“Best Burger Ever Period”

The Brakeman American Grill
Ranked #1 of 28 Restaurants in Victor
Cuisines: American
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Description: The Brakeman American Grill is Victor's family friendly spot for the BEST Burgers, Sandwiches and delicious Salads. It's all about FRESH at The Brakeman. We grind our beef daily right on site and add our own special seasonings, fresh vegetables and a delicious sourdough bun to create the BEST Burger. Our fresh cut Idaho Fries are a terrific treat and accompany all Burgers and Sandwiches. The Brakeman serves freshly brewed Sun Tea, Fair Trade Organic coffee,sodas and a variety of local and regional beers and wines. The Brakeman is open for lunch and dinner.
“Best Burger Ever Period”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

As soon as you walk in, you KNOW it's gonna be good.
Best burger & fries on the planet.
worth the trek over the pass from Jackson Hole!

“Great consistent food, period.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2012

Excellent burgers for sure, but also the best philly cheese steak around. This family owned business has very friendly owners and staff and the food is consistently delicious! Not a lot of seating here, so difficult to serve large parties together.

• Visited December 2011
Fort Worth, Texas
“Best burger and fries we had on our trip to Jackson Hole!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2011

Our trip to the Brakeman started with a simple goal on a visit from Texas: try to go to as many states as our age. This was easily accomplished by driving over the beautiful pass from Jackson (+1 for Wyoming) to Idaho (+1). We figured that if we're in Idaho we should probably have some potato based product, so it was simple: we would get French Fries.

After lunch at the Brakeman, we were very happy we made the trip over! Our visit started by being impressed with the decor and cleanliness of the restaurant. The meal was delicious. In addition to having an outstanding burger and amazing hand-cut fries made from the now confirmed best potatoes in the country, Patty and Joe (owners) were extremely friendly and responsive.

We saw some regulars heading out after we sat down, and Patty asked "How was everything?". One responded "Great- that's why we keep coming back". We felt the same way, and will be back as soon as we can get there.

• Visited September 2011
Utah, USA
“A chef with pride”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

Who knew, Victor, Idaho a town of 1,800 residents would have such a great burger joint! The restaurant is small but very clean and welcoming. My husband and I went to The Brakeman with three friends after a long and tiring bike race for some much needed calories. The menu mostly consisted of burgers but there were also salads, BLT's and chicken to choose from. Two of us ordered the 'Union Pacific', a bleu cheese burger - both of us thought it was the best bleu cheese burger we'd had. One ordered the 'junior' because his appetite hadn't quite returned yet after the race, my husband ordered the 'crazy station master' which was so large we didn't know how he would get his mouth around it and the last in our group ordered the 'Southern Pacific'. All of us were VERY pleased with our burgers and the accompanying fries were fantastic! Thin sliced, fresh fried and seasoned with a secret dust that was to die for. I polled all who ate in our group and we got 4 five stars and one 4 stars (he likes a little softer bun).

• Visited September 2011
Driggs, Idaho
“Trains and Burgers... a natural combination”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2011

The railroad theme has plenty of potential and it will be fun to watch it develop over the years. You might not realize, until you read the notes and look at the old photos on the menu at Brakeman, that the railroad was once a vital part of early Victor's existence. The theme is well chosen and a visit there is educational. But this is a restaurant, not a museum, so that wouldn't matter a bit if the burgers weren't amazing, and they are. Thick. Moist. Almost as good as mine!

A competitive streak in me can't help but compare these beauties to the ones I cook out on my own grill. My own might be a little better, but that's hardly an objective judgement. Mine are cooked to order and so are theirs. I don't remember being asked if I wanted my burger at Brakeman cooked well or medium or rare like I do when I grill for people, but somehow it came to the table just right anyway. How did he know? And when it comes to creative use of extras on the burgers, Brakeman has me completely beaten. I can't wait to go back again to try another creation. Other than a grilled cheese sandwich, I didn't notice anything but burgers and on the menu, but who cares? Burgers are all you need to notice there. Oh yeah, and the fries, hand cut and delicious. Notice those too.

By the way, my vegetarian daughter tried Brakeman's veggie burger and reports "it was the best veggie burger I've ever had in my life. No contest." Coke products to drink.

Comparison of Brakeman to any other burgers around (besides mine) is just about impossible. Nothing compares. Tony's in Driggs has an excellent burger, but not all the different kinds that Brakeman has. O'Rourke's has those cool little sliders you can eat by the hand full, but the choice is pretty much cheese or no cheese. I'm trying not to even mention the burger chain place on the edge of town. No comparison there.

The service is friendly, attentive, and you'll dine with both locals and fellow travelers. If you look up "American Grill" in the dictionary, you'll find a picture of Brakeman.

• Visited August 2011