Review Highlights
Definitely a fun experience!

This is a half-day ride, unless you pack along a picnic and stop along the way. Wear washable... read more

Midwestadvocate
Saint Louis, Missouri
Hiawatha Trail Bike Ride

Richard A
via mobile

All reviews easy ride east portal mile tunnel great ride long tunnel lookout pass shuttle bus taft tunnel all ages down hill bring your own bike rack rented bikes downhill ride hiawatha trail gravel road beautiful scenery
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

My wife and I made the long drive from southern to northern Idaho to fulfill a long held desire to ride this trail. It was everything and more than we'd expected. We drove the distance in 2 legs. Our first stop was in Missoula, Montana to rest up after a long drive. The 2nd leg took us to Wallace, Idaho, our home base. We were able to spend the day in Wallace, sightseeing and checking out the shops and restaurants. The 3rd day we hit the trail. Passes, bikes, and lights are available at Lookout Pass (5 miles from bike trail exit). It's probably a good idea to reserve these online in advance. We took our own bikes, which was probably a good idea since we saw a couple of people with bike problems along the trail. The trail starts with the longest tunnel ride offered. It's dark, cool, and wet so dress appropriately. Once out of the tunnel you will be treated to a beautiful forested area and waterfall. The trail continues with majestic views over former train trestles, more tunnels, and lots of forest. Along the way, there are a number of stops with information boards and places to rest, as well as a couple of bathrooms. We are really glad we took this trip. We are already talking to our grandkids about making a trip in 2020.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Was a great scenic ride through the mountains, the tunnels and trusses were amazing. The ride is easy and family-friendly.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Wow. . . . . what can I tell you about this. This is something you need to experience first hand! We had wanted to ride the Route of the Hiawatha ever since hearing about it four years ago. This year we were able to go and it did not disappoint! My husband and I are planning to go back soon to do it again. It is breath taking and such an enjoyable ride in some of God's most beautiful scenery! Let me tell you a few things we learned that might be helpful. We rode the Hiawatha the end of August. We got to the trailheald by 9:00 and the morning air was crisp but not uncomfortably cold. I was glad we went earlier because when we finished the trail about 1:30 it was getting pretty warm. We had heard many stories about the tunnel being too dark, too cold, too muddy, ect. However, we were prepared and expeienced none of that. We rented mountain bikes from Lookout Pass, and I would recommend doing that. The bikes do get dirty and I prefer to let thier bikes get the sprockets muddy rather than my own. As far as cold. . . if you dress in a couple of layers it was not problem. The tunnels are cool but not bad if dressed appropriately. You can take layers off during the ride and store them in a backpack. The temperature varies a lot on the trail. As far as lighting. . . if you have a minimun of 300 lumen bike lamp and head lamp you will have no problem at all seeing. Infact, you will light up the tunnel all around you! As far as getting muddy. . . . if you race through the tunnel you will flip up dirt!! I recommend taking the passage through the Taft tunnel at a slower speed as to enjoy what you are doing. The tunnel has many interesting points of interest and beauty in itself that many people miss because all they want to do is ride fast through the tunnel to get through. If dressed appropriately and proper lighting, the tunnel is an amazing experience!! Don't miss out on that part of the ride. Also, you dont have problems with mud on you either. The trail itself was breathtaking. We saw many wildlife along the way that didnt even act like you were there, so we were able to take many pictures of them. Stop occassionally and enjoy the spectacular scenery as well. This is not an endurance ride, this is a very easy, emjoy the beautiful gifts of nature ride. We opted to take to the 30 min shuttle back up to the top. Keep in mind that it will be a full day if you choose to ride the 16 mile trail all back up hill. You need to be conditioned well to do that in my opinion. I cant say enough about this experience and look forward to going and riding it again soon . . . . . hopefully with grandchildren next time!

Date of experience: August 2019
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Went late September and had a mix of weather from sun to cold rain showers. Bikes are ok but nothing special. Bring your own helmet. Their lights are adequate.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Beautiful ride down the mountain. The tunnels are very dark but very cool. The RXR trestles are amazing. Best views ever!