“I would come here every winter!”

Schweitzer Mountain Resort Lodging
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Sandpoint
Kenmore, Washington
“I would come here every winter!”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

This was my second stay at the White Pines Lodge. I take a ski vacation every year with a multi-generational group. This year the ages ranged from 25 to 85. This is a great ski in/ski out lodge- you can roll out of bed and be on the lift in minutes, and at the end of the day, you can kick off your ski boots and be in the hot tub in short order. I like the convenience of a full kitchen. My husband is a fabulous cook- so we prefer to eat in. It was an easy trip to visit the other rooms for happy hour and then back to your own room to eat dinner in comfort. There are 2 drawbacks. the "free breakfast" is awful- unappetizing food and surly waitstaff. Secondly- and there is nothing the hotel can do about this- Schweitzer has wonderfully groomed slopes- which means the groomers are outside your window while you try to sleep. Fortunately the great skiing compensates for the nightly wake up by the snow cats!

Room Tip: I preferred the view of the valley to the mountain view- but both are great.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I have to start by saying that I did enjoy my stay. The hotel is nice and the service was good. I just cannot forgive the sales staff for selling me a room without warning me that everything would be closed. We checked in at 3 and the receptionist told us that the only restaurant open would be closing in an hour. They closed early. We had planned to eat and drink and relax. The website made it sound like there would be many places available to eat and shop. It makes sense that it would be a ghost town this time of year, but only in hindsight. Us Californians don't expect seasonal closures. There should be an unmistakable warning on the website!!! Or, at least an asterisk next to businesses that only have morning or seasonal hours. It is laughable to call the place a resort while it doesn't even have a place to eat.

• Stayed April 2013
6 Thank Mattmcg10
Virginia
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We spent 4 weekday nights at the Selkirk Lodge on a ski trip. The staff was very friendly every time we came in or went out skiing. The rooms were very comfortable and reasonably quiet. Some thumping upstairs, probably when they had ski boots on right before or after skiing. Also, some of the rooms are owner occupied, and the "no pets" rule does not apply to them, and we had yipping dogs the last evening across the all. I wasn't the first to complain and the desk clerk explained it was an owner and he had tried to call the room but got no answer. There was an outer door (shared with the room next door, I guess so there could be 2 room suites) and shutting that helped some and the barking stopped later. Very comfortable beds.

Location was great with just a few steps to the snow and maybe 100 yards to one express lift, and another one just beyond, plus the beginner area. Underground heated parking that apparently can fill up, but never did mid-week. The village was small, so we went down into town most nights, and had one fun evening in Pucci's Pub. They had a free breakfast that was well kept-up and enough to choose from to fuel up before skiing. 3 outdoor hot tubs, so we didn't have to crowd in with strangers.

On checkout, I found that I apparently hadn't booked the "4th night free" deal. I remember having some issues or indecision when booking online and started and aborted 2 or 3 times before booking, and I guess I failed to get the deal. I asked about it, and the manager got involved, and offered a 10% discount on the bill. I still had a bit of a bad taste after this that the reservation system didn't give me the deal and that I was still short 15%. The resort sent a survey shortly after I got home and I made this comment, and within hours I had an email back that they apologized for this and credited my card with the 15% so I got the full 25% discount, or 4th night free. I was really impressed that they would do this even though I was now 2000 miles away and they had my money.

If I come back to Schweitzer, I will definitely stay at the Selkirk again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank BobFromVA
Cottonwood Idaho
Reviewed March 27, 2013

My stay at Schweitzer Mtn Resort was in the Selkirk Lodge. Room was spacious & very comfortable with a great view from the private deck. Bed was the most comfortable of any I've experienced; a few inches of softness with solid support below that. Appreciated that the heater was efficient (needed to set it at the lowest setting to not be overly warm ) nor did it make a loud noise when the fan cycled on during the night like so many other heating units.
Staff everywhere throughout the resort was most attentive, cordial & sincere.
I will be back for a third visit sometime.

Room Tip: Rooms either face the ski hill or face the lake and town of Sandpoint. A couple of my co-workers wh...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 18, 2013

The Selkirk Lodge is a nice hotel right in the village of Schweitzer. There are pretty much only 3 hotels in the entire village and this is probably the nicest one.

The lounge area with the fireplace is very small, so if you don't manage to get one of the 6 chairs, you're out of luck. No other places to sit and read a book.

The hotel shows movies daily in their own "theatre" in case you are in need of a break from the ski hills.

The outdoor heated swimming pool is terrific and surrounded by 3 hottubs. Great way to unwind after a day of skiing.

The restaurant, located right in the hotel, is ok. The food was pretty good - especially the chouder soup or the fish taco's, but the ambiance was poor.

Overall, they are a friendly bunch over there in Schweitzer. I just wish the village had more to it than 3 restaurants, 2 ski shops and 1 art store. Pretty boring village.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Mideast U.S.
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed at the Selkirk Lodge and really enjoyed our stay. The property is very well maintained and seems brand new. Staff is friendly and the pool/hot tub is very nice.

The only complaint we had was temperature control in the room. It was impossible to keep the room from overheating if you had the unit powered on at all. If you had it on HOT or COOL on the lowest setting, it'd pump out the heat. Even if you put it to the "fan only" mode the heat would still come on and we'd have to leave a door cracked to keep things equalized.

Other than that, there was plenty of space and our room was quiet. (we were on 5 I think) We did hear some folks complaining the next morning that their 4th floor room was very loud due to folks partying late the night before. Sounds like a good time that I missed. :)

The included breakfast was adequate, but not great. However, you could find something to interest you and the coffee (Tulleys) they serve is excellent.

I would definitely return and would recommend the Selkirk Lodge.

The restaurant (Chimney Rock Grille, I think) was very good and is staffed with great bartenders and a friendly owner. It is not quite gourmet, but they do a really good job with what they have. Definitely do not overlook the seafood specials (yes, in Idaho, it is flown in fresh from all over the world) and steak.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Don't come here if you expect to get any work done on the Internet. High-speed Internet is extremely slow and staff admits they have a very slow connection. Internet is so slow during the day you cannot even surf on the Internet. Some people gather in the lobby to get a little faster connection. This is unacceptable for the most expensive lodge in the Pacific Northwest for skiing.

Otherwise good experience but won't return because of this.

• Stayed February 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandpoint
Best Western Edgewater Resort
#6 of 6 in Sandpoint
Days Inn Sandpoint
Days Inn Sandpoint
#3 of 3 in Ponderay

Been to Schweitzer Mountain Resort Lodging? Share your experiences!