“Great restaurant, great staff...weird other customers”

Hydra Steakhouse & Lounge
Ranked #12 of 91 Restaurants in Sandpoint
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I've been here twice; once years ago and once again recently. I don't remember the first time because it was so long ago but this last time will never be forgotten. Don't get me wrong, the food was wonderful and the waitstaff was exceptional, and so was the decor and setting. But we were sat in the dining area nearest the bar and tv. Part way into our appetizer a group of what I would call "hoodlums" (afterthought, especially since 1 couldn't quit talking about just getting out of prison) came in and sat down in the booth right in front of a TV. They were loud, obnoxious, and rude to the waitstaff. After a bit, we noticed they got food and drinks and then just up and left WITHOUT PAYING!! When the waiter came back we had to inquire (just for curiousity's sake) why in the world they were ok with this table acting like that and then not even paying. We wondered (out loud) if they were "wanna-be" mobsters and pretty much got a "you nailed it" answer. I have nothing against the food, waitstaff, or surroundings but what owner of a nice establishment like that just lets these kids walk all over them and get away with it. If this were my restaurant I would have called the police.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Well my husband and I just had dinner at The Hydra, it was so, so. I haven't been there in years, but had remembered the salad bar, which used to be included in the "overpriced" dinner. I had the Alaskan Salmon???? I thought it would be a nice rich piece of Salmon, to my surprise it was "pink" Salmon-"Chum" obviously thawed from frozen. Poor quality. Dissapointed! My husband had the prime rib which he said was good. You don't even get rolls or any sort of bread with dinner :/ most likely the last time I will dine there.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I enjoyed the meal. Great service for a birthday dinner. I wouldn't say the meal was Haute Cuisine, but the steak was in fact medium rare, as requested. The greens were crisp. The baked potato large. And last, they have a full bar.

The thing I really enjoyed was layout of the restaurant. It's kind of like the Winchester Mystery house. Lots of nooks and crannies for a bunch of the tables. Those have a cozy feel to it.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

After reading mixed reviews here, we decided to give Hydra's a try anyway on our recent trip to Sandpoint. The food was really disappointing....my salmon and green beans were totally overcooked and flavorless. I was excited they had a salad bar but after paying $4 to have all you can eat added to my meal I only ended up going through once. There wasn't much to choose from and what they did have wasn't all that appetizing. To top it off we found the staff that we encountered to be indifferent in their service. The hostess and waitress were unfriendly and as I went through the salad bar I could clearly hear the cook's loud and inappropriate conversation. Really unimpressed and wouldn't recommend it.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

My husband and I love this restaurant. The outside deck is great in the summer and it has many table and both options inside intimate or otherwise. The soup and salad bar is a favorite of ours for a quick lunch on a trip to town but it nice enough for an evening date. The food is good. the hamburgers are huge.
Not overly impressed by the unprofessional dress of a couple of the waitresses and the service is not exceptional but overall a nice restaurant.