“Perfect place to unplug”
Review of Redfish Lake Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stanley
Redfish Lake Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Stanley
Reviewed June 30, 2011

Easy access to put kayak in at one of the most beautiful places around. 5 miles in to the end of the lake. Backpackers and day hikers, fewer people. If you don't have your own watercraft, you can pay about $8 to be transported in and out.

Rustic natural surroundings were well kept and mostly quiet at night. Our cabin was clean and bright, with a separate room to enjoy reading or visiting. Bathroom was clean, everything worked. Deer walked around our cabin every night, nibbling on the grasses.

We brought our cooler with food to be microwaved, ate most meals this way. Drove in to Stanley one night and had dinner there at a steak house on the river (5 miles away) Lunch one day in the Redfish Lodge. Not so good.

We found the staff to be helpful and pleasant. The teenagers cleaning the cabins do a pretty great job.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank 58LeeLee

Reviewed June 28, 2011

Traveled there for a wedding and really enjoyed the experience. Food was surprisingly good and reasonably priced. Staff were friendly and helpful. Location couldn't be better and they have done a good job of keeping the area/buildings rustic. Very cool. Highly recommend.

Reviewed June 26, 2011

I had been here 40 years ago as a child and was not disappointed. The view was incredible, the lodge room very rustic and nice, the restaurant excellent (although expensive) and the hiking wonderful!!

I had read reviews about the staff being younger and rude but did not find them to be true. They were pleasant and helpful.

Overall, the resort is more developed and caters to tourists instead of locals but still retains it's beauty and charm. There are bike rentals, boat rentals, hiking trails, a quality restaurant, etc.

I stayed in the lodge in an older room. A couple negatives are the fact that there is only 1 plug, which was not sufficient for my phone and a fan. It was hot and I could open the window but it was very noisy due to the kitchen below. Wi-fi and cell service were spotty as they say on their website. The door locks were tricky and old. Sometimes they released the lock and others not. Needless to say, don't leave your room without your key in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. I was locked out of mine, thinking I had unlocked the door prior to leaving. I had to wait for the rental office to open to return to my room (a couple of hours). Twas an embarrassing episode in the lobby with no shoes, glasses, etc. Weather was too cold to stay in the car. LOL!

Great hiking but the lodge office should supply a simple map of trails to guests. They expect guests to buy a $10 map in the store, which I did not. Instead, chose to wing it. Trails were still covered in snow many places. Gorgeous views and hiking still!!!! Thoroughly enjoyed it!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed June 26, 2011

We stayed in the rustic cabin at Redfish Lake. This is our fifth year staying here and while the scenery remains unbelievable, the service and quality of the lodgings seem to be on the decline. While the food at the restaurant was very good, our service was slow, food came out cold however the kitchen took prompt care to fix that. Dinner for two with app, two drinks and entree was $85 so not cheap but not outrageous to me. The cabin was rustic like the name says but everything worked fine. Certainly not luxury accommodations, but we knew that and it kind of adds to the experience. Bed was really uncomfortable however. The worst part was we had a problem with billing at the time of check out. It seems no one was able to figure it out, manager was called and he acted like it was our fault instead of the untrained staff. This place employs a lot of college aged kids for the summer which is great but it doesn't seem like they are trained to do the job at hand. I amended my original review because I did receive a reply from the manager apologizing for the problem in a follow up email I had sent. This will most likely not prevent us from going back but we just hope management/owners do not let the problems go unchecked as it currently seems to be the case.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2011

I had stayed in one of the cabins before, but had not stayed in the lodge. The Ritz it ain't, but we didn't expect that. :) The lodge was built in 1929 and has been gently "modernized" so there are bound to be quirks.

The good:
Our room (#17) retained the original woodwork. There was a sink in the room with plenty of hot water. The queen size bed was firm. Plenty of hot water in the communal shower when I used it. (I'm an early riser, however.) I didn't bring my computer this time, but last time the Wi-Fi at the lodge was strong and reliable. We had invariably friendly service. We only had coffee in the dining room, but we were not rushed off of our table. And best of all, few quick steps downstairs to the dining room and the beautiful lake!

What some people might consider objectionable:
The walls are thin... we heard the next door couple's entire plans for the day. The two communal bathrooms (male and female) have two toilet stalls and two showers each, shared among 10 rooms. The toilets are low and my old bones could have used a grab bar. All the lodge rooms are on the 2nd floor and are accessed only by stairs.

Some hints:
The rooms are over the working part of the lodge. Ours was above the kitchen, so until the dining room closed there was some noise. I imagine that 18A and B would be quieter, as they are over the dining room itself. The rooms that face the lake are over the restaurant, and the one on the end (I think it was 9, not sure) is over the bar, so as someone else observed, would be noisy on a busy night..

There was one plug-in in our room, so next time I'm going to bring a power strip. There was baseboard heat but we didn't need it. In fact, we slept with the window open. There is no air conditioning, but there was a fan which could fit into the window.

So will I stay at the Redfish Lake Lodge again? Yes!!

Room Tip: #9, 10, 11, and 12 face the lake. Book early!!!!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank IdahoPug
Reviewed June 24, 2011

I grew up going to Redfish Lake in the summers....in fact my grandparents used to take my dad and his brother up there for camping trips when my dad was a kid. I hadn't been back to visit for almost 10 years and was super excited to take my husband and my kids and introduce them to the place that had been so dear to me. We stayed in one of the cabins. First thing - there is nothing in the cabins...just beds. Seems like they are trying to cram as many people in one unit as possible, so they can charge more. Luckily my husband is handy - he had to fiddle with the fireplace and the heaters in the bedroom AND bathroom to get them to work at all. Second - the staff is rude and a little scary. Third - they had a wedding the weekend we were there, which would be fine if it were what you'd expect for a mountain wedding....something small and quiet. But no, we had to listen to BLARING music for 4 hours. When we went to the front desk to ask when the music would stop, they weren't sorry, only said "we do stuff like this all the time." From what we heard, they do weddings almost every weekend in the summer. Had we known, we wouldn't have gone.

It seems that the once quiet retreat that was Redfish Lake Lodge has sold out....doing anything and everything for money without regard for the peace and quiet that made the place special in the first place. I am really sad and sorry to say that we won't ever be back. We'll find a place that's run by people who still understand what a mountain lodge is supposed to be like.

2  Thank boisekm
Reviewed June 19, 2011

Backdropped by snow covered 10,000 foot peaks and a clear, cold mountain lake it can't get any prettier unless you are backpacking. The cabins are a little smaller than advertised so don't plan to load them up. Roll-out beds in the Fishhook cabins are uncomfortable and, in some cases almost block the main door. A few small boards or rocks could level out the legs and make the air filled beds just fine. The service staff are mostly as friendly as you can find. There isn't a great selection in such an isolated spot so you are bound to run into a few not so friendly or competent. For the most part though we were all happy with them. Great hiking trails and lots of different types of rental water craft available.