“Hidden Gem”

La Quinta Inn Sandpoint
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Sandpoint
Reviewed November 13, 2012

So having read the mixed reviews of this hotel I was a bit dubious but I got a really good rate through Hotwire and decided to give it a try. It is awkward getting in and out of the place because of the one ways. The hotel is made up of three buildings across three blocks, however it's right near shopping and restaurants so you can walk. We stayed in the main building. The room was updated, clean, and the beds very comfy. Being on a trip with three women we really enjoyed the second sink in the main shower area and the spaciousness of the whole room. The breakfast was pretty standard but for the price I thought it substantial. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the main building. The rooms are very good and its close to the breakfast and e...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
laquinta0470, Front Office Manager at La Quinta Inn Sandpoint, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Thank you for posting on Tripadvisor.
We hope to see you again next time you visit Sandoint ID.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

For the local area, this hotel is outrageously over priced.
There are a number of more modern hotels in town which offer a similar, or better, room for $25.00 a night less.

Despite what is indicated elsewhere on this web site, I doubt if anyone has paid $69.00 for a room here since 1988. As of October 2012 the price for 2 was $20.00 higher.

The location has advantages and disadvantages. It is very centrally located in downtown, within easy walking distance to the shops on main street. The two main highways in Northern Idaho, US 2 and Highway 95 both converge at the hotel, so there is a considerable amount of traffic noise.

The rooms are larger than might be expected. But they are very blandly decorated.
The furnature in our room had seem much better days. the fold out sofa bed in the room was still in the room - even though it was obviously broken and a pain to sit on.

There is nothing particularly wrong about this property... but nothing particularly nice, or particularly memorable. Much like your typical Motel Six or similar property.

I am a regular patron at other La Quinta's and this hotel is substantially below any other LaQuinta property I have ever visited.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side AWAY from the main highway -- they are substantially quieter.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kelly B
laquinta0470, General Manager at La Quinta Inn Sandpoint, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

We do strive to ensure all our guests have a comfortable and pleasant stay. The sofa bed in that room does need replaced. Thank you for reminding me of this. I was remiss in not replacing it at the beginning of summer when we replaced other sofa beds. We will replace it.

We do care very much about our hotel and the level of service we offer. I appreciate all comments that help us in offering a better product to our guests. We are in the hospitality business and we feel that is defined as "that personal gift of caring". We care about our guests, our employees and our hotel.

Thank you for your assistance and comments.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Over-priced and disappointing accommodation. Bed was comfortable but room very worn out and dated. We were put in block away from main building, no lift and had to carry heavy suitcases upstairs. The plumbing is extremely noisy and you can hear next door flushing and running water. We had drunken, noisy people in room below. All-in-all would not recommend, especially for the price we paid.

Room Tip: Would not recommend any rooms in this hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
laquinta0470, General Manager at La Quinta Inn Sandpoint, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Hi Pauline, I am sorry you were disappointed with our hotel. We do have three seperate buildings included in our property. We have two buildings with elevators and you must have been placed in the third building near the whirlpool and fitness center. I am sorry you had noisy neighbors and were disappointed with the condition of the room. We are in the process of updating some of our rooms. I'd appreciate the opportunity to address the issues with you personally if you can contact me @ lq0470gm@laquinta.com. We want to be sure our guests all have a comfortable clean room and a good night's rest at our hotel. Again, I am sorry this was not the case with you and I'd like to make it up to you. Thank you for responding on Trip Advisor and bringint this to my attention.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

The bed is very comfortable, rooms are very spacious, 'fridge in the room was a nice touch and the location was great!

This La Quinta is on an awkward corner as you are heading north out of the walking area of town. I have looked at it many times traveling through or staying elsewhere. I got a great rate and decided why not try. I am very glad I did. Ok, so I agree it is nothing extra special, it is located just out of downtown so do not hope for "views" and the property is piecemeal separated by a street but for the value it was just fine. Clean, very comfortable beds, TV was a decent size and it worked and the hot tub was within 30 seconds walk from my room. Did I say pets were welcome too? And there was a small refrigerator in the room. The bathroom had a sink as well as just outside the bathroom too. That is a plus in my book so someone can use a mirror or sink while the bathroom is occupied.

If you ski there is plenty of space for equipment but the beds are tucked close to the wall on one side and heater on the other.

The building I was in was an "outside" access so you get to your room by walking down and open hallway covered but outside. We were on the first floor but it was raised up 6 steps so not ground level.

Walking distance to downtown was 2 blocks or so and there is Stone Mountain Coffee out the back one block over (or if you like Starbucks it is that two blocks to town and a block or two over...so also close by).

The front desk had brownies for guests and gave us a great recommendation for dinner as well as a coupon for a free appetizer! The Hydra Restaurant had a wonderful selection (on the high side of $ but worth it!) and my friend and I both had the most wonderful steaks! It too is only 3-4 blocks away near Second and Lake streets.

I paid way more for the Holiday Inn (new a few years back)near Schweitzer Mtn and had the worst night sleep...those beds had waterproof mattress pads that crinkle when you move and keep you awake. Plus they are not comfy beds either). I will not stay there ever again. Also paid more for the Best Western Edgewater (which yes...is on the water but the city park is so close by that it is easy to get to by walking. I suppose here I do need to offer that the Edgewater has rooms that accept pets and that open right onto a huge lawn facing the lake. La Quinta has a park right across the street that has a no dogs sign. The edge of the parking lot separating it from the roadway has a 2 foot grassy area only. So for travelers with pets this can pose difficulties. The city park also does not allow dogs even if on a leash but the Edgewater is right there and their lawn is pet friendly...just bring a bag!

Anyone that reads my reviews knows I rate on amenities as well as value. I have posted poor ratings on 4 star properties and good ratings on lower qualities places based on staff, cleanliness, bed comfort and most especially value. This La Quinta is nothing extra special. It is even on the older, outdated side. You can find other places around. But for the value, bed comfort, the easy access to town, allowing pets and providing breakfast, it was worth the one night stay for me.

Room Tip: If you like to use the hot tub at hotels this one was away from the pool near where we were in the...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
laquinta0470, Manager at La Quinta Inn Sandpoint, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2012

Thank you for the layout and nice coments about our hotel.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

The manager was exceptionally nice. We stayed one night en route north and liked it enough that we stayed two nights when returning home. Our room and bed were clean and comfortable. Both stays I used the guest laundry. The motel layout is quirky. It's been added on to, but that did not diminish our stay. The outside does look worn, but the the friendliness of the staff and the clean room made up for it. The restaurant located in the complex, Connie's Cafe, serves excellent homemade food.

Sandpoint is a charming little town and we took in the shops while there. MickDuff's Brewery also had great food and beer, but was loud.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

On behalf of my staff I would like to THANK YOU for your nice comments. We try to stand by the slogan. "hospitality is that personal gift of caring. it is me taking care of you because it is you"

A TripAdvisor Member
Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Just stayed five nights at the La Quinta Inn. I had read some less than desirable reviews online before leaving home. My Idaho family suggested this Hotel for it's central location, and it was very well located to everything. I went and checked it out on my own and was pleased with the whole set up. I had great parking and felt secure. Room was clean and stocked. Comfortable bed, it was all good. Breakfast was a good variety and free! I have no complaints about this stay. I would highley reccommend everyone do the same before passing this one up, this hotel was a good value.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 17, 2012

An ok place for a short stay. Reminds me more of camping. There are three buildings and we were in building three which I think is the oldest. Exterior needs remodeling (or at least cleaning). Exterior siding full of spider webs, windows dirty/ muddied and exterior entrances to rooms. The room wasn't actually that bad with appearance of renovated bathroom/room. AC not working in our unit. Corridor entrance also had bonus 'bat' 'hanging' out which freaked out my wife!
Continental breakfast included- typical muffins/yogurt/juice/coffee.

Room Tip: ASk for building one (newest building?)
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandpoint
Best Western Edgewater Resort
The Lodge at Sandpoint
Days Inn Sandpoint
Days Inn Sandpoint
#3 of 3 in Ponderay

Been to La Quinta Inn Sandpoint? Share your experiences!