“Mothers Day Brunch”

Baxter's American Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Baxter's American Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 253 Restaurants in Bloomington
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Haeffle Drive
Transit: Conveniently located on the Teal "J" line. Cab service is approximately $5 from downtown Bloomington. Arriving guests from the Central Illinois Regional Airport can simply contact the our adjoining hotel (Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites)for a complimentary ride to the restaurant.
Description: Experience the contemporary decor, freshly made entrees from our professional chef and exceptional service. The restaurant offers seating for groups from 1- 80. Our outdoor patio is perfect for the summer evenings and our lounge is an exciting setting to view your favorite sports game with friends. Menu includes: Cedar Plank Salmon, Filet Mignon, Ribeye, Red Snapper, BBQ Ribs, Homemade Soups, Fresh Salads, and many other choices. Come in and experience Baxter's...casual atmosphere, quality food at reasonable prices. Our concept includes a variety of seafood, chops and steaks and is also a family friendly environment.
Glenview, Illinois
“Mothers Day Brunch”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Food was great....but they really packed us in. Food was cold by the time we got to the table to eat it.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Manager45589

location, location. location...
“A gem in the cornfield”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Just got off the plane at Central Illinois Regional Airport, grabbed a rental and drove across Rt. 9 to Baxter's to meet up with old friends. Wow, what a great dinner and dining experience we had. Very fresh wedge salad, unbelievable halibut and the wife and I had the planked salmon. Great service and all at a reasonable price. Highly recommended.

• Visited May 2013
Decatur, Illinois
“Great food, great atmosphere if you're not alone or with a child”
Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

I decided to try the restaurant on a night when I was alone and wanting a steak. I walked in without reservations and had no problem being immediately seated. I was taken to the area at the front of the restaurant, near the windows to the parking lot. I was seated in a booth and at the time didn't think anything about it. After sitting for a few minutes I realized that I was on the edge of the walkway to the hotel with lots of foot traffic and across from me was a family with a small child. I noticed other single diners in the same area. It wasn't until I went to use the restroom later that I realized that there is a whole back area that would have been more to my taste for seating. No traffic and comfortable surroundings. If I go again, I'm going to ask to be seated in that area.

The food was wonderful. I was there on a night that had appetizers for half price, so even though I was alone, I ordered the Andouille Stuffed Mushrooms. I figured I'd eat a couple and take the rest home. They came on a plate with about five mushroom caps, decorated with a sauce. They were so good I ended up eating them all!

Next was the French onion soup which I chose instead of salad with my entree. Really good, good portion of cheese melted on top. Yum.

My entree was the ribeye steak and it was so tender and wonderful it melted in my mouth. It came with choice of potato and I'd chosen baked but I really ignored it in order to savor the steak and not explode from all I'd already eaten.

I drank Corona with the meal and I was given a frosty glass to pour it in.

The meal was fantastic. If you pay attention to the seating you will definitely enjoy yourself at this restaurant.

Visited March 2013
Bloomington, Illinois
“Great Food, Service and Atmosphere”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

My wife and another couple recently dined at Baxters American Grille. This restaurant was formerly JBucks and the ambiance of the well-appointed bar and dining room offers a big-city dining experience on the East Side of Bloomington. When we walked in the spacious foyer we were greeted by a friendly hostess who seated us in the warm relaxing dining room. The restaurant was full and we were glad we’d made reservations. As we slid in to our booth the bus boy immediately greeted us, filled our water glasses, and let us know our waiter would be right with us. He arrived shortly and presented the menus and asked for our drink order. Returning promptly with our drinks he thoroughly explained the specials for that evening and asked if we wanted an appetizer. Our friends love Calamari so we ordered one to share. The seasonal, diverse menu boasts a variety of signature dishes that you can't get find anywhere else in Blo/No with a variety of steaks, chops, seafood, house favorites, pizza, sandwiches, soups and salads and desserts.
The bus boy dropped off some warm rolls and butter tubs and our Calamari followed. The crispy dish was served with a Cajun spice seasoning with a duo of remoulade and marinara. Great start to our meal. Tender and lightly battered with no greasy after taste.
Our waiter returned to ask about wine and to take our order. Baxters has a good selection of wine and the waiter helped us choose what would go well with our entrees. We decided to continue with a wedge iceberg salad, two Baxter salads and a Spinach salad. The wedge came with chunky blue cheese dressing, grape tomatoes, bacon bits and freshly ground pepper. Baxter’s Salad is made with fresh and crispy mixed greens, smoked gouda, tomatoes, candied walnuts, apples, red onion, carrots with the house apple vinaigrette. The Spinach Salad included applewood bacon, walnuts, red onion, egg and dried cranberries served with a warm bacon dressing. All were delicious!
We followed our salads with entrees of Scallops Three Ways, Cedar Plank Salmon, Filet Oscar, and the Skate special. The Scallops Three Ways we served on an oblong plate with three large scallops one blacked, one stuffed with blue cheese, the other white wine sauté, with béarnaise and grilled asparagus. The scallops were perfectly cooked, tender and each one with a different delightful flavor. The asparagus was perfectly grilled and the sauce a wonderful compliment to the veg. The Cedar Plank Salmon was a nice sized filet on a cedar blank with a creamy dill Dijon sauce. Again perfectly cooked to a flakey, cedar smoked flavor accompanied by garlic mashed potatoes. The Filet Oscar was a beautiful 8oz. Filet Mignon topped with a generous portion of lump crab with the house béarnaise served over asparagus with garlic mashed potatoes. The diner’s only comment was - Wow! I had the skate. Skate is a cousin of the sting ray. The skate wing was sautéed in a garlic butter sauce and served with a crown of potato sticks. This fish tasted like lobster, very tender, but yet had a firm texture. Absolutely delicious!
We finished our meal with coffees and shared a Gooey Butter Cake with chocolate malt ice cream & caramel over the top. MMM!
Our visit was indeed a unique culinary experience you can get nowhere else in Bloomington/Normal. The service was of the highest quality by trained professionals. Our waiter had 3 tables and a table of 14 and he never missed a beat. The food was superb. Baxter's fresh and affordable menu along with their warm and casual atmosphere makes it perfect for your evening out! I’m giving it 5 Beans!!

• Visited April 2013
Glenview, Illinois, United States
“Excellent experience”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I was with my daughter on a visit to ISU and we stayed at the Holiday Inn Hotel and Suites. Baxter's is an independent restaurant but serves as the hotel's breakfast restaurant. We had breakfast and dinner at Baxter's. Dinner was excellent and well worth the reasonable price for the quality of the food. Our server, Chris, recommended the Strawberry Shortcake Napolean. AWESOME dessert. We will undoubtedly be back in Bloomington and will be sure to return to Baxter's. We also had a very good experience with breakfast. We got to the restaurant on the late side, missing the buffet option, which was fine. We were happy to order off the menu. I simply wanted Raisin Bran and sliced sliced fruit. The latter wasn't on the menu but our server, Autumn, volunteered to bring sliced strawberries and blueberries for me. She really went out of her way! I saw a different server accommodate another guest's special request, as well. Both servers were gracious and helpful.

• Visited April 2013