Casa Vieja Lodge
Hotel Soleil Pacifico(Puerto de San Jose)
$102
  • Breakfast included
$115
$127
$97
  • Breakfast included
$111
TripAdvisor
Cafe Del Sol Hotel(Monterrico)
Johnny's Place(Monterrico)
  • Beachfront
TripAdvisor
All reviewsgreat fishingfishing triptop notchtunafirst classthree daysblue marlinfly rodbucket listevery aspectworld class fishingover the topevery morningfrom start to finishcaptain chrisminute ridecenter console
Reviewed January 23, 2012

I spent one day and one night to research this business to bring customers of mine from the states to here. I found the place to have excellent service, excellent food and very nice accommadations. They seem to cater to mostly US clientel. I did not go fishing on their boats but did talk to some of their guest that where out for the day and they said it was a 1st class operation at sea. I will say the pool and bar area were very nice but I would not recommend this as a place to leave a wife and children while you are out fishing for 8 hours a day! This is a serious fishing camp. There are NO TV's in the rooms to entertain family members. Also the surrounding areas don't offer much in the way of shopping and eateries. Again you come here to do serious fishing!

Room Tip: A section of rooms has a disco near them...ask to be located away from the wall next to the disco.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
7  Thank GPSMike
Kristen S, Public Relations Manager at Casa Vieja Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2014

We have great news, all of our rooms are now quiet as we no longer have any noise from our neighbors. You also always have the opportunity to be chauffeured up the mountain to the colonial capital of Antigua and where there are abundance of tours from volcano helicopter tours, walking tours, and much more! We hope to have you back soon and fishing on one of our premier gameboats!

Reviewed January 22, 2012

My son and I attended the wonderful Jake Jordan sailfish school. This was our first time fishing in this area, and we understand that the fishing was slow by local standards. Still, we caught 3 sailfish each on the fly, which was great fun. The Lodge is very clean, the staff is absolutely attentive to every need you might have, and the food is very good. Did I mention the staff is great? The rooms are very comfortable. If there is one drawback, it's the feeling of being situated in a compound, which you are because of the privacy wall around the facility. No matter, the interior setting is just fine. Good value. We fished on The Intensity with Captain Mike, Ricardo and Flaco. Outstanding crew!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank fishinrascal1

Thank you for joining us in Guatemala. We are glad that the Sailfish School with Capt Jake Jordan worked well for you and your son. We hope to have you back soon to practice everything you learned!

Reviewed January 5, 2012

This place is nothing short of outstanding. The only reasons it is not perfect are that the water from the taps is not safe for consumption, the location is not scenic and not close to any activities other than the marina and the beds are hard. That said, none of us got any intestinal bugs while we were there. The grounds inside the compound are lush but outside the walls is pretty typical poor Central America. Food was incredible and they drowned you in it. Staff were incredible. They were always right at your elbow ready to cater to your requests. Antonio and Edgar run things well. I bought a fishing package which I presume is the only way to experience the lodge (and to be honest the only reason you would probably want to go anyway). Everything is included other than tips and room tax. While the expected tips seemed like a lot the literature was very clear about them and there were no surprises. We were met at the airport by Michael and driven to the lodge in a very nice van. We stopped in Antigua on the way to eat and do some sightseeing and shopping. I highly recommend the Casa Santo Domingo in Antigua for your meal. Food and service there were excellent. Michael is incredibly pleasant. Always smiling and very accomodating. I have fished in several places around the world and this was by far the best. I was there with my father, my brothers and our sons fishing for 3 days on the Rum Line and Captain Hook. I was on the Captain Hook with Captain Ron Hamlin who is a hall of fame member who has fished all over the globe. We caught over 70 sailfish all together along with some Dorado which the mates cooked on the boat. Beer, soda and water was provided on the boats as well as snacks and the lunch cooked by the mates. Captain Ron is very knowledgable and obviously loves what he does. My boys enjoyed getting to hear his stories.

There was no night life to speak of but we weren't looking for any anyway. After a long day on the water we were ready to clean up, relax a bit and enjoy the evening meal before retiring for the night and getting ready for the next day's fishing. They have wifi in the public areas and 2 computers with internet access but the wifi doesn't work well in the rooms. Not a place to go to sightsee but if your objective is a first class fishing trip this is the place. It is a notch below the Tropic Star Lodge in Panama but traveling there (Casa Vieja) is not nearly as expensive or difficult.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank FishinTime

Thank you for the helpful review, we have given the lodge a lot of TLC and although Captain Ron Hamlin retired (he sends his best) our fleet still has the Top Tagging Award-winning Captains waiting to hook you up with the big fish! We do have strong wifi throughout the lodge and are ready to meet any other needs you may have. We hope to see you and your family back in Guatemala very soon!

Reviewed March 28, 2008

I first saw Casa Vieja on a fishing show and knew right away that this was the place. Booked the trip with the US staff in Florida and they were helpful and attentive. From the time we arrived in Guatemala the Casa Vieja staff never missed a beat. Under the direction of Antonio, they were always there, always attentive without being intrusive. Great food and tons of it. Good accomodations, comfortable clean air conditioned rooms.

Amazing fishing. Our captain - Jason and the mates, Wiejo and Herbert were super. Together they showed us the ropes of big game bill fishing, we learned how and had lots of chances to practice. We caught and released a lifetime's worth of Sailfish in 3 days of fishing. 37 releases, over 50 hookups. El Capitan Jason was very generous and entertaining - sharing his exploits and knowledge of big game fishing and the considerable techniques involved.

Everything on the boat was included, cold beer, soda and water, food, fruit, etc. The mates Wiejo and Herbert were not only great fishermen, they were great cooks.They cleaned and cooked our ample catch of Dorado on the boat, simply great. Some of the best food I have ever eaten.

Personally, this was the best vacation I ever had. Worth every cent. I highly recommend Casa Vieja to anyone looking to go offshore sailfishing, and I am already planning to return.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank FishboyCharlestonSC

Thanks for the awesome comments! We hope to have you back again and hooking up even more sailfish!