“Chessie's, a step back in time”

Chessie's Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 77 Restaurants in Barrington
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Chessie's Restaurant offers an outstanding menu and service. Since we opened in 1978, we have provided excellent service to our customers. We are located in the Ice House Mall in downtown, Barrington, Illinois. Chessie's Restaurant has several dining rooms; an original Illinois Railway train dining car, our pub/bar, atrium dining and our private banquet room. Plan your next special event with us!
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Would you enjoy dining in an old rail road car? How about an upbeat pub? Or maybe an airy atrium. Well, Chessies has all three. Great food and a mix of atmospheres you just can't find anywhere else.

IceHouseMall, General Manager at Chessie's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2014

Thank you so much for visiting and taking the time to write about your experience.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

I had a good time dining here yesterday, the food was great, my granddaughter said it was one of the best cheeseburgers she has ever had! I tasted it and it was good! and she ate it without ketchup! I had the upside down pineapple cake martini, yum! all the food was great, and I love the train car seating atmosphere. lots of variety on the menu. I highly recommend.

Thank you so much for visiting us in January and taking the time to write about it.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

We are 30-year residents of Barrington and have gone through Chessie's ups and downs. Recent visits have been very enjoyable. We entertained family groups on several occasions during 2013 and found the food as good as ever, service outstanding and décor better than ever. Christmas decorations this year were once again resplendent yet tasteful. Tuesday burger specials remain a popular item because they are so delicious, and the evening dinners offer excellent variety and value. We took our family matriarch for her 92nd birthday dinner and the staff could not have been more accommodating. Hardly a train buff, the table they set up for us in the Pullman car reminded her of pleasant journeys in her salad days, and she thoroughly enjoyed herself. Need I say that train buffs will love the ambience of the former Barrington RR Station, the Pullman car, and the location near the tracks.

1  Thank William D
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I used to live in Barrington and moved to the city a few years ago. Every chance I get I try to get up and visit Chessie's, especially during the holidays when they decorate the bar area.

On a recent trip, the food quality and experience seems to have slipped a lot. As a huge French Onion Soup fanatic, I always put their FOS in the top 5 of anything I've tried across the country. This time, it was luke warm and the rich/hearty flavor was gone. I was very disappointed!!!! The French Dip sandwich was just ok, but the fries were cold and undercooked.

I was a HUGE Chessie's fan and have been there more than 100 times. However, as much as I hate to say this I'll have to think twice about going back when in Barrington. :-(

Reviewed December 10, 2013

Chessies is a part of the old ice house now the Ice House Mall. An old railroad car is attached to the restaurant which provides a different restaurant setting. The rest of the restaurant is composed of a big bar and traditional restaurant area. The service is friendly and the food generally good. They have a number of beers on tap as well as a full bar.There is a daily special and one of the best values in town is the Tuesday half price hamburger. An excellent hamburger served with fries for $5,00 ($5,50 if you want cheese). Chessies has music on Friday evenings and special events like Breakfast with Santa. Kids seem to love the old RR car.You get a little bit of the feel of how it was to ride the rails in the "old Days".