“Very good local restaurant”
Review of El Sapo Perezoso

El Sapo Perezoso
Ranked #2 of 15 Restaurants in Droylsden
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Manchester, UK
“Very good local restaurant”
Reviewed June 2, 2012 via mobile

We live nearby and often travel into town or south Manchester when we eat out. However this is our fail safe, nearby restaurant where we know we'll get good food and service at very reasonable prices.

The menu is varied and there's something to suit everyone. There are many authentic spanish options and the portions are good. A criticism is that there's a lot of deep fried options and not much skill required in many dishes. Also the portion sizes tend to vary hugely depending on how busy they are and who is cooking!

The restaurant is very good value and there are a large selection of drinks available. It is cosy and welcoming with comfortable seating. I wish there were more places like this in the area!

Aileen W, Owner at El Sapo Perezoso, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
I appreciate your review, thank you very much. At the moment we have 5 dishes which are deep fried, however 2 of these dishes can be cooked in the oven and we are more than happy to do this. The portion sizes should always be the same, our chef has been with us for 3 years so perhaps he was on holiday. We will look into this

“A Bright Spot in Droylsden”
Reviewed March 31, 2012

We visit El Sapo most weekend mainly for the Sangria which deserves its own 5 star review on Tripadvisor!Try a jug(or 3....)!Top food,service,staff ,atmosphere and bar area.

• Visited March 2012
2 Thank scoie1973
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed March 25, 2012

I've always been a fan of Spanish tapas, but there are so few places to enjoy it in the UK. In fact, if my experiences are anything to go by, it's also difficult to find anywhere to enjoy it in Spain. It's often had be wondering whether the idea of tapas is something that's become commercial outside of its native country, and just become something of a brand.

So it stands to reason that perhaps La Tasca comes to mind when people think of having a tapas meal, but to my mind, La Tasca is something like the McDonald's of the tapas world.

But I would never have thought that hidden away in Droyslden, of all places, would be an independent little tapas place, and one that does the most delicious foods, and some of the nicest tapas dishes that I've yet tasted.

I went with my partner, with a table booked for 8 o'clock. We arrived bang on time and we're shown to a table near the bar, to enjoy a drink while looking through the menu. There were around 36 choices on the standard menu, and on the day we went, 3 specials to add to that list.

It immediately became evident that it was going to be very difficult to select from the list because everything sounded so delicious. It was probably because of that reason that we ended up ordering no less than 10 tapas courses between us, including calamari, chicken in a creamy paprika and mushroom sauce, patatas bravas, stuffed peppers, lamb special, king prawn and chorizo special, garlic sauted mushrooms... the list goes on and on...

We were told that we would be shown to a table as soon as food was ready - and this time came around a lot more quickly that I'd anticipated. By about 8.20 we were sat at our table and the first of the tapas dishes were being delivered to the table. And this is the only side of things that I would perhaps call into question slightly.

The restaurant operates a system whereby a few dishes at a time are brought to the table. I can completely understand why they do it this way, because it stops the tables from being crowded, and stops anyone feeling over-faced. But part of the joy of tapas is to dip into bits of everything. To mix and match and try things perhaps someone else ordered as they try something of yours, and enjoy the whole experience.

But by dishes arriving in an order determined by the kitchen (which probably was based on how long individual things took to cook) it means eating the dishes as they're served, as you don't want them to go cold, and you're always aware that you "need to finish this one quickly before the next one arrives".

To be fair to them this is probably the most efficient way that they can operate, and I'm not saying it spoiled things because it didn't - not at all. But it would be nice to perhaps be able to choose which dishes are brought out - and perhaps to ask for, say, 10 minutes between every so many dishes, so that diners know they can take their time a little bit and not feel rushed.

In fact, despite ordering so many dishes, we'd actually finished our meal within an hour of arriving - and that was allowing time for the ordering itself, which took up around 15 minutes of that.

It's such a lovely little place that I felt I wanted to say there longer and enjoy it more. The ceiling is beamed and the walls are a dark terracotta red, with Spanish songs playing in the background. I just wish they could think of a way of allowing people to stay longer without the food part of the evening being over so quickly.

Though one way to extend your stay is to enjoy one of the lovely desserts on offer. We selected a home-made apple crumble with custard, and a chocolate pudding with ice cream (with a white chocolate centre). Both were very nice indeed.

Personally, I'm delighted to happen upon such a lovely place right around the corner from where I live, and one I'm therefore definitely going to be visiting again, both to try different courses, see what different specials are available, and to take friends and family who visit.

But I'd also go as far to say that it's worth making a trip to, if you live in the outlying areas - just be prepared that the trip itself might take longer than the meal - but perhaps as the waitresses to stagger the delivery of your dishes, as I think we might do when we revisit - which we definitely will be doing :-)

• Visited March 2012
2 Thank MouthyMatthew
Aileen W, Owner at El Sapo Perezoso, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
I'm glad you enjoyed your visit with us, normally if you book a table after 7.30 you will have the table all night and can take your time eating. When your order is taken just let us know and you can have the tapas in any order, many customers take breaks between 'courses' so that they can fully appreciate the food. Thank you for your comments
Manchester
“Great tapas and service”
Reviewed March 3, 2012

Great local tapas restaurant with good selection of well cooked and presented Spanish tapas. Been here on numerous occasions and the service and food is always of a high quality.

Manchester
“Wonderful choice to see in New year”
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Had a really lovely meal here last night. Food was excellent and a brilliant choice for vegetarians. Service was also spot on. A hidden gem in droylsden and definitely worth the trip.