“Disappointing”

Sergio's Pizza
Ranked #43 of 77 Restaurants in Barrington
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed May 23, 2009

Heard the stuffed pizza was the house specialty. Mediocore at best. Sauce was bland and not enough cheese.

1  Thank SicilianSam
tonydio, Owner at Sergio's Pizza, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2009

Sam, I'm actually at a loss here. Our sauce has been described as many things, (spicy, tangy, slightly sweet) bland has never been one of them. As far as the quantity of cheese, our sixteen inch stuffed cheese pizza weighs in at almost ten, yes 10 pounds,(I know because I ship them out to customers in Houston, Colorado.Florida etc) If that isn't enough cheese then I'm sorry. As a matter of fact I would put my stuffed pizza up against any other stuffed pizza in town. Wait, I already did that in a competition held at the high school and I believe I won first place for my stuffed pizza.
So after reading your review of Primo pizza I'd have to say you're already biased against any other pizza place, and that;s fine. I have nothing bad to say about Primo, they make a good pie over there, it's just different from ours. Feel free to come in and introduce yourself and I'll personally make you a 10" stuffed cheese pizza. As far as our sauce being bland and our cheese lacking quantity..... well that's simply not true.
Tony Dioguardi
Owner, Sergio's Pizza

There are newer reviews for Sergio's Pizza

Reviewed February 8, 2009

Our boyscott troup just a fieldtrip there. What a rip off!!!

tonydio, Owner at Sergio's Pizza, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2009

Mrs Cheeseman,

As I wrote in a prior email addressed to you if you feel you were "ripped off" you need to talk to the scout leader who scheduled the event. As far as the particulars, the kids received a hands on demonstration of how we make dough. They helped add the ingredients, they learned how each contributed to the final product and they were able to touch and feel samples of the dough at different stages in the process. They then were able to cut their own pizza dough, spread sauce on it , add cheese and an ingredient of their choice, to create their own personal pizza. We reserved an exclusive space in our dining room for them for 2 hours, we provided them with chef hats and aprons (theirs to decorate and keep) and a beverage of their choice. I'm sorry if you feel the $10 I charge for that is a "ripoff". My cost on the hat and apron is about $4.50 , the pizza and beverage, priced individually are $5.55 so the actual cost is already over the $10 I charge. If you had gone across the street to the Park District (an entity you already pay for) to rent a space, they would have charged you around $115 So considering what was provided and the fact that the kids might have actually learned something in the process, $10 seems pretty reasonable to me. (and the 200+ participants I've had over the years).
Respectfully,
Tony Dioguardi
Owner Sergios Pizza

Reviewed August 28, 2008

For the BEST and I mean the best pizza around you have to stop by this place. Hometown atmosphere with unbelievable food. Their stuffed pizza puts the chain places like Giordanos and Lou Malnati's to shame. If you're really nice they'll make you something special, like a pizza of the month they're thinking of trying out or their extra thin crust pizza, it's UNREAL. Just ask, they're very friendly there. If you ever make it past the delicious pizza try the bruschetta appetizer, simply the best. They make an awesome rolled eggplant and lasagna. They're menu is set up as a pick your pasta, pick your sauce. From cappellini to ravioli and freshly made marinara to homemade pesto. Once you've had their pesto you'll never go back to store bought again. If that doesn;t interest you head to the BBQ section. Smoked BBQ ribs, falling off the bone tender. Never braised, never boiled, just slow cooked for hours. Not just great "for a pizza place" they're great PERIOD. The BBQ Pulled pork and BBQ beef brisket are just as good. Still hungry? Try a homemade cannoli or tiramisu for dessert, you won't be dissappointed. How do I know so much? It's taken me almost three years to eat my way through their menu. There's not a lot of items, but everything they have is so good you have to try it several times before you move onto the next item.

3  Thank hungryman77