“Perfect!”

Barrington House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Barrington B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stayed five nights over the July 4 weekend. The location is great for being in the middle of Barrington, and yet on a quiet street. The house is immaculate and wonderfully decorated and maintained. Marty and Mary are the perfect hosts--there for nice and friendly help and conversation at the right times, and out of sight at the right times--they have a great sense of when to be your favorite hosts, and when to make you feel that you have the house privately to yourself. Rooms and common areas are comfortable, well laid out, roomy, and completely clean. Everything was as if you had employed the world's best interior decorator and architect--even the private parking lot. Our daughter's family was unable to provide us their own house's guest bedroom (due to wet carpets from heavy rains) and found this place for us. She was justifiably worried that if this B&B was too nice, we would not want to stay in her house again. She told Mary not to make our stay too nice, but it didn't work. Warning: Barrington House B&B is so perfect that you will never be satisfied with any other B&B (or hotel or B&B) again. This place will spoil you. Not only were the breakfasts delicious and varied (something different every day) and served anytime in the morning to fit our convenience, but the pantry was open for guests 24/7--so I could come in at night and get my nightly cereal and milk just like my habits at home. I cannot recommend this place highly enough. My wife and I have traveled over much of the world and stayed in all kinds of places. I am hard pressed to think of anywhere better than this one. You might well want to stay at a place on a Caribbean beach, or a Norwegian fjord, or a short walk to a French patisserie, or on a small cruise ship watching whales off the Alaska coast (we've done all these things and lots more)--but Barrington is not half bad, and as far as the house itself, the hosts, and being a place that meets every wish for a perfect B&B, this place is it!

Room Tip: I've already forgotten the name or number or our upstairs room on a corner, but it was roomy, ha...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank David K
There are newer reviews for Barrington House Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Barrington House is immaculate. It's obvious paint is touched up regularly, thorough cleaning occurs daily and that every conceivable amenity has been considered. The breakfast was delectable and you couldn't ask for a more hospitable experience.

Our group of 9 rented the entire house for two days and everyone was pleased-- no small feat for a group that size. Mary and Marty are the best! Couldn't recommend more highly.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Melissa S
Reviewed June 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Barrington House Bed and Breakfast on our wedding night, May 11th, 2013. We were so happy we chose the B&B, it was our first time staying at one! The vibe is comforting and warm, the home was very private and beautiful (Great for taking pictures). The owners went above and beyond to cater and supply their guests with anything they could possibly need. We are so glad we chose to stay somewhere unique with a delicious breakfast surrounded by flowering trees. After we were done with our breakfast our friends from out of town came down and joined us. It was a great setting and our wedding night/morning after will always be memorable due to our stay at the B&B. We highly recommend it!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lindseymeyer
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We had a fabulous stay with Marty and Mary. The house is beautifully furnished, a pantry provides all you could wish for if feeling thirsty or in need of a snack. Breakfast provided us with a lovely selection which included a blueberry cake, which was so light and tasty. Pat and John Kissock

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 3, 2013

My husband and I were taking a class in the area and chose to stay here for the weekend due to lack of hotels in the area. We do not usually frequent B&Bs, so our comparisons are few. Even so, I would choose a place like this over a 5-star hotel any day. I wish B&Bs just like this one existed in every place we choose to visit. I will definitely consider B&Bs more often in the future due to the wonderful experience we had here. It was beautiful, very very clean (IMACULATE from the lawns to the baseboards), comfortable, and everything we could need they provided. Late night tea and coffee was available, juices and sodas, extra toiletries, free wifi, clean towels every day, private bath, humongous bed! I could go on. Breakfast was pretty much made to order. Fresh baked pastries and coffee served along with it. Mary and Marty, the inn-keepers(?) BB-keepers(?) we're so friendly. We really felt right at home.

It was within walking distance to restaurants in Barrington, we chose to drive anyway, and did not have too much trouble finding several places that suited out tastes. We found a 10:30pm meal at an Irish Pub, McGonigals, which had really good corned beef.

Overall the experience was wonderful, both Barrington and this B&B made our stay fantastic.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Margaret A
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed at the Barrington House back in January while in town for business. It's quite a large "house" and not what I was expecting (in a good way). I don't normally stay at B&B's when I travel (as you can see by my other reviews) so I guess I was expecting a little house.

The property was very nice and well maintained. The two owners are extremely nice and helpful. When I was there, there weren't too many people staying in the house which is expected given it's January in Chicago. It was obviously quiet but I never felt that I had to be on tiptoes.

The room I was on the second floor near the stairs. Very nice corner room. Lots of room and well maintained. Everything is extremely tidy and clean. The room also seems to be well insulated from noise although like I mentioned there weren't many people there.

Breakfast's are really good and essentially made to order. Never felt rushed nor waited on too much if that makes sense.

The B&B is conveniently located in walking distance to the main street in Barrington and just a couple of blocks from the train station where I was able to take the train to downtown Chicago and back.

Overall a very nice B&B. I can imagine it would be even better in the summer when the weather is better.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I arrived in a snow storm and was quickly ushered in by Mary into the warm and was soon in my room, Crestview, that catered for all my whims. A wonderfully comfortable bed in a superbly furnished room that is as good as I've ever had. Breakfast, for me began with a serial, fresh fruit and a freshly cooked omelette, bacon and toast, tea or coffee ad lib. At any other time of day I was able to help myself from water, fruit juices or tea& coffee from the kitchen.
No complaints here at all. Mary & Marty are very happy to talk and share time with me, a very nice touch especially when you are travelling on your own.

Room Tip: I believe any room would be excellent but just ask and you will get a truthfull answer.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Smashy27
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barrington
Americas Best Value Inn Barrington
Hilton Garden Inn Hoffman Estates
Hampton Inn and Suites Chicago Deer Park
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Chicago Hoffman Estates
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lake Zurich-Barrington
Days Inn & Suites Arlington Heights
Days Inn & Suites Arlington Heig...
#3 of 10 in Arlington Heights

Been to Barrington House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!