“Steeped in history and beauty”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Sun Valley Lodge

Sun Valley Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Sun Valley
Louisiana
“Steeped in history and beauty”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

We went to Sun Valley for business and stayed longer for pleasure....and we would have stayed even longer if we could have. We went during the summer and we were concerned our teenagers would be bored.....we were pleasantly surprised at how much we did. From ski lifts to eat lunch, paddle boarding, fishing, ice skating, white water rafting, bike riding. Even a day spent at the resort was a busy day. We did not have a bad meal or bad service the entire week. We felt completely safe there - and so did the kids. We took the bus to Ketchum and walked and shopped and ate - such a quaint, beautiful town! We saw deer out of our window...a creek ran by our room....just simply beautiful and want to do again, and again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Boise, Idaho, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014

I checked in and was told I was a no show from the previous night.i asked how could that be?she explained that it wasn't their policy to call or send emails to guests about their arrivals and although I was staying with them it was done through a second party. I figured I could address this later and was anxious to get to my room. After several minutes she told me I was on the 3 rd floor she had the bellman take my bag up and I proceeded to the convention hall. Upon returning to lodge and looking forward to a nap before the evenings events I entered my room and saw my bag at foot of bed and went to sit down when I felt what I thought was an earthquake . I sat there for a few seconds and realized it was something outside, I looked out the window and saw and heard a giant claw knocking down the building and debri was everywhere ! I called down to the front desk and she informed me that construction was from 730 am to 730 pm.i asked why I was put in a room right next to the demolishing she apologized and said it was a mistake. She asked that I come down and they would change rooms. After a wait I was sent to the Sun valley inn , instead of the Lodge , I was assured it was just as nice. This was not the case. I don't feel they took care of me and I am less then pleased with the way they handled the situation. I am very disappointed with their operations.

Room Tip: Make sure you get what you pay for,they will switch your accommodations
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Debbie D
Mike F, Front Office Manager at Sun Valley Lodge, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Thank you Debbi D for your review. We value all feedback given to us and will use your review for future training during our remodel.

We do apologize that you had  this experience with us and that we did not meet your expectations. We have been moving  guests away from the side where we are remodeling and must have missed that we placed you on that side of the building. The Lodge was full over those days of your conference and we should have offered the Inn to you at check in. We did remove the charge for the no show immediately after check in and apologize again for the confusion with your reservation.

Sun Valley is committed to 100% guest satisfaction and we do hope that you will return to the Resort and have the experience that Sun Valley is known for.

Pia Girdler, Front Office Manager
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

SUN VALLEY LODGE 03/04/14-03/11/14

We stayed at the Sun Valley Lodge on a recent ski trip to Sun Valley. This place has so much history it just oozes from the Lodge. In the lobby hallways they have the hall of fame with photos of the celebrities who have stayed at this hotel, such as Lucille Ball, Bill Cosby, Clint Eastwood, and on & on. Also Earnest Hemingway wrote from Whom The Bell Tolls while staying at the hotel. We stayed in a room with two queen beds, the room was spacious had a huge closet to store all of our ski luggage which made the room more spacious. The amenities are great with outdoor heated swimming pools, spa services, outdoor & indoor ice skating rinks, an outdoor music pavilion for summer concerts, and on site restaurants and lounge, a short 2 minute walk to the village and there are more restaurants and shops. The shuttle bus to downtown Ketchum is also 2 minute walk outside the front door. I would highly recommend a stay at this fine hotel. I would also mention they will be closing in September 2014 to June 2015 for a major renovation of the rooms, lobby, and spa area.

Room Tip: Plan your trip before September 2014-The hotel will close until June 2015 for a major renovation.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

Sun Valley Lodge is one of those incredible classic properties that are a must stay when coming to Sun Valley for skiing. We were two couples on a short 3 day ski trip to Sun Valley.

The huge outdoor hot tub pool was fabulous. Used it everyday and brought in beer from the downstairs bar.

Our room was good size with a nice bathroom and was very pleasant.

Shuttle service to the ski slopes was great--no driving required. Ski mountain is so nice. Even a bad snow year the skiing was incredible. The crowds were non existant which made it nice. The ski lodges on the bottom and top of the mountain were very welcoming with good food and drinks.

We especially enjoyed The Konditorei restaurant about 100 yards from the lodge. Ate dinner there two nights and had breakfast as well. Gourmet food and wine for a very low price for the quality.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Burbank, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

I have stayed at the Sun Valley Lodge several times and cannot say enough good things about it. The hotel goes out of its way to make sure that your trip is as easy and enjoyable as possible. There great service starts when you land at the airport and they have a driver waiting for you to take you to the hotel. The hotel is fantastic, exceptionally beautiful and well equipped. From restaurants and bars (with live music every afternoon and night) to ice skating rinks and bowling alleys. If you want to go into town, they drive you there and pick you up. An amazing hotel, at a great price. My highest recommendation.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Eric H
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

We were there in early March 2014 when there was some fresh snow. The event planning staff at the hotel was great, we had a group of 25 or so for breakfast each morning that was well planned and very tasty. The hotel bar area was a great place to enjoy a cocktail before heading out for dinner. The staff all around was very courteous, knowledgable and nice. The hotel itself is charming but the forthcoming renovation is welcomed.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank David D
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

Loved this place. Great setting and as another reviewer says "old world vibe". We had a standard room on the first floor and it was quite roomy. THe bathroom was a bit small but was well put togehter. Everything was very clean. The housekeeping staff was great. the front desk and conceriege were superb. The walk in to town is easy and good exercise. they will van you into town and also pick you up. I only ate breakfast on the property and that was good. they said that they are shutting down for a year to remodel. I hope that they dont change it very much. however, the spa area can use an upgrade.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
#5 of 10 in Ketchum
BEST WESTERN Tyrolean Lodge
BEST WESTERN PLUS Kentwood Lodge
Wood River Inn & Suites

Been to Sun Valley Lodge? Share your experiences!