“Spring skiing, magnificent”

Schweitzer Mountain Resort Lodging
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Sandpoint
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Stayed in the Selkirk Lodge, got 3 nt / 4th nt free deal. Combined with $99 Spring Fling Passes and fresh snow every day, it all made for a great (and economical) 4 days of skiing. Complimentary breakfast was good/very good, hot tub and pool well maintained, and the staff were top notch. Modest DVD library (free), in house movie 'theatre,' but there was not a fridge in the room (so you will be stuck with mountain prices for drinks and snacks).

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed March 24, 2012

We've skied at Schweitzer for 2 years and actually like the skiing better than Whistler. We're from Seattle, so they are about equal drive time when you throw in the boarder crossing and Vancouver. It's never seemed crowded even on weekends and there is a great variety of terrain.

However, the slopeside lodging is limited and expensive unless you can get a group together for a larger condo. There are two options, Selkirk and White Pine lodges the cheapest room will cost about $190 total and include a dull but adequate breakfast buffet. The resort is about 6 long miles from Sandpoint and the dining options slopeside are few and mediocre, so you want to get a room with a microwave kitchenette and bring your own grub. This kitchenette will add about $25 per night, a full kitchen even more.

We stayed at Selkirk Lodge. The quality and level of service is not as high as what you get at similar destination ski resorts for the price. The underground parking is limited and the front desk is generally understaffed. However, the room was large and nicely furnished. It was strangely set up with the bed pushed against the heater such that the sleeper was periodically blasted with air. To us it was worth it for the location as we are pretty obsessed with getting first tracks, but if you're not I'd suggest staying in Sandpoint.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank akc19
Reviewed March 14, 2012

I give my recent stay and skiing activity at Schweitzer Mountain Resort a huge Excellent! We stayed on the mountain at the Selkirk lodge and it was beautifully decorated with lovely woods and rustic decor. It was so easy and convenient to ski in/out. And our meals there were wonderful especially dinner where I had a tuna meal with rice and bok choy. It was delicious!

We also lucked-out and had three sunny and outstanding days on the slopes. The skiing is varied and there is something for everyone; steep, trees, etc. I especially enjoyed the backside and the Outback restuarant. It was full of locals and the food was fabulous and they even had an open firepit outside. It was a great trip. I plan to return annually!

Room Tip: We had a corner deluxe room and it had a wonderful view of the village and Lake Pend Oreille.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank HSheryl
Reviewed February 28, 2012

Tons of powder, great food and craft beers, views that never end, and service that is fantastic. The Selkirk Lodge is gorgeous and the included hot breakfast is a delicious start to every day. The outdoor hot tubs and heated pool are the perfect touch for winding down at the end of the day.

All of the food options in the village are awesome, including Chimney Rock and Powderhound Pizza. Gourmandie is a really fun place for wine and cheese, while taps is THE place for apres ski with free pool tables, plenty of space, great views of the lake and mountain, awesome music, and a quality tap list.

The mountain has phenomenal terrain and is NEVER crowded. Seriously, I was there on the busiest day in their history and I still had entire trails all to myself. I cannot wait to get back. N. Idaho is the real deal! Utah and Colorado don't even compare...you can have the fancy names and reps. Keep Schweitzer a secret and the rest of us can play on!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank rpohagan
Reviewed February 14, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at Schweitzer with some out of state guests. It is everything we could have wanted and more! The mountain was amazing with a variety of runs and lifts. We never had to wait long at the lift line and needed more days to experience all the runs. Besides the skiing the village was so scenic and had a great atmosphere. A cute coffe/hot cocoa shop if you were in the mood or a bar with a live band to enjoy when you got off the slopes. I would reccomend Schweitzer to anyone!

Room Tip: We shared a one bedroom and it was comfortable for four people. I will say the pull out couch was n...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jennifer C
Reviewed February 2, 2012

My family stayed here quite a while ago. I meant to write a review but forgot. Anyway we stayed in big timber. It was may I believe so it was not ski season. I loved big timber. Such a gorgeous house and loads of space for my family of 6. It was so relaxing. I loved the service at the front desk. They were so friendly. Check in was so easy and so was check out. I have never seen views like these before. I usually travel to the caribbean and this was just as good. I would not hesitate to return for a week or so to just relax and unwind. I definitely recommend big timber. Its an amazing house.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank jamsmak04
Reviewed February 1, 2012

What a great place to stay and ski!! We arrived a little early due to great road conditions, so we decided to check on room status. Our room was ready and they let us check in. The check in went smoothly. We had was a 1 bedroom condo in the White Pine Lodge. The room was clean and view of the lake was incredible. The ski lockers were great too. We had 4 pairs of nordic skis and 2 alpine skis in there. It was nice being able to go through the front doors and change skis at will. Housekeeping serviced the room every other day and they did a great job. The kitchen was nice so we could cook a couple of our meals. We enjoyed the $9.00 fresh pasta dinners from Pend Oreille Pasta and Wine a couple of nights which were very delicious. The condo was quiet at night which made for great rest time. There are washers and dryers on the floors so you don't have to bring a lot of clothes with you. Oh, and the skiing was great too!! This was a great place to stay and we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank atomicrs11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandpoint
Best Western Edgewater Resort
Hotel Ruby Ponderay
Hotel Ruby Ponderay
#1 of 3 in Ponderay
Pend Oreille Shores Resort

Been to Schweitzer Mountain Resort Lodging? Share your experiences!