“Idaho River Journey's Middle Fork of the Salmon Fishing trip....” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Idaho River Journeys

Idaho River Journeys
Ranked #1 of 16 things to do in Salmon
More attraction details
Owner description: For over 35 years we have specialized in running the best multi-day rafting trips in the West. On every trip, we strive to exceed our reputation for superior customer service, careful attention to detail, and a crew of exceptional guides. The reputation we hold so dear matches the high reputations of the three rivers we run. We only run designated "Wild and Scenic" rivers which means that no matter which trip you choose, whether it's the Middle Fork of the Salmon, Main Salmon or Rogue River, it is guaranteed that you will be floating down one of the most spectacular rivers in the world.
“Idaho River Journey's Middle Fork of the Salmon Fishing trip....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

We went on the Middle Fork of the Salmon with IRJ last September and didn't know what to expect. From the minute we arrived at the Stagecoach Inn and met Mary and Bob, we knew it would be a special trip. My husband and I have floated down the Smith River a few times and loved it, so when our friends invited us to go with them down the Middle Fork, we jumped on the opportunity. We flew into the Frank Church wilderness and landed just adjacent to the river, met our guides and boarded our rafts - and had the most incredible fishing and camping for the next 5 days! The weather, the scenery, the fishing - and of course, our amazing guides, made the trip that much more amazing. What we found surprising, is how educated and interesting our guides were for our trip. We had Skip and Will (Bob and Mary's boys), Brian, Nate and Seda! All so personable and extremely helpful.....The food was fantastic - OUR GUIDES HAD A BIRTHDAY CAKE FOR MYSELF AND MY FRIEND- ON THE RIVER!!! I've never experienced that before. We felt sooo special!
What can I say? We loved our trip so much that we HAD to go again! We just got back from our second trip on the Middle Fork of the Salmon with Idaho River Journeys - and had an even better time this year! I know that's hard to believe. It was just like "coming home". We got off the plane this year and had hugs all around because for the most part - we had the same amazing guides this year! This trip we added Bob and Mary's second born son - Matthew - to our guide list and also a family friend - Jim Lino! It's a family trip, a couples trip, a friend's trip - you could make it a business trip - and I would recommend going it alone, too! This year the float was equally amazing and completely different. Same stretch of river, but different conditions. We had the opportunity to fish the side creeks that feed the Middle Fork this year. What beautiful country, and what beautiful fish! Seda gave me and my friend Teresa private lessons, basically, and I am now HOOKED (no pun intended) on flyfishing.
Thank you so much Idaho River Journeys! Thank you Bob and Mary, and thank you Brian Chaffin, Seda Witton, Nate Moody, Will, Matt, and Skip Volpert and Jim Lino for the best trip ever! I think we might be back again next year....

Visited September 2013

Annapolis, Maryland, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“An extraordinary river experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

My wife, college-age son, and I enjoyed a fabulous week with the IRJ family. Even though only one of our three guides, Skip, is the son of IRJ owners, it was very clear to all of us that our other guides, Nate and Jo, were very much a part of Mary and Bob's extended family. The trip was well planned, the food was (overly) generous and tasted fantastic, and our guides projected confidence and competence at every turn on the river.

The greatest surprise to my family and me was the beauty of the Middle Fork to the Salmon River. An extraordinary place with fun/challenging white water, abundant trout (catch and release), and beautiful surroundings. One of the highlights of our trip was a pre-dawn hike (1.2 miles, 1,200 ft elevation change) to view the sunrise from a unique vantage point.

I would like to publicly thank IRJ owners Mary, Bob and our crew Jo, Nate, and Skip, for a memorable vacation.

1 Thank Charles_Goldblum
Colorado Springs, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A Life Time Event”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

It was a great trip! I cannot figure out how to describe our excellent guides. First, they employed tremendous energy cooking, guiding, teaching me how to fly fish, selecting and setting up camps and leading interesting hikes. They reacted consistently in a positive fashion no matter what weather, water, or fishing conditions presented us. They always knew just how to deal with the situation at hand. I really appreciate their wide variety of talents, experience and general river and wilderness knowledge. Their team work and professionalism shows great appreciation for preservation of the river, and what it has to offer future generations. I cannot recall having any concern out there. I’m sure it takes lots of splendid folks to come up with a high quality operation like Idaho River Journeys, and each of your guides really made it look easy.

Also, we enjoyed the very good equipment/supplies provided by IRJ. In spite of a little wind and rain, everything from the tents to “the kitchen” and the water proof bags functioned perfectly. It seemed to me that every meal was tasty, well prepared, and nutritious. The variety was excellent and the overall meal quality/quantity was always outstanding. Convenient hand wash points, with soap and warm water, as well as various other health and hygiene considerations received high priority, and were effective.

In summary, I felt encapsulated by the whole adventure and yet there was a considerable margin of safety in all directions – it was without doubt the best fishing/rafting trip that I have ever had.

Thanks. I’m home safe and sound, treasuring the memories, and every grain of Salmon river sand that I brought home . . .

Visited September 2013
McLean, VA
“Trip of a Lifetime”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I took our 3 children, ages 12, 10, and 7, on Idaho River Journey's Middle Fork trip this August and it truly was a trip of a lifetime. The scenery, the adventure, the hot springs, the river -- all were amazing -- but it was made all the better by the incredible IRJ guides. Their professionalism is unparalled, whether they are guiding us through fun rapids, leading us on the Little Pine hike (and practically carrying my 7 year old down the canyon), providing us history of the river, the pictographs, and the entire area, serving us incredible food with smiles and jokes, or positioning the rafts perfectly for wicked water fights. We had 4 families -- a group of 20, with 12 kids, and the guides made every minute of our day memorable. From delicious breakfasts, yoga by the river, riddles on the rafts, hors d'oeuvres in the evening, charades by the fire, talent shows -- they really understood the dynamics of our group and made it fantastic for everyone.
I can not recommend this trip -- or IRJ -- highly enough. Skip, Matt, Anya, Matt, Jo and Nate were incredible, a testament to the way Bob and Mary run their company.
Our family will always remember the amazing experience we had on the Middle Fork with Idaho River Journeys. And I am grateful to them for providing it for us!

San Diego, California
“Fantastic trip down the middle fork”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

We are a family of 5 from United Kingdom with children of 16,14 and 12. We have just spend 5 days rafting down the middle fork. Cannot speak highly enough of the professional service that Bob and Mary put on. All equipment,food and guiding were all of the highest order. The meals were gourmet style cooked with fresh ingredients in the middle of the wildness.

Not mention the guides who were all young professional and bubbling with enthusiasm at the end of a long season ... They made our trip. Any family reading this should give it a go, no Internet or mobile phones and a picture post card view round every bend of the river. It's trip we shall always remember and was made even more memorable by the guiding staff who we cannot thank enough. We will be back !!!!!!