“Take a lesson”

22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Take a lesson”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

After flying in on Alaska Airlines from Seattle to Hailey, ID I noticed that there was a pert with my Alaska ticket of a ½ day ski pass for my day of arrival and a group lesson the next day. I told the rest of the family that I was going to take the lesson the next morning and they looked at me like I was crazy. Hey the black runs at my home mountain are about the same pitch as the green runs on Baldy so heck yeah I am taking all of the advice I can get. I showed up for the group lesson with about a dozen other people of all abilities and they did the normal ski off to find out which instructor should take which guests by skiing from the top of a short chair back down to the base of the gondola. The lead instructor took off and I took off right behind him while the other instructors watched the group so we could be arranged by ability. When I arrived at the bottom on the tails of the lead instructor and we turned to look up hill there was no one else in sight. He then turned to me and said my name is Aaron and I will be your instructor today I knew I had lucked into a private lesson with one of the supervisors of one of the best ski schools in the country. Score. He asked me a few questions and I told him I really wasn’t feeling like black diamonds and bumps so if he could just help me with a few problems I have as a result of a back injury I would be very grateful. After about 4 runs we stopped midway down this fairly steep pitch to make a little correction and I asked what run we were on …. Lime Light was his response. Hum as I recall that is a black diamond run and I said no black diamonds. His response was “are you having fun?” Well, yes … then shut up and ski. This was one of the best lessons I have ever had and I will take another one when I return next year even though I am a past level 2 ski instructor and a current member of the National Ski Patrol active about 30 days a year on Mt Hood in Oregon. I would recommend taking a lesson in Sun Valley or any destination resort to anyone because you can always learn something new or just find the hidden secret runs that only the locals know about.

Hailey, Idaho
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“One of top 5 ski mountains”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Skiing is one of the best mountains in US. Many interesting and varied runs. Something for everyone. 3400 feet of vertical make runs endless. wide open terrain with best in class grooming as well as bowls.

Visited February 2013
New London, Connecticut
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Great skiing”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

of course there are ungroomed bowls all over this mountain with an honest 3000' of vertical, but what amazes is the regular grooming of serious steeps, which, as my knees get older and older, I really appreciate.
Hardly ever a crowd.

1 Thank joekr
Waterford, Connecticut
65 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“skier's dream”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Bowls that go on forever, groomed steeps that can't be found anywhere else, why go anywhere else? The food in the lodges (three of them each with marble bathrooms) is both excellent and reasonably priced

2 Thank pisces025
north carolina
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Beautiful. Challenging.”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

More natural snow would have been nice, but they can't control that. Spectacular views. When they say black diamond, they really mean it! Love the Roundhouse restaurant on the slopes. No crowds when we were there.

2 Thank fava