“Nice comfortable stay.”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Bedford Park
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Nice comfortable stay.”
Reviewed September 20, 2011

Very helpful front desk. Free warm cookies in the evening. $11 breakfast bar available in the morning. Well equipped gym (took advantage). Comfortable rooms, free internet access. Parking was $11/night which seemed a bit like robbery, but guess that's par for Chicago and that Midway park. Only complaint I had was the pillows - for some reason never was able to sleep on those pillows (too hard). Probably should have sought a new one. Other than that, great stay.

p.s. Well, I guess the only OTHER complaint I have is that there are relatively few good restaurants in the area, which is a MAJOR hotel hub area. Come on, folks! Can't you give us something other than TGI Fridays or Dempsey's Irish American Grill??

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed September 15, 2011

From July 22nd to July 24th, 2011, my parents and I had stayed at the luxurious Hilton Garden Inn near the Chicago Midway Airport, for our biennial B.M.M. (Brihan Maharashtra Mandal) Convention of North America and Canada. During this Convention, amenities were made to and from the McCormick Convention Center, by a special shuttle bus,

The Hotel rooms were so posh and lush, that there was a large screen television in each of the guests rooms, as well as deep cushion double size mattress beds. Room service was available for guests 24/7 with breakfast, lunch and dinner amenities being made able to be brought up to each individual guest's room!

Also, there was a wide screen t.v. in the parlor room of the main lobby of the hotel. In addition to this, there was a complimentary breakfast bar, with all kinds of breakfast entrees, including cereal, toast, Blueberry, English as well as Cranberry muffins, regular as well as raisin bagels with cream cheese, as well as coffees galore, tea and all kinds of fruit juices (orange, grape fruit, etc.) Not to mention, a full-service Family Restaurant and Bar, which was open 24/7 too!

On the second floor of the hotel, there was a full use gym and Personal Body-training Center, with both a steam room and a sauna (whirlpool) for all patrons to use, with a full crystal blue-water large family-size swimming pool outside on the patio deck of the front main-office! Any time that customers needed anything , just ask the staff at the Main Office and they would serve you with a smile! :))

Room Tip: Rooms with a view of the city sky-line is best!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
West Vancouver
Reviewed August 31, 2011

I've come to this hotel several times over the past few years and they do get the basics right, but this time I was irritated by a couple of things.

On the good side - immaculately clean, safe and the rooms are spacious.

This time though I was irritated by the fridge in my room. At first I noticed that the fridge is not balanced so when I went to put my complimentary bottled water, it was bouncing around. The next morning, when I went to get some icy cold water, I found it was room temperature - the fridge was set to OFF or on the lowest setting.

I found this very frustrating - is there a lack of attention to the maintenance of the fridges? Is it intentional to keep the fridges in the OFF or lowest setting?

Also I was in the restaurant/bar around 8pm and found the area exceptionally warm. The air conditioning was not set cool enough or was off. If you walked to a different part of the reception area, the temperature was cooler. I asked the server about it who basically shrugged her shoulders. I then mentioned this to management who offered to call maintenance, but I didn't get a confident that even management thought it could be solved. By the time I left at 9 there was no improvement.

Is the air conditioning in that area defective? Is it impossible for employees to adjust a setting? Why was it so warm in the restaurant?

After many visits to this hotel over the years, I can still wholeheartedly recommend it. It would just be nice if the details that really make a guest comfortable can be worked out.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Margaret D, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Midway Airport, responded to this review, September 1, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our property. All issues mentioned have been addressed and are being rectified. The Air Conditioning issue in the Restaurant is being repaired now by our engineering team, and should be fully functioning within the next couple of hours. Thank you for your patience while we worked through this issue. If you would like to discuss further, please contact me at the hotel directly. Your feedback is invaluable, and we truly appreciate it! Thank you for your loyalty to Hilton and for continuing to recommend our property!
Regards,
Margaret Dye
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Here I am again, trying to find a good hotel in Chicago that doesn't charge an arm and leg for parking. This one was only an arm --- but they did charge for parking. The hotel itself is a bit hard to find. It sits way back behind a couple Mariotts and a Hampton Inn and a Holiday Inn. So you can say it's a hotel park..
Very clean, nice restaurant on the premise. The waitress was especially nice. The A/C seemed to not be working at the restaurant as it was VERY hot, but at the check in desk it was cool. Nice selection of breakfast foods at the restaurant.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank phxaz54
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed July 29, 2011

I went to Midway for a business dinner with a prospect who was flying out the next day. Stayed overnight so I too could catch a flight.

The Hilton Garden Inn is a short shuttle from Midway and an efficient and decent place to over-night. The check-in is friendly and was fast for me, but probably slows done if there are a few customers on the shuttle. The room was clean, a decent size with a large comfy bed and strangely small pillows. Bathroom toiletries by Neutragena - which was nice. I think $200 + + is steep for all that but maybe Chicago is booming. Probably worth about 30% less.

One warning. The American Grill - the hotel's 'restaurant' - is truly awful. It is a canteen/diner used for the hotel's breakfast, with no ambience. I ordered a steak, thinking if it was a Gril at least a steak can't go wrongl . . .but it came overcooked, tough and coated in pepper. My guest's salmon was smothered in sugary sauce.

Midway seems a bit of a desert for good restaurants, so no idea where else one should eat. But the American Grill at the HGI is definitely not the place. I knew I was taking a risk eating at an airport hotel, but even so, it was a disappointing experience.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Targetsea
Mount Dora, Florida
Reviewed July 26, 2011

I was nervous about this location but with a 6am flight we wanted some place VERY close to Midway Airport. I have to tell you that reviewer BlondeAllOver is correct. There is nothing at all wrong with this location. There are several hotels within this large fenced in property but it is very open to the outside with no problems at all. Directly across the street from this side is a cute little well kept subdivision of middle class homes on small lots. We walked with no fear or issues outside and all the way to the corner of the airport, quite a few blocks away, for dinner at Giordano's Pizza. We're glad we did. Of course you aren't going to have the fanciest neighborhoods by the airport. But to be this close to the airport with all these conveniences around...it's a mistake to not stay here.

We loved the shuttle service especially since this location was the first on, first off location. We didn't have to drive around to all the other hotels upon arrival. This is a shared shuttle service for all the hotels in the complex. And on the morning of departure, we are the ones who got the shuttle on the dot at 4:20.

The ladies working the desk were very nice, the cookies at the desk were really yummy, and our room was large and extra clean. I was worried about the room while walking down the hall towards it. I always try to find an area for improvement when staying anywhere and this was it. The hall carpet has become very dingy and it really needs a good cleaning or better yet, a replacement at this point might be in order. I definitely wouldn't avoid staying here because of that since overall we found the hotel to be excellent in service and location. The rest of the hotel had no issues of dirty or dingy appearance.

I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Chicago Marriott Midway
Chicago Marriott Midway
#119 of 190 in Chicago
Courtyard Chicago Midway Airport

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Midway Airport? Share your experiences!