“Cozy Dining Experience”

Dining options: Reservations
Squaw Valley, California
“Cozy Dining Experience”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Travelling through Sandpoint ID, we asked the desk clerk at our lodging establishment to suggest a place for supper. She named a place on the lake and the Hydra. As we were more interested in a good steak than anything else, we chose the Hydra. We were pleasantly surprised when being seated at the intimacy of the place. We ordered a seafood appetizer, my wife ordered prime rib and I ordered a NY strip. We were very elated at the selections at the salad bar, and contented ourselves with ample but not overly large portions. The appetizer was delicious. Fresh and tasty. The entrees were very good, but my wife's choice of potato was not sufficiently cooked. My baked potato was excellent. The summer medley of vegetables complemented the beef selections quite well. As it was a Wednesday night, we were struck by the number of local people dining there. All in all, we would highly recommend this establishment to through travelers.

“Absolutely wonderful meal”
Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

We ate at the Hydra for a late lunch. This wasn't our first time here, but it had been a couple of years since we've been there (we live 1000+ miles away). I remembered it was good, but this meal was absolutely wonderful. I had the grilled Parmesan cod with roasted baby potatoes and green beans. Everything was so good! My husband had a prime rib sandwich which he raved about for days. The waitress was very good, friendly, and knowledgable.

Visited September 2013
Sandpoint, Idaho
“Salad Bar Nazi”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

My husband and I are locals and have lived in Sandpoint pretty much all our lives. We have been to the Hydra many times over the years and have enjoyed it. This last weekend we celebrated our 28th wedding anniversary there. I ordered the blackened salmon Cesar salad and my husband got the salad bar. He made two trips to the salad bar and when he came back with his second helping he discovered he had made a mistake by putting on bacon bits which he did not care for. So when the waitress came to the table she removed his almost full plate of salad. I thought nothing of it until we paid our bill and walked out the door. To my udder disbelief a male employee followed us out the door and started yelling at us right on the street!! He shouted "Next time you come back here don't be wasting my salad bar!! I was so shocked all I could do was say "Are you kidding?" To this he nastily replied "no!" I walked back to the car in shock. My anniversary dinner had been ruined. I would think it would be up to the customer to leave whatever they find distasteful on their plate. Apparently not. Thanks for a ruined evening at the Hydra. We are never going back.

Leavenworth, KS
“Good service, decent food”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Offered unique specials with good flavor. Sirloin was excellent. My husband ordered the prime rib, which they were running low on for the evening so he received and end cut, so it was a little chewy and seemed to have been under the warming lamps for a while. Salads were excellent, green beans had an off flavor.

Our server was very helpful and pleasant. A little more expensive than we felt it may have been worth, but not horrible.

SPOKANE
“Could NOT have been better”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

This was one of the best experiences I have ever had at a restaurant!!! The 14 ounce center cut rib eye was done to perfection, served with a perfect baked potato and FRESH cooked green beans. Portions were large (I took half home) AND we were served a very tasty AND complimentary appetizer.....baked spinich/artichoke/parmesan dip with garlic herb crostinis. We ended the evening with FRESH coffee and a piece of carrot cake the size of a small house. :) It was DELICIOUS! The wait staff was friendly and very gracious. I would definitely go there again.