“Grab a room elsewhere!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Great Guana Cay
Grabbers Bed, Bar & Grill
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Great Guana Cay
Reviewed November 22, 2008

Overall, I'd say the accommodations were great, if not for the fact that the manager was not amply prepared for our arrival, a reservation which had been made 2 months prior. Had he remained in touch either via email or telephone, the information would have been at his disposal (flight arrangements, time to meet ferry on date of arrival, etc.) As such, we found the efficiency room -- though clean and comfortable -- was not appropriately prepared prior to our arrival. The traveler SHOULD be prepared to know that it's NOT the Marriott, yet surely after a long weary day of travel (which anyone traveling to the Abacos does expect), a little more effort could have been displayed toward arriving guests to help them settle in better. Something I hope will be corrected in the future.

As I say, these minor details were handled once we got better established. The major one, however, required a bit more stamina of guests exposed to the overall behavior and attitude of the manager in charge. When he wasn't drinking (should I say, drunk), he was usually aloof and arrogant -- acting "put out" most of the time when being addressed even casually with no further requests. When he WAS drinking (pretty much from 10:00 a.m. on), the aloof attitude escalated to belligerent and offensive. His behavior was that of a reluctant innkeeper with no people skills. If not for his wife or the assistant manager, as well as the exceptionally wonderful wait staff and bar attendants making up for this offensive attitude, our party would have no doubt found other accommodations if any were to be found -- difficult on such a small island as Guana during the beginning (start up) of the season when little is offered at the time. Given we were adults and able to better digest such abhorrent behavior by turning a blind eye to this outrageous display or belligerence, we managed pretty well, albeit occasionally put out when overhearing the manager in question belittle his staff publicly over minor details pertaining to a guest or bar patron (reprimanding a worker in public to me is UNACCEPTABLE and UNPROFESSIONAL, especially when the worker is going above and beyond his call of duty to treat a patron well).

In general, I feel that if you are a family with younger children or possess a sense of high moral, ethical and politically correct standards. this is not the place for you -- the behavior of this manager can be a bit rough and shocking at times. Maybe, as the saying goes, Guana ISN'T for the "faint hearted" but anyone managing an establishment dealing with serving the public is expected to behave in a REASONABLE fashion regardless of the location of the establishment.

Grabbers Bed Bar and Grill is truly a lovely spot -- very romantic to those seeking solitude and the prettiest of sunsets, and most conveniently located to the Settlement of Guana. I cannot express enough how the staff went above and beyond their ability to make up for the behavior of this offensive individual, as they too were embarrassed and put off by his treatment of guests -- they should all be commended for their outstanding treatment of everyone under such dire circumstances! We were very impressed to say the least! And although their exemplary courtesy and cordial attitudes somewhat cancelled out the manager's gruff and offensive demeanor, I think in the future I'd be more inclined to spend my money elsewhere in order to be less aggravated and offended or embarrassed during my next visit to Guana. The manager's behavior NEEDS to be addressed in order to ensure future success of this establishment.

Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 5, 2008

We stayed at Grabbers on Guana Cay in November of 2006. This was our 7th time staying on this island and stayed at this property 3 other times when it was called Guana Beach Resort. It is still the best spot on the island. The sunsets are spectacular and the setting is outstanding, as you will see in the pictures I post. Under the new management part of the old property has been totally redone. The rooms are comfortable and the food at the restaurant is the best on the island. If your serious about wanting to get away from it all and having one of the most beautiful beaches in the world to yourself this is the island for you. We are planning to vacation here again in November of this year.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 29, 2007

Needed a room quickly. Grabbers was the place. Few rooms available. We had a 2bdrm, 1 bath - partial kitchen. Not knowing what to expect we arrived and were pleasantly surprised. Was a great place to spend the weekend. Although the rooms were decorated nicely, they lacked comfort. We were not looking for the Ritz, however, a comfy sofa would have been nice to relax on in the late afternoon for a short snooze before dinner. Spent each night taking in the breathtaking sunset and watching the stars. At the bar, watch the Grabber drink!!!! As for dining, the food was better here than in Nassau - No Kidding. Specials each night of weekend, great Calamari and open long hours.

Easy walk to Nippers, snorkeling the reef, Guana Dive and a bake shop. Grocery and Booze on island also.

They need more pics on their website of the facilities.

Very casual. Don't Worry, Be Happy!

Will book again.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
GrabbersSteve, an owner at Grabbers Bed, Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2008

Friends, Just read your review and as one of the owners, I want to thank you so much. In the last year, my partners and I have devoted a lot of time and $ to creating what we hope is a great Guana experiance. I will pass on your review to my manger and partners. I also agree that the couches are anything but comfortable: we are working on it. I hope you will return soon. Thanks....Steve

Also consider these accommodations in or near Great Guana Cay
Oceanfrontier Hideaway
Oceanfrontier Hideaway
#2 of 5 in Great Guana Cay
Bluff House Beach Resort & Marina
Bluff House Beach Resort & Marin...
#1 of 2 in Green Turtle Cay
Treasure Cay Beach, Marina & Golf Resort
Abaco Beach Resort and Boat Harbour Marina

Been to Grabbers Bed, Bar & Grill? Share your experiences!