“Nice and spicy!”
Review of PL8 Restaurant

PL8 Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
PL8 Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 76 Restaurants in Barrington
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Hart Rd.
Transit: Just a few minutes away from the Barrington Train Station.
Description: The exciting, new restaurant in Barrington. The yin and yang of food and ambiance creating a whole new trend in Asian cuisine. pl8 offers a fresh, imaginative menu of classic Chinese cuisine side by side with Japanese kitchen creations and sushi. pl8 is where you will find a chic city restaurant located in the suburbs. Where you'll find superd et unpretentious service. A menu that is sweet and savory. Classic dished with a smart twist that are 'simply Asian'. We can't wait for you to experience the best of Asian cuisine coming together on one pl8.
Reviewed March 4, 2014

PL8 is one of our favorite area restaurants! Many of the dishes are a bit spicy so proceed with caution, and the décor is original and fun! They accept reservations through OpenTable and have a wide variety of dishes - from sushi and specialty rolls to soups and traditional/non-traditional Asian fare. An unusual bar and unique cocktails round out the atmosphere - try the Crab Rangoon Chopsticks appetizer!

Reviewed February 23, 2014

Inventive rolls, best non-greasy Pad Thai we've ever had, innovative specials change frequently. Great service, good ambiance.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

My wife and I went here for Valentine's Day, and it was great. We had reservations and were immediately seated upon arrival. Our waiter was very informed about the menu and was able to steer us toward some truly excellent dishes.

We ordered spicy fish and a Hunan chicken. Both dishes were excellent and both had some good heat to them. Trust your server if you are told about the heat. I like spicy food and was glad that our server gave us some good advice.

Great service and an excellent staff. A must dine here place in my book.

Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

This was my first time visiting the restaurant. I picked up a take out order for my family on new years eve. While I waited for my order I observed the restaurant and it looked like a great place to eat with an upscale atmosphere. I ordered some nigiri and a couple maki rolls. I thought that some of the raw fish was a little fishy tasting like it wasnt fresh. The rolls were tasty by nothing to rave about. I have tried numerous sushi places and I would say this place was average. This place also offers other asian food other than sushi but I didnt try it so I cant speak for it.

1  Thank Jeff D
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Besides the interesting flavors with the many selections offered this review will also be interestingly divided on PL8. First of all we definitely enjoyed our dinner selections. Our waitstaff was knowledgeable about recommending starters and main courses since this was our first visit. We decided on potstickers and the hot and sour soup to begin (shared). The potstickers with freshly shaved ginger and wasabi on the side were excellent; the soup just OK. Next we shared a crunchy lobster roll. Beautiful presentation, absolutely a palate pleaser, tasty side sauces and ample portion! The crunch came from the fresh vegetables wrapped in lobster and rice sushi style. Main course selections were the Signature Seven Flavor Chicken and the Thai Basil Shrimp. Both had excellent flavors, were served at correct hot temperature, came with a big bowl of steamed rice and after the appetizers were too large of portions to finish. That did not deter dessert however--a pear strudel! Tasty, but heavy on the cake part without enough pear or strudel texture in our opinion. We wouldn't do it again.

Now the negative to an otherwise excellent meal. We ordered a bottle of South Africa Graham Sauvignon Blanc. Our waiter brought the wine to the table and proceeded to struggle with the foil cutting and cork popping. No presentation, no pour to taste, just apologies for a bad opener and then popped the bottle into the chiller and was gone. Now a personal pet peeve to an apparent indifferent waitstaff in restaurants today--no attending the bottle! This is maybe a forgivable sin if the restaurant is swamped; otherwise poor service if it is not. Imagine our surprise when we pulled out the bottle from the chiller to serve ourselves after waiting for a pour to find that the wine was NOT what we ordered. (One of the party had suspected this, but wasn't absolutely sure until the label was read)! Jeesh. The wine substitute was a downgrade at that!

This is the part that can make or break a good or a great dinner. A correct replacement was offered with blame put on whomever pulled the bottle and "sorry I forgot to look" (or present or pour a taste it seems!). But anyway thanks, for the offer that wasn't taken. There was no follow up with kind apologies from the management which rather surprised us. The bill was adjusted. And we suppose that since the wine prices were quite reasonable who really cares if it was a Bogle Chardonnay instead of a South Africa Sauvignon Blanc?!! An excellent restaurant probably would care and react!

So: good food, reasonable prices, quasi-attentive staff/management, cool atmosphere. We will return, but maybe be a little less forgiving on the service latitude and do more coaching to improve on an evening of complete dining pleasure.

1  Thank Cam8880