“Beyond Expectations”
Review of Sun Valley Inn

Sun Valley Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Sun Valley
Reviewed November 9, 2011

How fortunate I am to live in Idaho, only a few hours from Sun Valley Inn. When staying at the Sun Valley Resort, I've enjoyed every moment. No reason to leave, as everything you need is all within walking distance. There is a peacefulness about the environment. It's also fun! Much to do, much to see.
Helpful, friendly service staff throughout.
The turn-down service with delicious chocolates is one of many special pluses.
I highly recommend the Sun Valley Inn, ANY time of the year.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank magicjean

Reviewed October 30, 2011

Spent the last weekend at the Sun Valley Inn. Very well maintained and managed resort. Front desk staff was very efficient. Housekeeping does an excellent job...rooms are immaculate. Our room was extremely comfortable. Great bed, good size bathroom, excellent shower, large table that was perfect if you wanted room service. Outdoor pool open year round. Nice exercise room. Had dinner at Gretchens...excellent waitstaff, good food. The only service that wasn't up to standard was room service. The first day we ordered a full breakfast. We called a minute or two before room service began at 7 AM and they told us to call back. The breakfasts arrived on time but were not very hot...lukewarm. The second morning we ordered continental breakfasts. This time the order was promised in 20 minutes and took over 30. They forgot the napkins and silverware so it took another 10 minutes to get those delivered. Not a big deal...but not as good as the rest of the hotel.

Room Tip: We prefer the Inn to the lodge...but must confess it has been a few years since we have stayed in th...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Western View
Reviewed September 24, 2011

The Sun Valley Inn (Resort) is a five star destination resort in a beautiful part of Central Idaho. Just celebrating its 75th anniversary, it is easy to understand why they have been so successful for so many years. The resort itself is a self contained full service “city” if you will that offers just about any type of recreation and shopping you could want. There is even a bowling alley on the property. I stayed at the Inn, and was immediately impressed with the old world décor and memorabilia that adorned the walls in the lobby/concierge area. The photos are a who’s who of a bygone era that really gives you a sense of the property. I had a spacious, well appointed, corner fourth floor room that overlooked the swan pond in the front of the property, and the wooded area to the east. It was very quiet with no traffic/business noise. The bar served a variety of heavy appetizers, and there is a full service restaurant across the lobby. Be sure to stay for the piano trio who played Sat and Sun evening. They were fantastic. I could go on, but suffice to say I was impressed with everything about the resort. While I was there during the summer season, I can only imagine the ambience that winter brings.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Nitroxprt
Reviewed September 15, 2011

I have actually stayed at this hotel twice now. Once at the Lodge during ski season, and once at the Inn during the summer. I would prefer to stay in the Lodge during the winter because of the awesome outdoor hot tub connected to the hotel.

The resort itself is not on the ski mountain, but the whole area is so small it doesn't really matter. I walked into town from the resort during the summer, and the whole area is beautiful.

The hotel is quite old, and I would say that the bathrooms could stand to be updated, but the room itself is always very clean, nice, and comfortable. The staff in the hotel have been very helpful on both my visits. I would try to get a room on the highest floor possible of the hotel, just because the ground floor rooms are very much ground floor, and if there's a lot of foot traffic, there's a little less privacy.

Truly, I didn't spend much time in the hotel during the winter--there's so many other things to do. My visit during the summer was shorter, and I spent more time in the hotel that visit. The food in the hotel is fantastic as well.

Also, if you can afford it, fly into the Ketchum airport, especially during the summer. The drive from Boise is very nice, but the airport is very small, and super easy to get into and out of. They only fly puddle-jumpers though from either Salt Lake or Boise, and I could forsee bad weather causing problems if you flew out of Ketchum during the winter, but I could think of worse places to get stuck!

Room Tip: High floor. The Inn is a little more private than the Lodge.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank DoctorsK
Reviewed September 14, 2011

We went for the Ice Show and our accommodations were fabulous. We were upgraded to an "apartment" which is a beautiful suite. The rooms are old but this adds to the ambiance. The room was so clean and the turn down service was so nice with chocolates on the pillows. The front desk service was very warm and welcome. The grounds are immaculate. The Ice Show and Buffet are a real treat. We will definitely be back next year.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank oceans226
Reviewed August 28, 2011

When we checked in we were given room 1. It was practically in the lobby backing up to the business office. We thought "Oh no". Well we couldn't have been more wrong. It was quiet and convenient to outside. We had wine and cheese out by the pond every night. Ate at the resorts restaurants after spending the days at Bald Mountain hiking and biking. Lovely place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank havefuntoday14
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Excellant service from the staff, clean, beautiful grounds and turn down service is included.! TThe hotel is close to the ski slopes too. The room had a refrigerator and safe. There are ponds, pools, jacuzzi, tenice courts and conference rooms.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Best Western Plus Kentwood Lodge
Tamarack Lodge
Tamarack Lodge
#5 of 10 in Ketchum

Been to Sun Valley Inn? Share your experiences!