“Best Middle Fork of Salmon River Trip”

Idaho River Journeys
Ranked #2 of 19 things to do in Salmon
More attraction details
Owner description: For over 40 years we have specialized in running the best multi-day rafting trips in the West. On every trip, we strive to exceed our reputation for superior customer service, careful attention to detail, and a crew of exceptional guides. We are a small, family-run outfit that focuses on personal service and providing a first-class river vacation. The reputation we hold so dear matches the high reputations of the Middle Fork Salmon. We look forward to sharing the experience of a Middle Fork Salmon trip with you.
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We went on our fourth trip with Idaho River Journey's and had the best time enjoying wilderness with great guides, gourmet food, beautiful scenery and fun fishing. We are signing up for next year. It is our most favorite vacation. Enjoyed wine and hors d'oeuvres by the campfire, soaking in natural hot springs and running cool rapids. The guides take care of everything and did I say how delicious the food is? Go with friends or family for the trip of a lifetime!

All reviews
"wine tasting"
"dutch oven"
in 26 reviews
"fly fishing"
in 34 reviews
"middle fork of the salmon"
in 31 reviews
"paddle boats"
in 7 reviews
"carrot cake"

Reviewed October 19, 2013

My parents and my wife and I went on a trip with IRJ in August down the Middle Fork of the Salmon. We are still talking about how breathtakingly beautiful it was. Coming from New England, the landscape and majestic mountains left us in awe. As for IRJ itself, it's hard to know where to even begin because everything was so perfect. The guides were top notch, friendly, professional, knowledgeable. They managed to always make it feel like fun was their #1 priority, without compromising the fact that safety was really their priority. The food was outstanding, feeding us delicious food such as ahi tuna, filet, and amazing desserts. They took care of everything and never missed a single detail. We cannot wait to join up with the IRJ family to do this trip again in the future! Do yourself a favor...book yourself a trip with IRJ!

Reviewed October 8, 2013

IRJ is a top notch, family run, river journey! We have done this two years in a row and are planning on going for three. The guides are incredible, the setting spectacular, and the fishing excellent! The crew is first rate in all areas; safety, fishing, camping, and friendliness. This is the outfit to go with! We would recommend this for all, especially families.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

My dad and I recently returned from a Middle Fork Fly Fishing trip with IRJ. This is one of the most memorable trips I have taken and is a trip I plan to take again in the future. Bob, Mary and their staff of guides were wonderful. The amount of care and energy each guide put into making this an excellent trip was amazing. The scenery was beautiful and meals were excellent. And the fishing...lets just say I lost track of the number of fish I caught.

See more reviews
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I went with IRJ on a Middle Fork of the Salmon trip in July, 2013.
First, let me say that the river is absolutely beautiful. It's going to be hard to forget the scenery, and the Impassible Canyon was just spectacular. If you have a chance to go, you should.
Back to the review: being that I have always tried to be self-sufficient when in the wilderness, it was a little tough to get used to the first class service that the guides continually provided. That lasted about a day. After that, I was just enjoying the luxury of the guides providing just absolutely incredible service and meals three times per day. We had ahi, steak, taco salad, pork (loin?), on and on. The guides were masters of the dutch over, too, making breakfast scrambles, brownies, and other goodies. The menu was carefully planned out and exceptionally well executed. I can not say enough good things about these guides. They were always there to help with anything, smiling and jovial, always with good attitudes and warm spirits. Two guides would leave earlier in the morning with our gear to go and set up camp. By the time we arrived, after playing all day, appetizers and camp were ready--we were free to relax with a cold one and enjoy the river. They were true professionals, with decades of experience and knowledge of the river. They let us find our comfort levels and watched over us, ready to I'm sure literally jump in if anything went squirrely. I had complete confidence in them the entire time. The few times that someone fell out of the boats (guilty right here, but in my defense, I was trying to unhook a fish as we went through a rapid), the coordinated response was well-rehearsed choreography. I never, at any time, felt unsafe on this trip, despite running many of the more, uh, challenging rapids in the inflatable kayaks and taking a swim with my fly rod. The guides were also good naturalists and tour guides, giving us all the info on what we were to see throughout the canyon and spotting all sorts of wildlife that I'm sure I would have missed. In addition, they put me on to great fishing out the front or back of the oar boats--I caught cutthroats until my arm was worn out.

IRJ puts on quite a trip. I'd go back to the Middle Fork in a heartbeat, and I wouldn't for a second consider another group to take me. The people who run and work at IRJ are some of the most friendly, organized, and experienced people that I have come across. Go do the Middle Fork of the Salmon with IRJ--you won't be disappointed.