“Great place to stay....Great place to ski”
Review of Sun Valley Lodge

Sun Valley Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Sun Valley
Reviewed January 17, 2011

First off....Disregard any negative commentary about this resort......Yes...the lodge is old... it's not chic or urban sophisticated....but that's not what it's about.....if you want something a little more modern stay at the Sun Valley Inn....Both are very nice. I stayed for 9 days.....and right off the bat I was impressed........even though I got the discounted (early january) rate of $119 a night....they upgraded my room ....to a room with a patio balcony overlooking the pool and with mountain views......It was room 207....right next to Hemmingway's old room...206......All I did was call and ask...beforehand.......This place will bend over backwards to cater to all your needs........if you ask.....The plumbing fixtures are old....but it was the best water pressure in a shower I've ever had.....Gretchens for breakfast was above board....and dinner and drinks with some jazz at Duchin's is always good and reasonably priced ......No need for a car rental....the buses run very frequently during the day to Dollar....Downtown.....River Run....Warm Springs...and Elkhorn......I will say if your in any of these places after 8:00 pm ...you might have to wait 30 mins for the next bus......The Mountains and lift lines were empty....I did not wait for anything.......If you want to go to a restaurant in Ketchum before 4 p.m. you might be challenged......but not at Sun Valley Resort.........If you need to rent Ski's go to Sturtevants in Ketchum or Warm Springs......right near the bus stop......at both places.....All in All one of the best vacations I've had in years....hope to return soon

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 20, 2010

We stayed 2 nights in the lodge for our annual ski trip to Sun Valley. In past stays we have been in the Inn wich is also a great property. This time we splurged a litte and moved over to the lodge. Remembering that is was built in 1936, the rooms and bathrooms can be small, but for us it added to the charm. The beds and linens are top notch. The service was impeccable - even dropped my ski hat and gloves when I was checking out and they tracked us down outside to bring them to us. Valet parking is free.

The pool areas are nice, bowling alley fun and the food is very good with lots of options from upscale to casual. Everyone is very friendly and happy. Decorations for the holidays make it that much more special.

Overall it is a great place to vacation and relax with a little bit of pampering.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 16, 2010

Since retiring we have spent hundreds of nights in hotels from budget lodgings to five star resorts, but our favorite place on earth is still the Sun Valley Lodge. There is simply no place that is more perfect. It is a magnificent and historic property nestled in magnificent mountains with carefully landscaped and spacious grounds. The hotel has the feeling of "old money". It is exceptionally luxurious without being showy or trendy. One feels the substantial weight of history while still enjoying every modern convenience.

From the ironed linen and down comforters, to the heavy towels and crystal drinking glasses, to the tasteful arrangement of every element in the room this property is designed to sooth the soul.

There is nothing that I do not love about this fantastic property. I love the decor. I love the furniture. I love the massive and welcoming lobby. I love the uniformed and professional hotel staff, and the occasionally charming European accent. I love the amazing floral displays in the lobby.

I love the rooms with deep carpets, marble bathrooms, endless hot water, magnificent decor, turn-down service with yummy chocolates. There is simply nothing more this hotel can do to please a guest.

I also indulge in room service, which is always swift, hot and delicious. The hotel restaurants are so good that we often dine in them even if we are not able to get rooms in the Lodge. Sunday brunch is the best of its kind in the US and Europe. Not only can you gaze at celebrities while enjoying your mimosa, but the hand-made omelets and delicious crepes meet traditional breakfast needs while smoked salmon and exotic concoctions appeal to the adventurous appetite.

The property supplies every amenity any guest would wish from spa services, ski lift tickets, magnificent heated swimming pools with pool side service, even in the snow. Tennis courts, ice skating rink, bike paths, hiking and walking trails....one need never be bored here.

Finally the property would not be the same were it not for the exceptionally professional nature of the staff. From desk clerk to waiter to bell boy to maid, every single person appears professional and greets each guest with a genuine and sincere welcome. Over the years I have had some unusual requests, and they have never failed to satisfy them.

Sun Valley Lodge - my favorite place on earth. It does not get better than this!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 15, 2010

Stayed in one bedroom room in a condominium area at Sun Valley Lodge. When we asked for ice for our room (meant for glasses of water) we got a trash bag full of ice. When we tried to order room service, we were told we could order on phone and come to lodge to pick up. Asked for extra towels several times before we got them. Room was adequate, but not large. Bathroom was very large. If I stayed here again, I would never stay anywhere but main lodge. Everything inside the lodge was very nice and there were many activities on the property.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2010

The lodge has a lot of amenities but the walls are paper thin - we could hear coughing, flushing of toilets and a loud tv during the night. The door let in the bright hallway light at all times. The staff is friendly and helpful and we enjoyed the Sunday brunch. It must have been grand in the 1940s.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2010

We have stayed at the Lodge or Inn multiple times over the years. Sadly, the experience has deteriorated. The area still has the old elegant cache and it is a delight to wander the halls looking at old pictures. The staff is numerous, friendly and helpful, but the accomodations are lacking. On the first night we were situated over a bar and awoken to the sound of loud drum music at midnight. First call to the desk we were routed to a night watchman. Second call received sympathy, but no solution. We moved the second day to a room where the t.v. did not work and finally to a third room. The doors do not fit, thus letting lots of light and noise from the hallway. Bed linens are comfy. Carpets old and worn. The golf course has a beautiful clubhouse, but the course maintenance needs some work. I would suggest cheaper and newer places to stay and just visit the lodge.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 20, 2010

Wonderful location, accomodations, amenities and opportunities. The Sun Valley Resort is beautifully situated and offers great activities for the family. There are numerous opportunities on site - three pools; bowling alley; ice skating rink; movie theatere; candy store (the boys favorite); tennis courts and a short walk to one of the best outdoor symphonic venues for a series of free summer performances.

Off property, there are plenty of additional outdoor opportunities. Fishing, numerous bike trails, golf and even trap shooting. There are oher lodgig options in the valley
but the Sun Valley Lodge (especially when you book early) is very competitive and even beats the pricing at other properties.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Tamarack Lodge
#5 of 10 in Ketchum
12 mi away
Wood River Inn & Suites

Been to Sun Valley Lodge? Share your experiences!