“Great Mexican Cuisine!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Joel's Mexican Food
Ranked #2 of 89 Restaurants in Sandpoint
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Montana
“Great Mexican Cuisine!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

This is absolutely my husband's favorite place to go. Everytime he goes to Sandpoint. (I like it too). Excellent fish tacos!

Visited March 2013
1 Thank svenska4

Calgary
“I have been swayed by Joel's! (I thought I hated breakfast burritos)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stopped to get the big guy something for breakfast and then we were off to Spokane for a shopping trip. So we got the recommended 'Rebecca's Burrito' and jumped in the car. I was getting the burrito out of the package and ready to pass off to the big guy and I took the obligatory food tax (food tax - that's a small bit of someone else's food) and I could not believe how GREAT this burrito tasted! I said "You are going to love this...if I ever give it to you..." Wow, what a whole bunch of sweet, smokey and savoury tastes in one handful of tastiness! Big guy said it was the best thing he has ever eaten.
However, there is no way you can eat this and drive. You will need some napkins and to stay in one spot until you are done - but it is SO worth it! It wasn't too busy now in April but I could see this place getting busier in the summer - don't let deter you from the best thing you are going to eat! (and the people that work here are really, really nice - great customer service!).

Visited April 2013
1 Thank cinnamom24
Spokane, Washington
“A unique fun eating experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

Quirky, fun atmosphere ...best in summer when the side wall is opened to the outdoor patio for an open air authentic mexico feel , Delicious food!! the fish tacos are a must try! Has a small expresso bar also. It is nearly always BUSY so be prepared to take your time. It is worth it. friendly service

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank V G
Heron, Montana
“This Is A Guy's Kind of Place”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

My husband love's Joel because they have a good mole sauce. He would rate Joel's much higher, but I'm doing this review, so this is from a woman's perspective. I'm not fond of Joel's and rarely go there. Why? Its too noisy and cramped. If you sit in the back room, with cement floors, the noise echos around and hurts my ears. If you sit in the tiny front room then the milling people waiting to place their order at the front counter seem like they have their butt's backed up against my table and my food. No one waits on you, you place your order at the front, and then they call out on a loud speaker when its ready for you to pickup. They also don't give you chips and salsa. And, with the new overpass in Sandpoint, its hard to get to unless your destination is "downtown" Sandpoint, which always has its traffic problems. And, finally, the food. I"ve traveled all over Mexico, and South and Central America. Every province has their own way of cooking. Joel seems to use a lot of carrots, which I've never seen in what we gringo's label "Mexican Food". Once I ordered the specialty burrito of the day and it was filled with french fries. This place is more like a traveling trailer rather than a sitdown restaurant. But, the portions are large, the owners friendly and they have a really great business because its always packed. Plus, and this is a big plus in Sandpoint, it has lots of free parking. It also has a tiny sidewalk patio with rollerbladders, hippies, farmer's market shoppers strolling by so if you're into people watching, or want to wear your wet bathing suit as you eat, this is the place for you. Additionally, ITS GUY HEAVEN, apparently, because its packed with construction workers. Service is fast, food is affordable, and its all served in styrofoam containers. There's no waitress, so you don't have to tip. Not a good place to impress a date or take your wife on your anniversary. But, its a place my husband sneaks into whenever he goes to Sandpoint without me. Casual, large portions, affordable pricing,and fast service (its all precooked and they just have to heap your order into their takeout containers). Joel's doesn't compete with the other Mexican restaurants in Sandpoint because his business model is one of a kind. It works, this is the top rated restaurant in Sandpoint and its always packed. Guys, go for it. Ladies, beware of your diet, those french fries in their burritos probably aren't good for calorie counters. Tourists, try it, its a one-of-kind eatery and getting away from chain restaurants can be really fun. And, you may even see my husband there, shoveling down chicken mole!

• Visited May 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Amber B
“Family feel, authentic taste!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Great food, great service! They're always quick and chatty, Where else can you get amazing food AND a theological discussion!? :-)

1 Thank sunshinegilmore