“Wish we had more time”
Review of Lookout Pass

Ranked #10 of 16 things to do in Wallace
More attraction details
Owner description: Scenic drive through the mountains between Idaho and Montana.
Plainview, Illinois
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Wish we had more time”
Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

We made a quick trip to Lookout Pass. We were intrigued by it being on Idaho Montana state line. Gorgeous mountain and views. Kind of fun to purchase a snack in Idaho and eat it in Montana. Wish we would have had time to try skiing.

1 Thank GertieRN

Thompson Falls
65 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Good local ski hill”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Lookout Pass Ski Area is where many locals learned to ski. It has three lifts that serve several runs from beginners to expert. The front side is the Idaho side and has some challenging runs (Bonanza is my favorite). The backside is the Montana side and has one good blue cruiser (Rainbow Ridge) and two blues that have some challenges near the base. The newest runs (Red Dog and Marmot) go down towards the North side and is a high level Blue. The lifts are not high speed but run at a decent pace. The chalet is very friendly and has good food.
This is a fun hill with not that many people.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank Raymond M
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Great ski area”
Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

can not find a better, affordable ski area any where. Good mix of runs, nice lodge and great powder.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Idahoscud
Conroe, Texas
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Hiawatha Trail is Truly the Holy Grail of Scenic Biking Trails”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Traveling with our two daughters from Texas in our RV. Late spring visit. May 31.

First of all don't expect much in the way of signage or customer service when you find the trail or lodge. I had to call for directions and I had printed off the website details before trying to find out where I was supposed to be.

The lodge is kind of run down and the folks inside (with a couple of exceptions) aren't too excited that you are there - and we were the only ones there! Wow - how do you handle a crowd?

Biking folks are better than the restaurant / gift shop folks at noticing customers, but it still is not a convincingly genuine welcome.

Bring your own food for the trail and you will be better off. Angus burger is a joke in the lodge and the grilled chicken is just a frozen treat.

Worst failing of the "lodge" is the lack of any interesting or quality merchandise. A pin or two, some cheap bags, a few bad T shirts in errant sizes - this is really a pathetic gift shop and that is at the START of the season. What a lost revenue opportunity!

The boys in the lodge might be a few sandwiches short of a picnic since no one even wanted to take an offer on giving us a ride back (what they normally do but on weekends only, until mid June when they are in full swing). Since we were there on a Thursday - there was no shuttle service. WOW guys you turned down the 50 to 100 bucks I would have been willing to pay to be picked up at the end of the trail and instead made me and my young family (7 and 9 year old girls) ride 10 miles down and 10 miles back up the trail to get back (the recommended shortened version). Did not even attempt to be interested in making 3 or 4 times as much as sitting in the lodge 'on the clock". Didn't even allow the offer!!! STUPID.

So we spent 7 hours getting down the trail and back! Thanks - put us right at the limit of collapse for our two girls. Would have been great to bike down (1.7% declining grade on the way down - supposed to get picked up at the end - yes that would have been great but instead we had to pedal back - not too tough unless you are a little kid). Survived in tact thanks to lots of snacks and stretch breaks and my wife - and some tough Texas girls. I wouldn't try it otherwise.
Now on to the trail - One of the most memorable times with my family in recent memory. Great trail. Exciting views and excellent historical markers and info. Tunnels were fascinating! Views were stupendous!

Thanks to whom ever put this together and maintains it.

Get some better lodge staff and real merchandise - you could have made $150 on my family if you put the gift shop at the end of the trail and had real merchandise and staff that cared.

Woops!?

Hints: Water, jacket (it gets hot and very cold a couple of times in the same day), snacks, food, sunglasses, sunscreen and a good headlight is manditory.

Visited May 2013
4 Thank 1BVISailor
Coeur dAlene, Idaho
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great for the little ones.”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Their rates are the most competitive, and the snow was nice. I took my grandkids, 4 & 6. They had a good time. Compared to high speed quads, it's a let down, otherwise it's a winner.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank skypilot7

Been to Lookout Pass? Share your experiences!