“Old time favorite, gets better with NEW owners.”

Chessie's Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 76 Restaurants in Barrington
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Chessie's Restaurant offers an outstanding menu and service. Since we opened in 1978, we have provided excellent service to our customers. We are located in the Ice House Mall in downtown, Barrington, Illinois. Chessie's Restaurant has several dining rooms; an original Illinois Railway train dining car, our pub/bar, atrium dining and our private banquet room. Plan your next special event with us!
Reviewed March 12, 2009

Haven't been to Chessie's in awhile, thought I'd give it another go because I heard it was under new owners. Not that it was ever bad it was just missing something. And I was WOWed !! Everything from the service staff, to an excellent meal. (Sweet potato crusted salmon). The new owners have done a great job, updating but not loosing the original charm of the old. Can't wait to bring back some friends for 1/2 price bottles of wine on Wednesdays. Keep up the good work :)

1  Thank n0seyneighb0r

Reviewed February 18, 2008

We have been making the rounds at our local restaurants lately and thought we would review our own hometown as well as on the road. Chessie's is a long-time favorite of ours since I moved to Barrington in 1987. It is unique. Inside this small area mall (called the Ice House 'cause it was an Ice House!) is an old train dining car you can eat in and the local train station is the bar area. The food ranges from sandwiches all the way up to steaks and seafood. We had the tenderloin bearnaise and the Barbeque ribs. Both were excellent. Crusty bread on table was really good. Fries could use some work. Quiet, congenial clientele from local upscale area. We recommend for families or a romantic evening for two. Has 3 or so different dining rooms for slightly different atmosphere. Service was average and prices are moderate.

1  Thank MommeontheGo
Reviewed December 22, 2007

We have been eating at Chessie's for over 30 year's, today was the first time we have ever been disappointed. The waitress sat us at a table in the bar area when the manager, Dan, came over and told us the table was reserved and we couldn't sit there. There was no sign. He did not offer to seat us anywhere else; we had to ask to sit at another table. After the meal, my Mother walked over to him to talk about how we had been treated. He said, “I’m the manager! Leave, and never come back." He came around the bar grabbed her arm and escorted her out of the restaurant. She was embarrassed and shocked, she is in her 70's. It's really sad to see a restaurant that we loved for so many years, change and not care about their customer's. The manager was way out of line.

1  Thank sca60010
Reviewed March 3, 2007

Cute restaurant - so long as you don't eat. It has trugged downhill for years and now is on a roll. The last time I went I started with an appetizer so bad I had to send it back. I tasted another, paid my tab and found another place to eat.

Do yourself a favor - don't eat here.

If you want a nice place - head to the Bistro. If you want casual tasty dining, try Wool Street. Just don't eat here.