“Not for me”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Sun Valley
Toronto
“Not for me”
Reviewed June 9, 2008

I stayed at Sun Valley Lodge in June, which is a slow period. I was upgraded to the "Hemmingway" suite, which was very large and I'm sure some would conisder it nice; however, the style of the room was old (which is not my taste). Also, the bathroom was very out-dated and not in good repair.

The staff in the Lodge were nice, but there were some communication problems (front desk staff did not know the word "washroom", and thought I was talking about laundry). Also, some weird rules at the hotel which prevented staff from offering an acceptable level of customer service to our group.
Gretchen's restaurant was okay, but the kitchen seemed to have run out of many ingredients. Again, the style of the restaurant was old.

• Stayed June 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
boise idaho
Reviewed May 6, 2008

I always loving spring skiing in Sun Valley. The Lodge always offers a GREAT time. 4 star in my book from the time the doorman opened the door and stored our skis in a lock area, til check out using the logde computer system hooked up via the 42" flat screen in our room. The view of the ice rink out side our room was superb. Food and service was impecable. The sun always seem to shine for the better part of the day. I have been coming to Sun Valley for years staying in almost all of the hotels from Hailey to Sun Valley and if you want pampered this is where to stay. My children love the heated pool never less than 102 degrees and the enjoy the bowling alley and game room. If you make it during the winter make sure you take the sleigh ride to trail creek cabin for lunch or dinner.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
hailey, id
Reviewed March 14, 2008

We are local and got married in 2004, so I am not sure how the renovation is going and the current quality. We booked the lodge for our wedding night for something fun and different. We arrived late around 11pm so we payed quite a bit for a mere few hours but we didnt care, we liked the excuse to check out the place we had wined and dined for years. I felt sick when we arrived and needed a tums or something (think I ate and danced too much), the concierge couldnt or wouldnt provide me this (a hotel of this type should have this stuff or go get it for you). Our room was nice, although we had to see a hallway halfway thru a renovation and were stepping over piles of carpeting. The stupid thins was our flat screen TV was on the wall parallel to the bed, how are you to watch TV when the TV isnt even in front of you. Not that we planned on watching tv but I thought it was pretty bad planning. So, the room was okay but not worth $500 by far. I must add thought that the brunch in the dining room is great, we go quite a bit during the year. It is $27, pretty normal for a resort buffet, but the dining room is beautiful with the crystal chandeliers and the staff dressed nicely. There is a pianist. There also is a fruit crepe station, an omelet station and a sliced meat station. All great!

• Stayed July 2004, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dmarie77
US
Reviewed March 7, 2008

Stayed for a week in March. The lodge is old, but in fairly good condition. Only the bathroom fixtures show a bit of the age. Overall, very nice facilities. Lodge felt cozy and warm, very appropriate for a ski resort property. One of the best aspects of the stay here is the staff. Most of the staff are brought in from other countries (primarily Latin America and the Caribbean). There are a few locals mixed in as well (particularly on the ski slopes; the snowsports staff are extremely knowledgeable). They are extremely friendly and helpful. The housekeeping staff is excellent as well. They clean the rooms multiple times a day, including turndown service in the evening.

The lodge also has an ice rink directly behind it and is a short walk to the shops/restaurants of the ski village, as well as the bus stops. The resort itself is family-oriented and focused primarily on the skiing. This is not a party resort, but definitely a resort for skiers and their families who want to enjoy their time in the mountains.

Stayed March 2008
Boston, Ma
Reviewed January 11, 2008

Stayed at the Sun Valley Lodge apartments from Dec. 27th -Jan. 3rd, with my family of four. Excellent service. Recommend the apartments. Well furnished. Maid service every day. We booked a two bedroom, two bath. Ordered our food through the concierge from a local grocery store. It was there when we arrived.

The Sun Valley resort is a low key world unto itself, with two wonderful skating rinks, great Nordic, terrific snowshoeing and fun restaurants. There are many activities for your older grandparents and for young children.

We ski a good deal , in the West , and live in New England.
Many resorts are becoming too mall-like, or are just a bunch of condos with a mountain.

There is a lovely flavor to Sun Valley, and with Ketchum there, and Halley--it feels like a real place, with real food and people who live and work there year round.

My only caveat to our experience was that we went during the Christmas/holiday break and there were many restaurants and on-mountain cafeterias that actually ran out of food by , say 1 o'clock.
We do not blame the service people there, and yes, the concierge service was terribly apologetic, saying that they were a small town and it was the busy season---
but Sun Valley has been in operation for over 50 years and this food shortage should never have happened. It is a self-contained resort. The food managers need to really assess their planning for next year (MEANING, I HOPE THEY READ TRIP ADVISOR).

I absolutely recommend this resort. I will definately go back with family. I also suggest that if you book for the December holiday season, you book all restaurants and spa treatments, and lessons and anything else at the same time.

Sun Valley needs to help , perhaps on their website, with making this hectic time of year easier for themselves and for their guests.
They should build their website to accomodate these sorts of bookings. Or they should at least make it clear to guests that if we don't book VERY much ahead of time, there are no reservations of any kind to be had.

One other tip: I did show up at different places, restaurtants, lessons , the spa and asked face-to-face, very cheerfully, to be put on wait lists for the next day or whatever. I did get in to many places this way.

The food was lovely. The service was excellent. The grounds and decor were magical.

Sun Valley just needs to help their establishments deal .
The management needs to work out food,purchasing and guest reservations so that employee AND customer are not stressed and don't take it out on each other.

It is such a beautiful place that I am certain this issue will be resolved with aplomb very quickly.

Los Angeles
Reviewed December 20, 2007

Got an excellent rate on a condo at the Sun Valley Lodge -- a bit before the seaons actually started, but there was enough snow to get in four days on Dollar Mountain. The condo was terrific - kind of '70s style, but everything worked, the kitchen was modern and there was plenty of room for all my winter clothes. The restaurant in the main lodge, Gretchen's, was great and service was very good. There are buses to take you to the mountains or into town, though figuring out when and where they stopped was kind of a nightmare. The lodge was decorated for the holidays and it was really sweet -- in another week it seems like all the decorations will be up, but still, tons of lights, trees, wreathes, ice sculptures, really beautiful. The only downside is that for some reason the hotel "held" the estimated amount of the room on my account -- it happened to be that I used an ATM card for the reservation, so they actually took the money from my checking account. I realized upon returning home as it looked to me like they charged me twice (they never told me they would do this, then had the nerve to tell me it's "standard" that a hotel does this). In my experience, hotels hold your credit card number for incidentals and in case you skip out. I had even paid a non-refundable deposit for the reservation, so this, to me, seemed like an odd way to do business. Also, it totally screwed up my bank balance because as far as my bank could tell, they actually took the amount, then credited it back to my account.

Aside from all that, the place is nice, it's not insanely expensive ,and the ameneties are quite good.

• Liked — The decorating - warm, cozy, fireplaces and comfy chairs and couches, very pretty
  • Disliked — The inability of the international staff to communicate and their general cluelessness
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nelliebly
Seattle, WA
Reviewed December 14, 2007

The Lodge is a fine older property about 1 mile outside of the main town of Ketchum. As others have noted, you do need to take a shuttle to ski, but it doesn't take too long and they run regularly. Also, the staff at the Lodge were more than happy to run you into Ketchum whenever you felt like it.

The Good: Rooms were fairly small (actually, I thought the entire place was smaller than I had envisioned) but comfortable. Beds were great, shower has water pressure that could send you into the next room, but the shower head is mounted so that anyone taller than 5'6 is going to need to bend their knees! It was also quiet, no earplugs required. I'd give the service an A-. Staff was very friendly and accommodating, and while some of them do speak with accented English--they do speak and understand English, contrary to what you may have read on this site. If you have ever stayed at ski resorts around the country, you know that an international workforce is di rigeur. But perhaps the xenophobic should stay elsewhere.

The Not so Good: Price, mostly. The Lodge is historic, it has good service, and they have a hot pool you can SWIM in (where have you seen that outside of a hot springs?) But it is showing its age and there is a genteel shabbiness about the place. And it isn't on-hill or even in-town. If I was paying more than $150/nt, I would start to feel like it wasn't worth it. To be fair, though, Sun Valley is very expensive. It has something of an Aspen-ish feel. It also seems very popular with the active, wealthy boomer and older set.

Overall, I'd stay at the Lodge again--as long as my husband's company was still footing the bill!

• Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
Wood River Inn & Suites
Tamarack Lodge
Tamarack Lodge
#5 of 10 in Ketchum

Been to Sun Valley Lodge? Share your experiences!