“Very good food”

Baxter's American Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Baxter's American Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 253 Restaurants in Bloomington
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Haeffle Drive
Transit: Conveniently located on the Teal "J" line. Cab service is approximately $5 from downtown Bloomington. Arriving guests from the Central Illinois Regional Airport can simply contact the our adjoining hotel (Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites)for a complimentary ride to the restaurant.
Description: Experience the contemporary decor, freshly made entrees from our professional chef and exceptional service. The restaurant offers seating for groups from 1- 80. Our outdoor patio is perfect for the summer evenings and our lounge is an exciting setting to view your favorite sports game with friends. Menu includes: Cedar Plank Salmon, Filet Mignon, Ribeye, Red Snapper, BBQ Ribs, Homemade Soups, Fresh Salads, and many other choices. Come in and experience Baxter's...casual atmosphere, quality food at reasonable prices. Our concept includes a variety of seafood, chops and steaks and is also a family friendly environment.
Chicago, Illinois
“Very good food”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

A very nice place. Also has rooms for more private events. I had the salmon and it was excellent. The facility is attached to the Holiday Inn and one can enter it without having to go outside. In the Midwest winters that is a nice plus. Also plenty of free parking.

Visited February 2013

Bloomington, IL
“Great service but...”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Maybe because of our party of nine but for my first time at Baxter's I was not impressed. The service was terrific but the portion sizes were surprisingly small for the price. Six scallops and 4 asparagus for $25. Maybe because they were trying to serve all at once the tops of my scallops were way overcooked and the asparagus all shriveled. One steak was ordered and it was overcooked as well and very small. According to my table mates the shrimp and scallops pasta was OK...something else was really spicy and the red snapper was super thin. The winner at the table was the chicken pot pie....but not what I would have expected for the price. The salads were generous but not inventive or especially flavorful. We didn't order desert.

• Visited February 2013
Waukegan
“good and bad”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I brought my wife and another couple to Baxters an a Friday night. Initial service was slow and we waited over 20 minutes after ordering for a glass of wine and a beer.
The waiter was not very knowledgeable nor attentive. Upon ordering dinner we were informed they were out of garlic mashed potatoes which 2 of the dinners we ordered were served over. they settled for something else How do you run out of garlic mashed potatoes at 7:00 on a Friday night? About 20 minutes after ordering our dinners (before my salad came) we saw a few other tables with people that arrived after us getting a bread baskets. We had to ask for ours. The bread, which they brought out with my salad, was very good. I had the blue cheese wedge salad that was the best I have had anywhere. For dinner I had the Cioppino (seafood stew) that was very good. We ordered dessert which took forever to get (seriously another 20 minutes). I was pleased with my salad and Cioppino but 2 people in our party were less than enthused with theirs. My wife's Smothered Grilled Chicken was luke warm at best.
I have read other reviews and our visit may not have been normal and we MAY try it again, but it won't be our first choice.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Larry W
Illinois
“So good!”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Going to Baxter's is always a special occasion. The food is always good. The clientale is more upscale it seems...that could be due to the prices. It's attached to a hotel, but it is by no means a hotel style restaurant. It's fresh and good food.

Visited December 2012
Dallas, Texas
“Pretty Nice for Bloomington”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have been here at least 12 times over the last few years, including a few when it was JBucks. The food is always good and they rotate the menu enough to keep it interesting. But what really sets this place apart from most of the greater Bloomington/ Normal metropolitan area is great service. From the moment you walk in the door to the moment you leave, you are given fantastic service. My most recent stay was while I stayed at the hotel attached to Baxters and was impressed to see this (excellent service) even carries over to the breakfast they serve for the Holiday Inn customers. Someone must be training these people right, because its a rarity in the area.

I really wish I could give this place 5 stars, but honestly I despise their beer selection. If you are a fan of Bud products then this is you kinda place, but for what is ultimately an upscale place for the area - the beer menu is more in line with a low end burger joint.

Visited January 2013