“Overpriced and Uptight Owner”
Review of Valley Creek Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stanley
Valley Creek Lodge
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Stanley
Reviewed August 2, 2012

The accommodations are standard for the area, but clearly over priced. The place was clean, the view quite poor. I'd suggest looking elsewhere because you'll get more for the money. The owner reminded me of an ex-military man that runs a tight ship and is highly inflexible.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
12  Thank Furthr

Reviewed July 31, 2012

I booked 3 nights in Stanley, first at the High Country Inn. It wasn't at all what I expected and not very clean with a fifties kitchen and bath. I left after one night. I then went to the Valley Creek. How refreshing to have a clean, fresh smelling room. First I met Herb, a nice man who runs the front desk and one of the owners. The next day I met Victoria his wife who is a friendly, charming and a delight to talk to. We had nice conversations and she had fascinating stories to tell about her travels and countries she has lived in. By the time we left, after 2 nights, we felt like family and exchanged hugs. We have stayed at almost all of the hotels in this town, this is by far the best. We will be back.
Try the Bakery for breakfast and the Sawtooth Hotel for dinner (same owners), great food.
This is a darling western town about 1 1/2 hours drive north of Sun Valley. On your way back to Sun Valley, be sure and stop at the Galena Lodge for a super lunch.

Room Tip: All are good.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BB6262
Herbert M, Owner at Valley Creek Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2016

Thank you. This is why we are in business; meeting good people and sharing at least a brief time together to brighten each other's journey.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

Clean, no frills motel.

If you need a moderately comfortable room in Stanley or a large room with a kitchenette for preparing your own meals, you can consider Valley Creek. If you're looking for a nicer room with up-to-date decor (decor here is not old or dirty, just very low-budget) and spectacular views, you might want to try someplace else.

One of the owners is an extraordinarily friendly and very funny Basque lady. She supplied us with a lot of useful information on things to see and places to eat. I wish I could give Valley Creek 5 stars just on her personality alone. Unfortunately, due to a few critical issues with the room and the other owner I can't.

First, the thermostat was broken--we set the heater to 68 degrees before going to bed. When we woke up in the middle of the night, after sleeping horribly, the temperature in the room was about 87 degrees. When we informed the owner (her husband) he replied, "well, those thermostats are not really supposed to be accurate". He offered no apology whatsoever. His response was 100% unacceptable. Especially at the rates Valley Creek charges.

The other significant issue--the walls are paper thin. Even with earplugs in, I could still hear people in the other rooms. I could even clearly hear our upstairs neighbor urinating in the middle of the night. And this is despite my bed being at the opposite end of the room from the bathrooms.

Overall, the minuses significantly outweighed the pluses at Valley Creek and I can not recommend staying here. We did not consider it a good value. Next time we need a motel room in Stanley, we will definitely look elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank gringoca
Reviewed September 19, 2011

We called ahead & were assured the property was handicap accessible w ramp & bath bars prior to our 6/2011 trip. My husband has muscular dystrophy & can only walk a few shaky steps while hanging on - on flat ground. We weren't told the parking lot was loose gravel & the only access to the ramp. His scooter wheels could not negotiate the gravel. Earlier we had to ask a whole group of bikers to move their motorcycles so we could park sideways so less gravel had to be negotiated - they got really mad because there was no handicap sign except for the one we had for vertical parking (which would then require a long ride over gravel & finally one nice guy convinced the group to move another space over. My husband had to get up & walk to the ramp while 3 of us tried to drag the scooter to the ramp (I'm 71). My husband fell (please see pictures attached) & he cannot get up from the ground. This was night time after dinner hour - you can't believe what we went thru to get him up & onto the scooter to get into our room - very scary experience & humiliating for my husband. The bathroom has only a tiny bar which did not help in the least to get my husband off the toilet & the bathtub had no handicap bars so he could not take a shower (note pictures). The room was clean & probably great for non-handicap. This is a designated handicap room - would never meet ADA standards. Please don't even consider this motel if a scooter or wheelchair is required - will ruin your trip. The bed was not great either but that wasn't a the significant issue we had. I tried to talk to the staff on site but they sort of shook their head as if we should have selected another place. We checked out the area before leaving & found another really accessible room for a lot less money.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Celeste F
Reviewed September 15, 2011

As in most of the reviews the view was fantastic and being able to go out both sides of the building to look at it is a bonus. Victoria was very helpful in guiding us to an interesting afternoon outing and a great breakfast spot. When we checked in to the room there was a dirty facecloth left on the shower rod and we went to make coffee in the maker and there were old grounds and when we checked the cups we had to wash them as it looked like they were just run under the water and put away. When rolling down the comforter to go to bed we found a large dirty rubber band on top of the clean sheets. Other than that very quiet and enjoyable.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Papa_JCalgaryCanada
Reviewed August 20, 2011

The Valley Creek Motel is conveniently located on the west side of town on Highway 21. There are 7 rooms total. We stayed on the second floor which offered good views of the Sawtooths from the front balcony and a pleasant view off the rear deck of the Valley Creek and nearby hills. As with most of the motels in Stanley, it is right on the main road, so you also have views of other buildings, junky yards, etc. -- but that was our expectation anyway.

The rooms were good-sized, very clean and in great condition. The beds were very comfortable. Although we didn't watch it, the TV was a nice, medium-sized flat screen. There was a small kitchenette that was well outfitted, and a small table with 2 chairs. The bathroom is small but clean. They provide shampoo/conditioner/lotion and a hair dryer. There is also an ironing board in the room. There are chairs and tables on the front balcony so you can sit outside. There is also free w-fi.

I would definitely choose Valley Creek again. And while you are in Stanley, be sure to visit the Stanley Museum!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank connecticuttraveler6
Reviewed July 10, 2011

This is a very nice hotel with some outstanding views of the mountains from the balcony. The rooms were clean, well maintained and quiet. The owner was very friendly and gave us some good suggestions for places to eat in town. The bakery in town has outstanding breakfast and they are very prompt in getting the food out. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Valley Creek Lodge? Share your experiences!