“One Day Isn't Enough” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Selkirk Powder Company

Selkirk Powder Company
More attraction details
Owner description: Cat skiing and snowmobiling guides. We operate 3 cats and 10 snowmobiles in 200,000 acres adjacent to Schweitzer Mountain Resort in Sandpoint, Idaho. Come cat ski and snowboard "The FIRST STOP ON THE POWDER HIGHWAY", our snowy paradise, 40 miles south of the Canadian border.
Melbourne
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“One Day Isn't Enough”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

Selkirk Powder Company is up there as one of the best cat skiing outfits in the USA. If you’re trying to decide on your next ski vacation destination in the US, I’d head to Schweitzer just so that you can go cat skiing!

Like other USA cat skiing operations, it’s not in the same league as most of the Canada cat skiing companies with regards to terrain size, run length and safety regulations, but it’s still a pretty remarkable experience.

We had such a great day out cat skiing with Selkirk Powder. None of the terrain was particularly challenging and the snow was delightfully silky, so it was fabulous for a relatively cruisy experience and a lot of fun.

Major pros of Selkirk Powder include: the guides know the terrain and all its intricacies really well; tree skiing with lots of variety in tree spacing; and fast easy access to the cat skiing terrain.

Visited January 2013
kenbarrett, Director of Sales at Selkirk Powder Company, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Right on!! Consider the source here folks, this is Greg Doyle from POWDERHOUNDS.com,
"The knowledge base of ALL THINGS SKIING!" from down-under.
Greg and Lyndel came and visited in January 2013 and we had a great time skiing with these two enthusiastic seekers of fresh powder and great skiing.
To get an in depth review see Greg's Powderhounds.com

Placerville, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Selkirk Powder, Schweitzer”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

Our trip to Schweitzer was our best skiing this season. The snow around Tahoe and Colorado was disappointing so the 13 of us went to Idaho and had a great time. The day we spent skiing with the Selkirk Powder group was the best day of our best week of skiing this year! Our guide was professional and entertaining. The staff at the desk was thorough and reassuring. Ten of our group filled the Cat. The day was well worth the splurge. Go for it.

Visited January 2013
4 Thank havefun15
Hong Kong, China
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Converted to Pow”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

People always go nuts about powder skiing, and I never understood why. I’ve had some powder experience in Niseko Japan. It’s nice but not something to go cultish over.

After several years of being a caterpillar ski fanatic, my dad finally persuaded me to give it a try. 24-hour door-to-door commute later (from Hong Kong all the way to Sandpoint Idaho), I was thinking “this better be worth it”.

In so many ways, I was fortunate. A couple of days before going on the caterpillar, I was taken off terrain on Schweitzer mountain. The resort has no beginner runs, but a great variety of tree and off-piste skiing, and a back bowl that is just as expansive as the front. Heavenly for experienced skiers.

Came the day when my first caterpillar experience arrived. It snowed the night before and the sky was gorgeously clear. We were 6 skiers that day (the cat can take up to 10 people), and everyone was at near-expert level. I was intimidated.

Thankfully, our guide Dave gave a clear and concise briefing. The runs started out from manageable and gets progressively more challenging, which was perfect for a first-time powder hound. Ken the boss also joined us for a few runs, and guided us down some of his favorite routes.

By the fourth round, we were taken to a completely clear area. The virgin powder glistened in the sun. I was given the first line down, and OMG, it was like skiing on marshmallow. Looking back at my track, I was exhilarated. “I think we got a convert,” someone whispered to my dad.

The entire back terrain belongs to Selkirk, so we had 8 runs with fantastic views of the lake, and powder snow all to ourselves. Thomas, the mountain photographer, joined us midway and took some fantastic photos. The pictures are, of course, plastered all over my Facebook so I can show off to my friends.

The experience was well worth that 24-hour commute. Selkirk is definitely perfect for skiers of varied levels, maybe except for x gamer wanna bes. The guides and the owners know the terrain from the back of their hands.

As a swimwear designer, what I really want to do is this: have 5 beautiful models in bikinis creating their own lines down Uleda bowl with magnificent view in the background, and have Thomas take the shots!

Visited March 2013
6 Thank Stephpoon
Athol
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Snowcat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2012

Riding the snowcat to unskiied powder was great fun but limited black diamond terrain.

Visited January 2012
3 Thank Paul W
Charleston, sc
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Awesome powder skiing experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012

The Selkirk Powder Company is located at Schweitzer Ski Mountain. We went cat skiing with them and had a great day with fresh tracks on 8 or 9 runs. The guides are very knowledgable about the area and will even help with tips on powder skiing if you don't have a lot of experience. The Company also takes safety very seriously which is important when skiing in any area out of the ski resort. The Company provides ample snacks, water, and lunch. I would highly recommend them and we will be repeat customers!

Visited February 2012