and eager to please. The wait staff at breakfast accommodated us when we needed to take the buffet to go (and did it with a smile)....and the breakfast cost was included with the cost of our room. It was your usual and expected fare and served its purpose.

One annoyance is that our room key was de-magnetized multiple times and it was kept separate from other credit cards, cell phones that may cause this. But, the front desk simply re-activated the card and we were good to go.

One of the best parts of this is that they have a shuttle, which will take you back and forth to the airport for free. Moreover, we were attending an athletic event at Illinois State University and they brought us back and forth by simply reserving a time....and, again, gratis. This saved us from renting a car and navigating around an area we were unfamiliar with....this is probably what prompted me to give this a 4th Star

The Wi-Fi was surprisingly strong....and free. Our room also had a Microwave and Fridge

I think once the restaurant is finished, this will be well worth your consideration if traveling to this area. Free Wi-Fi, Free Shuttle, Free Breakfast, Conference Center On Site, Lounge On Site, Nice Staff, Cute Fireplace Sitting Area right off Lobby

Beds and Pillows were a little soft for my taste, but that is simply a personal preference and I would never credit or "ding" a property over this.

So, again, as long as your expectations are properly set, you will not be disappointed

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank ShamrockQ
Reviewed February 25, 2012

We had a reservation at another hotel that we normally stay but it was booked with tons of high school kids. The manager of the Country Inn and Suites near the airport was good enough to cancel our reservation even though it was past the cut off time. Most the hotels were booked in Bloomington but we got into the Chateau no problems. My first interaction with the staff was over the phone, I should have taken it as an omen. A male answered the phone and was laughing so hard, (about what I have no idea), and then he hung up. I called back and a female answered this time. I told her that I had just been hung up on, her response was, "OK SO WHAT DO YOU NEED?" In a rather condescending voice. We didn’t want to turn around and go home, as we already promised our kids a weekend of pool time when we arrived we walked into a very grand lobby and thought, “OH THIS IS PRETTY COOL.”, and felt pleased with our decision. Ah but then came time to deal with the staff. I made the statement this place looks like a castle. The female employee stated, “YA THAT’S WHAT CHATEAU MEANS IN FRENCH.” Once again in a very condescending voice, as if I was some type of an idiot. She left and a male staff member came out. Was hopeful to deal with a new person. His voice sounded familiar and I asked him if he was the one laughing in the phone and hung up on me about 10 minutes prior to my arrival. He stated, “I DON’T KNOW MAYBE.” And gave me a dirty look. I was boiling at this point but being a police officer I know how to hold my tongue. Ok to the room and pool. The room at first glance appeared clean and comfortable, I was happy. Before pool time we went to the hotel restaurant for convenience. Two cheeseburgers and two chicken finger baskets for the kids later I dropped $60. I told myself don’t think about it you’re here to have fun with the kids. Ok to the pool. Large pool, large hot tub. The pool areas were dirty and had garbage on several of the deck tables. The pool temp was about 77deg, pretty cold. The men’s and women’s bathroom were filthy and the sauna was in shambles and didn’t work. Time for bed. The sheets did not smell clean, but the beds were comfortable. I went to the front desk to ask for more plastic cups and three more towels. You would have thought I was asking for the clerk’s kidney, rude, rude, rude. Woke up the next morning excited about the hot breakfast, oh boy, this day will be better. The buffet consisted of rubbery french toast, sausage links and powder eggs, yum, not! I thought the staff would address all the things I brought to their attention, dirty pool area, no towels in the pool area and the sauna, etc.... No. The same garbage was sitting in the same place in the deck area and the hot tub had a yellow film floating on top. Disgusted we decided it was time to depart. As I’m checking the room to make sure we had not forgotten any items, I checked under the beds, I wish I hadn’t. Under the beds I found, candy wrappers, a cell phone charger and some dirty socks. This told me the room had not been cleaned prior to our arrival. It was definitely time to GO! Upon checking out I was hopeful for a new nicer staff, no. The clerk threw my receipt at me and stated, ‘THERE YOU GO.” SAVE YOUR MONEY DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!! I DON’T LIKE GIVING MY HARD EARNED MONEY TO PEOPLE WHO TALKED TO ME LIKE I’M SOME TYPE OF IDIOT AND THE filthiness of the hotel has me feeling nauseas.
Jason