“Just fair”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Was there on that Cinco holiday and it was terrific although expensive for a Mexican restaurant.
Tried again the following week. Service was terrible. (My waiter had to make the drinks, guacamole, as well as serve). The carne was not as good this time and they did not have anymore strawberry mix for the margaritas. We won't go back. We prefer Tres Harmanos in Highwood for a lot less money

Reviewed March 22, 2014

the restaurant have a very goooddd service in the past< but not any more. I have a very bad experience, servers are really unhappy faces!!sorry but that's my opinion...

Reviewed December 22, 2013

We have been coming here on and off for years. Right now, we are off because they are off. Off their game!

The guacamole here is really good. They used to make it table side from a cart...but no more. While the guacamole is still good the serving size is really small and it's $10 per order! Super expensive for the size of the portion - not enough for a family of four. We asked for it medium spicy but I don't think there was any spice at in it. It was super mild.

For dinner on our most recent visit I had the scallop fajitas. They were okay but really expensive for what they were. Our daughter had the tropical bites, they came out cold. They wanted to microwave them to reheat them. Microwaved grilled calamari and scallops - yuck! We said no no no. They took them back and put them back on the grill top. Who does that? Why wouldn't they make a fresh one? While it was better than being cold, it certainly wasn't good or worth the price. The son had the molcajete, with steak which was probably the best dish on our table.

On our last visit the service was atrocious. It took forever to place our order and two eternities to actually get it. Then as mentioned above, one dish was delivered cold and then the problem not taken care of appropriately.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

I had a reservation for this restaurant tonight at early - before 6. There was no host when we arrived, but we were seated by a runner. After 15 minutes of no waiter, my wife went to find someone. A server said that they were short staffed and it would be 20 minutes before he could get to us. The restaurant was not full! It is not reasonable to be seated for that long and not even have a server acknowledge us or offer to get drinks.

After another few minutes we went up to the server again and this time we convinced to come help us, even though, as he pointed out multiple times, he is "not our server." He then added We are short staffed - it's not our fault, it's not your fault!" Really?

When we came to the table the first thing that he told us was that they had no guacamole. Considering we were there to use an expiring promo that includes guacamole for 2 (and they promote their tableside guac) we were disappointed and the other replacement items that he offered were not of our liking. We got up and left.

This restaurant does not appear ready for "prime time." The service was slow at best and rude at worst. And at 6:00 they had already run out of their most popular appetizer.

Having recently moved to the area, we were excited how close it is to our house. The server told us that Bill (the owner) would call us but he never did. I tried calling him and he is never there

2  Thank BuzzBuzzard
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Went here for lunch to see a friend. The atmosphere is okay but for the prices, I thought the lunches were nothing special.

Had the #1 Combination Lunch special and in comparing it with other Mexican restaurants, I would say it was VERY mediocre taste wise and very HIGH-PRICED for what you got. The salsa that they brought out with the chips was not good at all. You would be better off going to a different place.

Service was ok. Comparing it to a chain restaurant like On the Border in Vernon Hills, I would say go to On the Border - so much more for your money AND the salsa is great.

As for stopping again at San Gabriel, I'll keep driving.