Thala Beach Nature Reserve
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$295
  • Pool
Paradise Links Resort(Port Douglas)(Great Value!)
$109
$103
Titree Resort Holiday Apartments(Port Douglas)(Great Value!)
$171
$138
Agoda.com
  • Pool
Oaks Lagoons(Port Douglas)(Great Value!)
$112
$93
  • Pool
Ramada Resort Port Douglas(Port Douglas)(Great Value!)
$116
$127
$122
Agoda.com
  • Pool
QT Port Douglas(Port Douglas)(Great Value!)
$163
$133
Hotels.com
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
1,544 results
All reviewsprivate beachnature walkrock poolsgolf buggycoral seamain buildingwelcome drinkport douglaseco lodgeflora and faunaevery other daystinger seasonour honeymoonbird lifethe great barrier reefshuttle busshuttle service
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I lost count of the amount of times I said the word "incredible" whilst staying at Thala - because it was just that, incredible.

We are a couple in our early 30's who stayed in early October for the last 3 nights of our honeymoon after staying in a more traditional resort in the heart of Port Douglas... and we are so glad we did. For the most part, other guests seemed to be in their 30's also, with a large portion also being older couples. I didn't see children frequently whilst staying at Thala.

After checking in, the friendly staff usher you upstairs for a welcome cocktail whilst looking out over the most amazing view you're ever likely to see. They then walked us to our room which was situated half way between the main reception and beach - a relatively short, but steep walk.

The rooms are lovely and refreshing and in keeping with the eco theme of the lodge. Rooms are serviced every two days (which for us was totally fine) but they did stop past on the day in between to see if we would like fresh towels. The view from our balcony was delightful.

Both breakfast and dinner in the restaurant were superb - in fact, some of the best quality food I've ever eaten (though dinner can be a little expensive). The staff were fantastic - very attentive to your needs and always made us feel very welcome.

The beach was simply stunning. We spent many hours reading magazines in the hammock and sipping cocktails from Herbie's Beach Shack (open 430 - 6pm daily). I would have liked to see longer opening hours for this bar as the location was so perfect to sit quietly and sip a beverage.

I highly recommend ordering a picnic hamper and finding a quiet spot to share it with your special someone. We took ours down to the rock pool with a bottle of french champagne and spent the afternoon eating and swimming - pure delight!!

The property is very hilly so could present some problems for those with mobility issues - that said, they staff were more than happy to ferry people around in the buggies if needed!

We LOVED this place - just perfect - I've never felt more relaxed - a real credit to the owners and their staff. Thank you, Thala.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Shanjones
Reviewed October 11, 2013

This place was exactly as it was presented in its website - a quiet bungalow style resort tucked away in the tropical forest, close to the beach. The views from the breakfast table were breathtaking. Staff were friendly, and the bungalows were set in a wonderfully peaceful setting. The pools are excellent also. My only gripes were the spring mattress and the lack of equipment in the bungalows for your own prepared meals I.e no microwave or cutlery and plates. However, the staff were only too kind to bring down some plates and knives for us. Thanks Thala, we would be glad to return - good value stay.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Llama F
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Tina & I stayed at the resort 4/10-9/10/2013. We had a wonderful time. If you are looking for a secluded beach, lovely pools, accomodation in the rainforest, REALLY EXCELLENT STAFF!, a great restaurant and peace and quiet then this is the place for you. If you want bling, discos, noise then go somewhere else.This is a resort for those who appreaciate the environment, flora and fauna and peace & privacy.
Regarding various negative reviews about room servicing etc seen on this review site. All I can say is that when you ask for something at this place it gets done. So if you need your room serviced more frequently than every 2 days then just call reception and it will happen. By the way we had a lovely "basket meal" in our accomodation hut. It was great. Will stay again. Adrian

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tina L
Reviewed October 10, 2013

This was a return trip for me, having stayed with my father in June (which was a great experience).
This time I went with my family - wife and 2 teenage children. Again, had a really enjoyable stay. Spent 4 nights.
The staff very attentive. Member of staff helped us book a reef trip - very knowledgable and made it very easy for us - certainly saved us the hassle of doing it all ourselves.
Relaxed atmosphere, good standard rooms.
Last time I stayed I noted 2 issues I thought could potentially be an issue - but on my return trip I realised they were not problems:
- no air con in bathroom, just ceiling fans. This time we went it was hotter, but it did not prove an issue
- pillows that I feared my wife would find too hard. She didn't!

We went to oak beach this time (last trip my father could not walk up hills). Lovely beach - great to be so close to hotel yet feel uncrowded too.

Overall - lovely trip. I would very much recommend Thala Beach Lodge

Stephen Ford (Sydney)

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank stephen f
Reviewed October 7, 2013

My sister and I stayed here for six nights on a trip around Australia. This place is absolutely beautiful. Located a few miles outside Port Douglas, you stay in individual bungalows which are spacious and comfortable. The bungalows are spread out so people are not on top of each other and there is some privacy. The reception and dining room are beautiful with no windows so you could sit and watch the birds and animals while having a meal. The beach is deserted and there are a few hammocks strung from trees and sun beds under the palm trees to keep you in the shade.The staff were wonderful and Rose one of the receptionists came outside to greet us when we arrived. The dining room staff were friendly and helpful and were very patient about answering our questions about animals and birds we had seen. We liked sitting on our balcony at night listening to the sounds of the forest. There are several activities included in the price of the stay such as star gazing and nature walks. It is very isolated but there is a shuttle bus which takes you into Port Douglas for $8 each way per person which we found a bit pricey. The service is also limited. It is very hilly and has some steep slopes so is not suitable for everyone. They will take you around in a buggy if you ask. The dinner menu was too fussy for our tastes but the puddings made up for that. We also found the food and drink a bit pricey as you are a bit of a captive audience unless you want to go to the effort of going into Port Douglas.The freshwater pools in the gardens were made to look natural and blend in with the background.
We were leaving very early on Sunday morning and had paid for the local shuttle bus to pick us up,however it was not coming until after we wanted to set off and there would have been the possibility of being delayed by picking other passengers up so we had to pay extra for a private car just to get to the airport in time for our flight. The buses should allow for early flights even at the weekend. If you want a peaceful, tranquil away from it all break in a beautiful location then this is the place for you.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends