“Customer service is certainly lacking”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington-Normal West
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Bloomington
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Customer service is certainly lacking”
Reviewed December 6, 2011

I checked into the Country Inn at 6:30. The clerk waiting on me decided to answer the phone while I was standing at the counter waiting for my credit card and key to be processed. The call took a while since the person on the other end was trying to make a reservation online. This was rather odd to me since the person could have just made a reservation with the clerk. Still the clerk explained over and over what the person could try doing on their computer. Through it all I waited and waited even though the clerk gave me my credit card. So, sadly, I stood by all that time. It is always amazing to me how a clerk, no matter in what kind of business, will spend more time helping someone on the phone while a paying customer is standing right in front of them.

This morning I opened ironing board and got my clothes, which had been packed in a suitcase, ready to be ironed. You can imagine the wrinkles on the clothes from being in a suitcase. The problem was there was not an iron to be found in the room. No problem, I will just call the crack staff and request an iron to be brought to my room. When I called the front desk I was told the spare iron was not working. No problem, maybe they can bring me another one from an empty room. Boy was I wrong. Evidentally there is not another iron in the entire place that is available. Funny because I know the hotel is not fully booked. What got me the most is the phrase the morning clerk used over and over; "There is nothing, nothing I can do about it." I think it was the second nothing that was said over and over that got me the most! Hmmm, the meetings today will be interesting for me in wrinkled clothing. That is a great way to impress clients!

IBecause of this amazing lock of customer satisfaction I will never stay here again and hopefully this review will make you think twice about it as well.

Room Tip: Choose a good room at another hotel.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Robert M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Montgomery, Illinois
Reviewed December 4, 2011

I am not a fan of Country Inn. I last stayed at one about 6 years ago and we were treated so badly, especially my then 8 year old son by the nasty staff in Wisconsin that I vowed to NEVER EVER stay at one again. Why did I change my mind? My son and I were on a fishing trip prior to Thanksgiving and this Country Inn was closer to our fishing spot than any other in Bloomington and I did not want to take a chance on staying in a smaller town farther down the road which would have been closer. The pricing was very reasonable and I though what the heck. I was VERY HAPPY with this Country Inn. The staff was pleasant and friendly. The place was clean. The room was very good. Breakfast in the morning was also very nice. The only thing I would comment negatively on was the hot tub. It was hot and it churned just fine. Problem was it could maybe have used a shot of chlorine, water was clear but as soon as you started it up you got a smell like moldy or old water. We used it anyway because we were cold and needed it. The pool was fine. I read the comment by another person about the coating coming off the bottom but I think this was sand from the filter. It might be time for a little maintenance in this area, the exercise room was fine too. All in all I was happy with my stay. We were there 3 nights. I may even try Country Inn again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank JohnS51
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed November 10, 2011

We found this by searching online while driving to find a reasonably-priced stop for our road trip. Our criteria were straightforward: it was late, we were road-weary, and we REALLY wanted to unwind in a hot tub. So … we started calling around to see which hotels had hot tubs which would still be open late. With our travel association discount card, we got a great discount on this room and were pleasantly surprised. The room was spotless, the staff exceedingly courteous and the king-sized bed was super comfortable. And the best part? A pool/hot tub open until midnight! The next morning we enjoyed the complimentary breakfast which included the basics: cereal, yogurt, fruit, and make-your-own waffles. The hotel was smoke-free and thankfully did not have that “air freshener room spray smell that’s so common in chain motels (and which can be very annoying to scent-sensitive travelers like me).Not luxurious by any means, but all in all, served our purposes well for a quick sleepover stop.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KateMcNeill
Navarre, Florida
Reviewed October 22, 2011

Always thought Country Inn and Suites were great hotels until this experience. Dated decor in the room and less than clean. Noise level was ridiculous with drunken neighbors coming in at 3 a.m.
Neighborhood less than stellar. Amenities were ok (pool, breakfast).

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Mattoon, Illinois
Reviewed October 9, 2011

With stressful family situations at home, my husband and I needed a relaxing night away. We had two problems with our stay. We were first given a room with no running water in the sink. We didn't realize the problem until we had moved in and returned from dinner. When we reported it, we were given another room across the hall, so we moved our belongings. It was a warm evening and we were disgusted to find the AC was not working. We tried opening the window which not only would not stay open, but crashed down. Luckily it didn't smash my fingers. Ok, so we propped the window open with the information notebook. Husband went out to the desk where a line of customers were waiting to check in. After a while the AC started followed by a phone call saying they had forgotten to activate the AC from the desk. Duh! Otherwise, the pool was clean and just a tad cool. The hotttub was hot and relaxing. The bed was comfortable. The cookies were good and the breakfast was adequate. At checkout we found the manager hadn't heard anything from the evening staff about the room issues. He took some off our bill. Hopefully room 102 now has running water.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
lafayette, in
Reviewed August 8, 2011

We called for 2 rooms, they had one room for us?!? They wouldnt do anything about it!?! Verify your reservation as they dont seem to get it right and dont know how to fix anything either, customer is last at this hotel : (

• Stayed July 2011
Reviewed August 6, 2011

Looking at some of the other posts on other hotels in the area it was hard to believe some of them. Really all the first time posters loving a generic hotel chain hotel? So anyways thought it was time to post a review on this chain hotel. It was fine. What you would expect from this chain. Not upscale but nice and clean. I got upgraded to a suite which is always great. The breakfast choices are good and free. They did run out of milk which was not cool. There was a Girl Soft ball tourn. in town and the hotel was full but they should have made sure to have enough milk one would think. The rooms are not trendy with Country Inn and suites but they are clean. Very small breakfast area but the lady that worked there was very nice and helpful and was trying her best to keep table clear.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family