Lowest prices for your stay
$277
View deal
Free cancellation until 11/06/21
Hotels.com
Official Hotel Site$321
Booking.com$291
CheapTickets$277
1,771 results
All reviews private beach nature walk coral sea picnic hamper golf buggy port douglas eco lodge every other day bird life shuttle service eucalypt bungalow four nights palm trees on stilts minute drive spent nights beautiful resort
Selected filters
Reviewed January 3, 2009

This was our second stay at Thala Beach. Every aspect of the service was first class. The food is excellent, Herbert is a brilliant chef. The guest service personnel, Hamish and Steve could not be more helpful and Ray & Chris were extremely knowledgeable about every aspect of the menu and wine list. The coral sea bungalows provided an exhilariating view and walking again on the beach was unforgettable. It is very clear that everyone who works at Thala enjoys working there, they work so well together and they all have nice things to say about their employers - quite rare these days!
Hope to go back again next year!!!

Reviewed December 19, 2008

My wife and I left the kids with Grandma and wanted an indulgent night to ourselves - so off we went ot Thala! It was a wonderful experience and the only thing that we were left wanting was that we could have stayed longer! The work over the years by the owners to create an environmental wonderland is very obvious. The accomodation and facilities are of a very high standard and yet have a low impact environmentally. We loved the walking tracks, the pools, the trees, the seclusion and the views! Most of all though we valued the service from the staff - they were unimposing and yet ever-so quick to meet our every need, with a smile. We would thrououghly recommend Thala to others!

Reviewed December 13, 2008

I researched this hotel on line prior to booking so had high expectations after reading other reviews. All my expectations were met. The lodge itself was stunning in beautiful surroundings, the bungalow was 5 star, the star gazing and nature trail included (no charge) trips were excellent and the 'transport' in the form of a golf buggy was just outstanding. You could even call from the beach and asked to be picked up if you couldn't be bothered to walk back!
Only downside would be the choice of food, you are remote (20 mins free shuttle into Port Douglas) so if you didn't fancy going out you were limited (in the evenings) to a quite formal and expensive menu. The daytime snack menu however was fine.

Date of stay: November 2008
Reviewed December 10, 2008

I have just read that Thala was voted top in the 2008 Trip Advisors Readers Choice award* ahead of any other Australian property and having stayed there two weeks ago I can totally understand why they deserve it.

We were so impressed - not just by the place but by the staff who were exceptional in every aspect. We finally figured it out : happy staff = happy guests and vice versa! And what's not to be happy about at this place - it is SO wonderfully Australian : on the Great Barrier Reef/directly overlooking the beach/exceptional local produce and cuisine plus great private and comfy accom.

A very deserving accolade for a great experience, thanks Thala.

* Voted No. 2 in Best Luxury Retreats in the Pacific region, and No. 32 in Best Luxury Retreats in the Worldwide category.

Reviewed December 7, 2008

We arrived in Cairns on Nov 26 for a 3 night - 2 day stay at Thala Beach Lodge. Sun Palm Transport had us wait 1 3/4 hours outdoors at the bus pick-up in the heat and humidity of midday (32 degrees with 87% humidity). We were 3 hours late in arriving at Thala. The front desk at Thala was not impressed with Sun Palm Transport when we explained why we were so late. However the staff at Thala were gratious and helpful upon our arrival.

Our room gave us a beautiful view of the beach to the south east. The room itself is above compare. Of the five places we stayed at, Thala gave us our best accommidations. Wonderfully outfitted with a fully stocked fridge. The bath had a separate tub and shower stall. I found the flatscreen T.V. to be a little too small for the room (I believe it was about 14"). One should not expect to be sitting in front of the T.V. for any great length of time when at Thala, but I did want to check out the weather and news and to do so I usually had to sit on the edge of the bed to get a decent view. Not a big issue though.

We had an all-inclusive pre-paid package so the meals and in-room bar were included. If we wanted extra drinks at lunch, they were to be charged to the room. So to for any drinks bought during the day between meals. At dinner the meals came with a free bottle of Australian wine. Because some of our favorite wines are Australian so this was an added bonus.

Thala provides the option of eating in the main dining area or in your room. They also can provide a fully equipped picnic basket if you choose to dine on the beach. We ate all of our meals in the main dining area because the view from up there was outstanding and the staff was great. As for the menus, breakfast was a buffet style with your choice of many fruits, cereals, cold meats, eggs, bacon, juices, etc. Very nice. The lunch and supper menus are a little bit more exotic. No weiners and beans will be found here. The food is very well prepared and wonderfully displayed. There's plenty of seafood with lamb and beef as well. The menu does not change from day to day and what I discovered by my third dinner was that I had eaten my three most favorite items on the menu. If we had stayed a fourth night I would have opted for a repeat meal rather than trying one of the four or five other selections. The tenderlion was my favorite.

Thala is a place to go to for rest and relaxation. On our first day the morning was overcast (but hot!) so we took the bus up to Port Douglas (pre-paid as well). If fancy, rich foods are not on your palette a trip to Port Douglas for lunch or supper may suit you better than eating every meal at the resort. Port Douglas is a typical toursit community with lots of little shops and restraunts. We enjoyed our 3 hours there. By midday the sun finally broke through and we took the 1:00 pm bus back to Thala for some swimming and relaxing by the pool. There is a spa located at Thala, but we opted not to partake. A typical treatment was $180.00 per person.

Our second day was just a lazy day by the pool and a walk along the sandy beach. Nobody swam in the ocean because of the marine stinger migration to the coast during the hot months (Nov to April). If we had forewarning of this we probably would have booked our trip outside of this time. I should also point out that these beaches have no lifeguards and no first aid stations (vinegar bottles) for treating stinger injuries. So if you chose to ignore the staff warnings you swim at your own risk.

There is a small gift shop in the main building. The internet computer was down while we were there so the staff let us use the computer inside the gift shop. You can also rent DVD's to watch in your room, but we could not get the DVD to play on our T.V. even after calling the front desk and following their instructions.

Thala is a place to go to relax and unwind. My only regret is that we went to Thala at the beginning of our Austalian adventure and not at the end. To end our time Downunder at Thala would have been a great way to come home. The scenery is outstanding. The staff are incredible and food very good.

We would like to return to Thala. What I would do differently is put Thala and the end of our trip and next time spend some time at the spa. Everything else can remain unchanged.

Thanks for the great stay Thala!!!

Date of stay: November 2008
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)