“Accommodations don't match the great scenery”
Review of Redfish Lake Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stanley
Redfish Lake Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Stanley
Reviewed July 12, 2011

Redfish Lake Lodge is located on scenic Redfish Lake, about 7 miles south of Stanly, ID. The lake and Sawtooth Mountains in the background are drop dead gorgeous,and the area is great for hiking, boating and enjoying nature. Unfortunately, if you are looking for something a little upscale to go along with the scenery, the Lodge doesn't quite do it. There are several types of accommodations, ranging from rooms with shared bathrooms to individual cabins that sleep varying numbers. We opted for one of the the "suites" which were actually log cabin duplexes. You would expect the rustic look in a place like this and that's what you get.....rustic and basic. Our room had one bed, two small chairs 2 end tables, a small fridge and a bathroom. That's it. You would expect that peace and quiet would go along with the absence of all electronic devices, but the poorly insulated walls allowed us to hear our neighbors converse, and when they turned on the shower (after we had fallen asleep), it sounded like we had stepped under Niagara Falls. Also, the lake is very popular with families and kids abound - not that there's anything wrong with that - but once again the peace and quiet theme suffers.
I have no problem with plain and simple in locations like this, but I do have a problem when plain and simple is priced as upscale and luxury. Interestingly, the following night we stayed at a very nice Hyatt in Boise and paid half what we paid at Redfish. I realize this is not an apples to apples comparison but you get my point. There was nothing wrong with this lodge - the cabins were clean and the staff was friendly and helpful. We ate two meals at the dining facility and enjoyed good (big!) meals and good service. But my conclusion is that if you want to enjoy the beauty of the Redfish Lake area, rent a cheaper room in Stanly and drive down to Redfish for a day trip.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank trickydnc
There are newer reviews for Redfish Lake Lodge

Reviewed July 3, 2011

The staff at Redfish Lake Lodge are extremely helpful and friendly. The atmosphere of Redfish Lake Lodge is family oriented and very relaxed. I only stayed one night but wish I could have stayed longer. The view from my room #11 was spectacular of both the lake and the Sawtooths. The room was small but with surroundings like these I wanted to be outside as much as possible. Great location. This is a place to be experienced!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank jseik
Reviewed July 3, 2011

We found the entire setting to be perfect. Every employee went out of thier way to assist us and all were customer friendly. The cabins are rustic, clean and perfect for the type of resort they advertise. When on vacation you need to slow down and take in some of the most breathtaking scenery Idaho has to offer. This is the place to do just that. We were there in the middle of the week and I have to say I would not want to be there on the weekend unless you enjoy lots of interaction with people. We will be back!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 3, 2011

Redfish Lake is one of the most beautiful and pristine locations I have ever seen in the continental US. The lodge staff is very friendly, from the front desk, to the wait staff to the housekeeping people, everyone was just as helpful as could be. We stayed in one of the log cabins, which was comfortable and clean. No televisions or clocks, which didn't really bother us . The resort had plenty of comfortable chairs outside to relax and enjoy the magnificent views. We were there just before the 4th of July, so there were lots of families enjoying the area. It was very pleasant. The marina offers boats at a very reasonable rate, which I would recommend. We also went horseback riding, which was also nice. The only real complaint that we had about this resort, is their restaurant was pretty awful. They seemed unprepared for the holiday influx. We waited and waited to be seated, then waited more for service and our food, which was pretty bad. Hopefully that was just a fluke, because the rest of the resort is outstanding.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gowzer
Reviewed June 30, 2011

Easy access to put kayak in at one of the most beautiful places around. 5 miles in to the end of the lake. Backpackers and day hikers, fewer people. If you don't have your own watercraft, you can pay about $8 to be transported in and out.

Rustic natural surroundings were well kept and mostly quiet at night. Our cabin was clean and bright, with a separate room to enjoy reading or visiting. Bathroom was clean, everything worked. Deer walked around our cabin every night, nibbling on the grasses.

We brought our cooler with food to be microwaved, ate most meals this way. Drove in to Stanley one night and had dinner there at a steak house on the river (5 miles away) Lunch one day in the Redfish Lodge. Not so good.

We found the staff to be helpful and pleasant. The teenagers cleaning the cabins do a pretty great job.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank 58LeeLee
Reviewed June 28, 2011

Traveled there for a wedding and really enjoyed the experience. Food was surprisingly good and reasonably priced. Staff were friendly and helpful. Location couldn't be better and they have done a good job of keeping the area/buildings rustic. Very cool. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2011

I had been here 40 years ago as a child and was not disappointed. The view was incredible, the lodge room very rustic and nice, the restaurant excellent (although expensive) and the hiking wonderful!!

I had read reviews about the staff being younger and rude but did not find them to be true. They were pleasant and helpful.

Overall, the resort is more developed and caters to tourists instead of locals but still retains it's beauty and charm. There are bike rentals, boat rentals, hiking trails, a quality restaurant, etc.

I stayed in the lodge in an older room. A couple negatives are the fact that there is only 1 plug, which was not sufficient for my phone and a fan. It was hot and I could open the window but it was very noisy due to the kitchen below. Wi-fi and cell service were spotty as they say on their website. The door locks were tricky and old. Sometimes they released the lock and others not. Needless to say, don't leave your room without your key in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. I was locked out of mine, thinking I had unlocked the door prior to leaving. I had to wait for the rental office to open to return to my room (a couple of hours). Twas an embarrassing episode in the lobby with no shoes, glasses, etc. Weather was too cold to stay in the car. LOL!

Great hiking but the lodge office should supply a simple map of trails to guests. They expect guests to buy a $10 map in the store, which I did not. Instead, chose to wing it. Trails were still covered in snow many places. Gorgeous views and hiking still!!!! Thoroughly enjoyed it!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo