“Great Atmosphere”

Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I like it more for atmosphere and service than the food. Food is good, but I'd rate it pretty 'average'. Good selection of beer including their own brews which are quite good. Family friendly and good for going with larger groups. Great patio in the summer.

Reviewed December 23, 2012

A great local brewpub and highly recommended. Good food and even better beer. They had a good bourbon barrel ale. The inside is very well decorated, with hand carved paneling and 1920's French absinthe posters.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

I really think the Onion's beer is great, especially the IPA. Was there very recently for there Pumpkin Ale and it was also outstanding. Have tried almost everything on the menu over the years and have always walked out of the Onion full and satisfied. I used to go there quite frequently when my boys played hockey down the street and kind of forgot about it as it's a bit of the beaten track. Went back last month in October and was very pleased that I did. I will return more frequently in the future.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

We were introduced to this place because they have their own brewery, and a representative was doing a tasting at a local liquor store. He suggested we stop in to the restaurant to have a beer, and we ended up finding the place where we held our reception. Brewery, restaurant, and banquet hall, all very nice, will hold small and large groups, and beer is tapped directly into the bar taps. Service was outstanding for both quick dinner visits, and working with the staff to coordinate our reception. We were able to do a brewery tour and beer sampling during the reception as well. Also, great value especially since they didn't charge to just rent the facility, the price included the rental of the hall unlike most places in Lake County, IL.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Everyone I know says the same thing...this place has such potential but just never does it... The restaurant and patio are very nice. So I always wish the food would test better. I think the only time it was good was when it first opened.

1  Thank DMS23